Post-Game Talk: Kasperi "Fastest Player On Earth" Kapanen with 2 | Leafs 4 Kings 1 (Matthews doesnt score ~ bust)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Well you can sit there and try to knit pick all you like...but if we had Phil on the roster we wouldn't have had that shot at AM at all. We simply wouldn't have finished dead last, nor would we have Kappy or the pic to trade for Freddy.

That trade was one of the most pivotal in Leafs history.

It worked out for us, absolutely....but in terms of value I'm pretty sure we got hosed. :laugh:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
For second-line winger with good speed and a great shot, we got a second-line winger with great speed and a good shot and much better work ethic, for a fraction of the cost. Considering how badly Kessel was overpaid, we were lucky to get that much.

Reactions: Lauro

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
waived????..not gonna happen. this is a crazy overreaction to an underwhelming 7 game stretch. everyone's willy replacement, kapanen, had 10 point in 55 games until this promotion, andreas will be fine regardless of whether he produces in the next little bit. hes a 4th liner playing with other 4th liners...if he plays responsible and that line doesnt hemorrhage goals against babs will be just fine with him.

He's literally been useless offensively, and he's also 2 years older than Kapanen, he's 24. If he doesn't pick it up, he won't remain on the roster, period.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
He's literally been useless offensively, and he's also 2 years older than Kapanen, he's 24. If he doesn't pick it up, he won't remain on the roster, period.
last year he was great with the leafs, and he was great in the AHL playoffs as well, hes earned a bit of a leash. after ennis had a good 1st preseason game people were calling for him to replace nylander. sparks had a bad game, throw him away. people are so reactionary...we are 6 - 1.

its quite possible eventually something is done with him if he gets in babs bad books. but your statement that he "if he doesnt pick it up, he wont remain on the roster, period" has no validity to it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
last year he was great with the leafs, and he was great in the AHL playoffs as well, hes earned a bit of a leash. after ennis had a good 1st preseason game people were calling for him to replace nylander. sparks had a bad game, throw him away. people are so reactionary...we are 6 - 1.

its quite possible eventually something is done with him if he gets in babs bad books. but your statement that he "if he doesnt pick it up, he wont remain on the roster, period" has no validity to it.
if willi signs

i would rather keep ennis as the pine rider and let AJ have the developement ice time on the marlies.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
if willi signs

i would rather keep ennis as the pine rider and let AJ have the developement ice time on the marlies.
thats an option but hes not waiver exempt and hes in a perfect situation to learn up with the big club. he can learn the system, adjust to playing against NHLers while having 0 pressure to perform offensively. just like kapanen last year. we have seen much of what he can do here when hes on his game. i dont see goat as a player that deserves a chance over johnsson once nylander is back.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
if willi signs

AJ seems to lack the energy he had at the end of last season. He has had asthma issues before. I'm wondering whether it has cropped up again or if his medication turned out to be on the banned substances list (every medication I'm taking is banned by the world anti-doping agency).

P.S. AJ is subject to waivers. I'm guessing that he'd never pass through them as he would be a worthwhile project for many organizations.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
AJ seems to lack the energy he had at the end of last season. He has had asthma issues before. I'm wondering whether it has cropped up again or if his medication turned out to be on the banned substances list (every medication I'm taking is banned by the world anti-doping agency).

P.S. AJ is subject to waivers. I'm guessing that he'd never pass through them as he would be a worthwhile project for many organizations.
he also had a much longer season than most of our players. he deserves a bit of a chance to get it going. hes a good young player

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
For second-line winger with good speed and a great shot, we got a second-line winger with great speed and a good shot and much better work ethic, for a fraction of the cost. Considering how badly Kessel was overpaid, we were lucky to get that much.
In what world is Phil "10th-Highest-Scoring-Player-In-The-League-Over-The-Past-9-Years" Kessel a 2nd-line winger?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Exactly would you have replace him, then?

member 262271

Talky talky... no more talky. Johnsson will be fine - must we endlessly try to find faults and whine about this team? Yes, the answer is yes, my bad.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

I can't find it now but there was an article on AJ close to pre season where he talked about his off -season. He apparently trained a whole bunch of weird non hockey skill related stuff thinking it was going to make a difference for his game. Sounded really weird. Obviously it didn't pan out for him.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Out went Phil.. in came the assets and the lack of them at the right time to enable us to get

Matthews
Freddy
Kapp

That's a win no matter how you look at it.
Conveniently forgetting the 2nd round pick we gave up for Freddy thats not accounted for here.... or the 1.2 million cap hit for Kessel retention for another 4 years (where every penny counts)

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
let's put it this way, it's an enormous relief to see Kapanen producing a bit here. because that trade on the basis of value...yikes.

Phil did not have a lot of value at the time. Seriously, what did you expect to get for him? 8 mil contract, wanted to play for only a couple of teams, basically quit on his coach and team. It was a gutless performance by him (and the rest of the team) in the second half of 2014-2015. Let's call a spade a spade here. You shouldn't have expected to get a King's ransom for him at the time.

Reactions: napoleon in rags
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad