Karlsson vs Trade 'Haul' Stat Comparison Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Valid question.

I'll at least allow that it will provide numerical support for those who claim the deal was a massive fail.

eg.
Win-Loss record? Worse
Production of involved players? Worse

And will that make you feel better? Sometimes you just have to realize some things in life are crappy and move on.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
And will that make you feel better? Sometimes you just have to realize some things in life are crappy and move on.

lol wut

I'm saying it will provide concrete data points in an ongoing debate.

History is constantly debated and argued on. People aren't just going to move on and never look back.

This team , NHL players, none of them form core components of my identity.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't know anymore, did you edit your post? I forget my train of thought now, no worries. It would have been nice to get some D, but I would seem as though he took what he could get as it does take two to tango.

As far as if EK wanted to come back, sure why not, as long as he understands that it's not 'his' team anymore, there may be another group leading the charge at that point.

No the post you quoted is the same I posted.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Might as well update this since it's supposed to be the ongoing comparison thread...

San Jose got
Erik Karlsson 6GP 0G 3A 3P -5
AHL-Francis Perron 5GP 4G 4A 8P +3

Ottawa got
Chris Tierney 6GP 2G 6A 8P +1
Dylan DeMelo 6GP 1G 4A 5P +8
AHL-Rudolfs Balcers 4GP 4G 2A 6P +2
NCAA-Josh Norris 1GP 0G 1A -3

2019 1st round pick - currently projected 8th overall (w/ 19% chance of becoming top 3) *(this pick flips to 2020 if it falls below 15th overall)

2019 2nd round pick - currently projected 34th overall
*2020 2nd round pick - conditional if Karlsson re-signs

Interesting to see Perron do well for San Jose.

edit: added the picks

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Might as well update this since it's supposed to be the ongoing comparison thread...

San Jose got

Ottawa got

what about norris?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

San Jose got

Ottawa got

2019 1st round pick - currently projected 9th overall

I honestly don't believe that the draft picks will continue to hold the way they are, but goddamn what a coup that would be if it turned out that way. Would help ease A LOT of the pain of the last year+.

Reactions: Silencio

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

San Jose got

Ottawa got

Isn't it a 2020 1st?

SJ traded their 2019 for Kane.

Reactions: Icelevel

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

San Jose got

Ottawa got

Impressive stats in Senators' favor at this point in time.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I honestly don't believe that the draft picks will continue to hold the way they are, but goddamn what a coup that would be if it turned out that way. Would help ease A LOT of the pain of the last year+.

I don't believe it will remain this way, but it's still a sight to behold nevertheless.

That 1st round pick is very interesting... It's almost like a reverse lottery protection.

The 2019 1st round pick that is supposed to go to Buffalo (from the Kane trade) is lottery protected, similar to the pick we sent to Colorado. Meaning, if San Jose makes the playoffs, it goes to Buffalo, but if San Jose misses, Buffalo gets San Jose's 2020 1st round pick instead. But now, San Jose traded the other pick to us. So we actually get two shots at getting a lottery pick with that one pick. If San Jose misses the playoffs this year, we get a lottery pick in 2019. If San Jose makes the playoffs this year, but misses the playoffs next year, we get a lottery pick in 2020. With how old that core is becoming, and how quick and young the NHL is becoming, it's not that crazy to believe that the Sharks might miss the playoffs this year or next year. (look at how fast the Hawks and Kings have fallen from grace)

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I don't believe it will remain this way, but it's still a sight to behold nevertheless.

That 1st round pick is very interesting... It's almost like a reverse lottery protection.

The 2019 1st round pick that is supposed to go to Buffalo (from the Kane trade) is lottery protected, similar to the pick we sent to Colorado. Meaning, if San Jose makes the playoffs, it goes to Buffalo, but if San Jose misses, Buffalo gets San Jose's 2020 1st round pick instead. But now, San Jose traded the other pick to us. So we actually get two shots at getting a lottery pick with that one pick. If San Jose misses the playoffs this year, we get a lottery pick in 2019. If San Jose makes the playoffs this year, but misses the playoffs next year, we get a lottery pick in 2020. With how old that core is becoming, and how quick and young the NHL is becoming, it's not that crazy to believe that the Sharks might miss the playoffs this year or next year. (look at how fast the Hawks and Kings have fallen from grace)

I think the Sharks turn this season around pretty quickly. I've watched 4 of their games, and their play is much better than their record.

Next year, though, is interesting.
- I think Karlsson is heading to Tampa, or NYR if they get a top pick + sign Panarin, no matter what happens this year.
- Thornton will be 40 and a UFA, Pavelski will be 35 and a UFA, Burns will be 34
- They have some good younger pieces: Couture, Kane, Meier, Hertl - but I don't think any of those guys are gamebreaker
- Not a ton of exciting prospects coming up

With that said, Doug Wilson always seems to figure it out, so we'll see.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Another interesting aspect is the 2nd round pick we're getting this year. It's not necessarily San Jose's 2nd round pick. It's which ever pick between San Jose's and Florida's pick is highest. Florida's pick, ofcourse, ironically, is the one San Jose got for flipping Hoffman. So both picks we got in the deal are actually rigged in our favour.

Right now, Florida is really not looking hot, especially with Luongo out long-term. It could very well be an early 30's pick.

Reactions: DJB

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Besides SJ being my best buddy (and hockey rivals) team, I've never been cheering harder for SJ to choke than now. And even with the addition of Karlsson, Im still thinking they're primed for a huge face plant sometime in the near future.

Not sure if its going to happen as soon as this year, but I would be willing to bet money that it happens sometime over the course of this year or the next. Even my buddy who bleeds teal is anything but confident with the SJ core beyond this year. This really is their last chance to win a cup with their current roster.

It gets even worse when you consider we just took two of their top 4 prospects, and they dont have a 1st round pick for another 3 years. I really dont see Karlsson signing there long term, there's going to be a rebuild needed there, a long one, and he's going to inevitably become a part of it if he's resigning there.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah, what I don't get was all the people calling Wilson a genius. And saying that to sign a guy like Karlsson all you have to do is put the money on the table, so what's the hold up exactly? We were told this was the easiest negotiation in history and that any competent GM would have already had him signed. So what is Wilson waiting for?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Yeah, what I don't get was all the people calling Wilson a genius. And saying that to sign a guy like Karlsson all you have to do is put the money on the table, so what's the hold up exactly? We were told this was the easiest negotiation in history and that any competent GM would have already had him signed. So what is Wilson waiting for?

Karlsson made it very clear he would explore all his options.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Karlsson made it very clear he would explore all his options.

Be that as it may, that wasn't the narrative people were using just a month ago. It was all about how incompetent the Senators are and that any other GM in the league would have had this thing done ages ago because it's such a simple negotiation for a guy like Karlsson. I'm just wondering what people are speculating is the reason Wilson is being held back from extending the guy after they've had him for over a month now.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Be that as it may, that wasn't the narrative people were using just a month ago. It was all about how incompetent the Senators are and that any other GM in the league would have had this thing done ages ago because it's such a simple negotiation for a guy like Karlsson. I'm just wondering what people are speculating is the reason Wilson is being held back from extending the guy after they've had him for over a month now.

Apparently, people are saying Wilson can only offer a 7yr deal right now. He has to wait until after the TDL to offer an 8yr deal. Not sure why.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Apparently, people are saying Wilson can only offer a 7yr deal right now. He has to wait until after the TDL to offer an 8yr deal. Not sure why.

What a stupid and archaic CBA rule. Makes me wonder how many of these small items in the CBA are going to be major negotiating points in the next negotiation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad