Karlsson vs Trade 'Haul' Stat Comparison Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He obviously would have taken a big step regardless, but to think his point totals would be this high with EK still here eating up all the minutes and pp time, is also laughable.
Might have less point, might have the same or might have more. Chabot's talent was obvious to anyone paying attention and him breaking out this season was going to happen. He's currently on a hot streak and won't produce like this for a whole season.

They both could be on the same PP unit and could have played 30min together a night. Not sure where the flawed theory that you can't have two Dmen with their skillsets on the same PP came from, but it is not based in reality.

Pretending the Sens wouldn't be better off with both Chabot and EK is breathtakingly idiotic.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Might have less point, might have the same or might have more. Chabot's talent was obvious to anyone paying attention and him breaking out this season was going to happen. He's currently on a hot streak and won't produce like this for a whole season.

They both could be on the same PP unit and could have played 30min together a night. Not sure where the flawed theory that you can't have two Dmen with their skillsets on the same PP came from, but it is not based in reality.

Pretending the Sens wouldn't be better off with both Chabot and EK is breathtakingly idiotic.

Hey, I absolutely would rather have both. We'd be infinitely better. But anyone who's watched the team knew that it was run through EK. So no, Chabot wouldn't have the same amount of points or more points. It would be a lot less. Again, that wouldn't be a bad thing if we still had EK too.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Hey, I absolutely would rather have both. We'd be infinitely better. But anyone who's watched the team knew that it was run through EK. So no, Chabot wouldn't have the same amount of points or more points. It would be a lot less. Again, that wouldn't be a bad thing if we still had EK too.
With Raymond running the PP, yes it ran through EK.

With a different PP coavh, the PP looks different. You are free to assume that EK was the problem and that he is uncoachable.

I think he would adapt his game to adapt to new tactics and help exploit Chabots talents.

You'd have members of this board who like to smear EK to diminish the monumental stupidity of trading the best player in franchise history taking your side.

I'd have the evidence of EK playing on Team Sweden with Hedman and how he is willing and able to adapt his game to work with an elite partner, at even strength and the PP.

Reactions: Spence334

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

With a different PP coavh, the PP looks different. You are free to assume that EK was the problem and that he is uncoachable.

I think he would adapt his game to adapt to new tactics and help exploit Chabots talents.

You'd have members of this board who like to smear EK to diminish the monumental stupidity of trading the best player in franchise history taking your side.

I'd have the evidence of EK playing on Team Sweden with Hedman and how he is willing and able to adapt his game to work with an elite partner, at even strength and the PP.

That Team Sweden evidence is limited (Hedman wasn’t on the 2014 Olympic team) and doesn’t really prove your point. Hedman never produced much when on Karlsson’s team. At the World Cup Hedman scored 1 point in 4 games. At the 2012 World Championship Hedman scored 1 point in 8 games. At the World Juniors in 2009 Hedman scored 2 points in 6 games. Karlsson was the go-to offensive d-man on all those teams. I am confident in thinking that Chabot’s production would be far less if Karlsson was still here. But let me be clear, I’d much prefer him to still be here.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Where did I once say Karlsson was the problem? Reading is hard, I get it, but come on.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Where did I once say Karlsson was the problem? Reading is hard, I get it, but come on.

The implication of stating that the PP ran through EK and that it is the only way it could operate suggest that EK doesn’t have the ability to adapt his tactics or is unwilling to do so (uncoachable) . Hence, he is a problem.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
They both could be on the same PP unit and could have played 30min together a night. Not sure where the flawed theory that you can't have two Dmen with their skillsets on the same PP came from, but it is not based in reality. /QUOTE]

Burns and Karlsson on the same PP hasn't worked out as expected yet.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
The implication of stating that the PP ran through EK and that it is the only way it could operate suggest that EK doesn’t have the ability to adapt his tactics or is unwilling to do so (uncoachable) . Hence, he is a problem.

Your reading comprehension is terrible. It was clear EK was the focal point of the pp. Everyone on the team made sure to get him the puck. Even if Chabot played pp1 with Karlsson, he wouldn't have 22 points right now. I think that's pretty obvious. And no, I don't think EK was a problem in anyway. And I never said he couldn't adapt. He's a generational talent. Of course he can adapt.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Your reading comprehension is terrible. It was clear EK was the focal point of the pp. Everyone on the team made sure to get him the puck. Even if Chabot played pp1 with Karlsson, he wouldn't have 22 points right now. I think that's pretty obvious. And no, I don't think EK was a problem in anyway. And I never said he couldn't adapt. He's a generational talent. Of course he can adapt.
EK WAS the focal point. I never suggested otherwise. Some posters are suggesting that the PP would have remained the same this season and placed the blame on EK.

I have faith that Boucher could have designed a PP that would have utilized both Chabot and EK. The difference this season under his guidance is impressive and handing him more talent would have put even more strain on the opposing PK.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Yes trading him was stupidity, holding on to him and watching him walk away for no return is clearly how to do it smart

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man, the haul is actually looking like 6 solid assets. At this particular moment it's looking the best you could hope for with a quality vs quantity deal, and if Norris keeps on keeping on, and the pick is a good one, it could be a friggin home run!

This trade has the potential to be the best trade we've ever made, which is a tall task when compared to what our other superstar trade netted us (Yashin).

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Have to wonder if the proposed trade on the table from dallas would have benefited the Senators right now?
Shore
Honka
Dickinson
or Ritchie and some picks

I think it takes EK a while to get going. The system is different that Ottawa maybe its a conditioning issue.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Is it wrong I hope Karlsson tanks with San Jose but then walks to another team this summer and finds success?

Basically just **** San Jose and Doug Wilson specifically.

Agreed.

This is actually a very possible outcome, and a brutal one in terms of the assets they surrendered. If EK continues to have a season where he's not relied on for offence, and just kind of 'plays' in a system rather than having system tailor made for him would he really want to stay? Can he maximize his earning potential and his legacy potential in a situation like that?

It's not like SJ is looking like world beating cup favourites either, so what would be the strong motivation for EK to stay? I doubt the can afford to offer a massive long term deal either, not if they want to keep their core, but we'll see.

Honestly I see EK as being happiest, and best performance-wise, if he plays for a team where he is the #1D and can run the offence.

Reactions: pzeeman

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While a Chabot & EK pairing would be pretty good offensively it might also be pretty damn bad defensively, especially with the goalie tandem Ottawa has.

IMO EK was too expensive for a rebuilding team & given all the problems the team had the yr before & the Hoffman fiasco it just seemed like the time to move on & luckily it has worked out with the emergence of Chabot & Lajoie on D. IMO he was just another piece of the team that didn't quite make it & was in decline that needed to be turned over & start again with brand new pieces. He was the most expensive & best player who would return the most & made the most sense to move on from.

And they shouldn't stop there & need to move out about another 8 players or so before the start of next season.

Reactions: Variable26

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Here is my spin on the whole Karlsson and Chabot debacle

Maybe Chabot would have even more point if Karlsson was still here, with Karlsson going up against other teams top lines and Chabot getting easier match ups?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here is my spin on the whole Karlsson and Chabot debacle

Maybe Chabot would have even more point if Karlsson was still here, with Karlsson going up against other teams top lines and Chabot getting easier match ups?

Not sure Chabot is getting particularly tough deployment, at least the fancy stats don't suggest he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad