Karlsson vs Hedman: Who was the better defensemen at their best?

Better Dman at their best

• Total voters

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Sorry no, that's not how it works. As we discussed when the trade happened and people were suggesting it was 90 point season time, he went to San Jose and him and Burns split points instead.

On a better team the offense isn't flowing through solely one guy no matter how good, and frankly Hedman is a good comparison in this case because Tampa shows that.

Karlsson is absolutely the offensive lightning rod and instant offense and can do things like that on a shit team but when he's a cog in the machine rather than the machine itself he suffers the same fate as many others, the offense spreads out a lot more, even if there's a clear leader.

Reminder that I voted for Karlsson before the fan club pinatas me again.

I feel like using the San Jose trade as proof that he wouldn't put up better numbers on a better team isn't correct. He clearly hasn't been the same player since the 2016-17 playoffs, physically, and mentally. If we're discussing Erik Karlsson in his prime here, that's pretty far from 2018-2021 Erik Karlsson, which is probably the worst hockey he's played in his NHL career.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I feel like using the San Jose trade as proof that he wouldn't put up better numbers on a better team isn't correct. He clearly hasn't been the same player since the 2016-17 playoffs, physically, and mentally. If we're discussing Erik Karlsson in his prime here, that's pretty far from 2018-2021 Erik Karlsson, which is probably the worst hockey he's played in his NHL career.

I agree, but it didn't stop people from making the prediction, and it's not strictly an EK phenomenon, either. I don't want to sound like I'm picking on him, points typically get cannibalized in those scenarios, rather than piling on one player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad