Speculation: Karlsson Skips Season-Ending Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Karlsson needs to just be with his wife for awhile now, to grieve and then get better. None of this hockey stuff matters at all. I'm sure he'll be traded sometime this summer and they can make a new start.
I'd be okay with him taking all of next year off. This is just hockey guys, let's keep this on perspective. I'm sure he and his wife are hurting really bad inside and if he needed to take a year off for her and himself I'd NEVER think any differently about him. He's a fantastic player and seems to be a good guy but there are things in life that are bigger than hockey. Losing a parent or sibling is one thing, losing a child can break you. I wish him and his wife all the best.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Fair but even assuming he's healthy going forward, I think its likely to be a Duchene-style package instead of 2-3 major pieces.

Plus when he's old, if you say defenseman X is carrying the carcass of Karlsson around, you'll be like 5% (or however big that tendon is) accurate.
Yeah I guess we’ll see. Only one way to find out.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If they can pinpoint who it is, I'm pretty confident there would be a criminal harassment investigation launched.

It's also clearly libel, and I imagine given the families resources they would have no problem bankrolling a libel suit until whoever this is, is on their knees.

edit: Heck, they could crowd fund a libel suit and the fans would bankroll it.

Not necessarily. Not a lawyer, but from what I understand about libel, it has to meet two criteria:
1) It has to be false
2) It has to have caused damage financially or with reputation.

That said, the person who wrote it sounds like a terrible Human who deserves to be isolated.

As for Karlsson, I'm just glad he can be home with his wife. I'm fortunate enough not to lose a child, and can only imagine the emotional devastation. Not sure I'd want to be alone while my spouse is working out of town, either.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Considering what's happened to him personally, I've taken my focus off Karlson, he's got bigger fish to fry than anything hockey related

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If any of you have ever lost a child you should know how hard it is. Very testy not just coping with the loss on your end, but with helping your mate. I know more than a few people who have destroyed their relationships in the process, trying to make sense of it all

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I wonder if they can track that guy down through his IP address. If any expert on the subject is willing to chime in, I'd be curious to know what the authorities can do to track down this *******.
People that do this are almost always one or the other of very dumb or very smart. If he is dumb he did everything under a common IP address. If he’s smart he used a VPN and the likelihood of finding him is very slim.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
People that do this are almost always one or the other of very dumb or very smart. If he is dumb he did everything under a common IP address. If he’s smart he used a VPN and the likelihood of finding him is very slim.

It’s a she most likely since the person attacked his wife not him.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Ottawa will have a terrible D core if EK is traded. The Duchene trade is looking brutal.

Apart from the 1st it's looking pretty good I'd say...Duchene has been an animal since the end of December, Turris not so much

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Apart from the 1st it's looking pretty good I'd say...Duchene has been an animal since the end of December, Turris not so much

The only part of the trade I was disappointed with was the 1st. I was mad even when I though it would be in the 20's because Turris and Bowers should have been enough to give up (the 3rd was to get Hammond off the books). The 1st was overkill. Dorion is a great scout but not very good with asset management. But if they rebound a bit next year and get at least average goaltending and keep Karl, it shouldn't be a lottery pick.

Reactions: branch

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Brutal? He's been their best player this year.
Yes I am aware how Duchene has gotten his act together in Ottawa. However, basement teams should never trade valuable future assets for a forward in his prime. Duchene was on the block for a long time and had a very poor season, yet Dorion still managed to overpay. This trade will look very bad once the assets Colorado got start making the NHL and Duchene begins to decline.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Yes I am aware how Duchene has gotten his act together in Ottawa. However, basement teams should never trade valuable future assets for a forward in his prime. Duchene was on the block for a long time and had a very poor season, yet Dorion still managed to overpay. This trade will look very bad once the assets Colorado got start making the NHL and Duchene begins to decline.

No question that Dorion gave up significant future assets to get Duchene. I think I'd be more upset if Ottawa's prospect pool wasn't as deep as it is, with a top 5 pick and Pittsburgh's 1st still to come this year.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
You guys will be eating **** when we trade Karlsson AND make the playoffs next year.

(This is where I step out before the hate reaches next level)

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
What makes you think its a guy? I'm getting super-catty vengeful vibes here.

FWIW I agree with you. Some other things I noticed:

Individual does not speak English as their first language. Says things like "pain killer medication" instead of the commonly used "pain killers" short version. Also attempts to use proper grammar/complete sentences, but falls short.

Individual refers to Erik Karlsson's wife by her name, instead of saying "your wife." Not entirely sure what that means, but it certainly pops out to me. Generally, if you've never met someone's wife, it is unusual to refer to them by name. This person went the extra step to make it very personal. This could suggest familiarity with EK. Could also be an indication that this is an obsessive stalker who is in love with EK and resents his wife.

Would be curious to see some more of the troll's tweets just to see what else I could glean from them.

Edit: I'm no FBI profiler or anything, but have received some training from the good ole DOD on scientific content analysis. Not the absolute most useful tool in the toolkit for a huminter, but frankly, it was some of the most interesting training I ever got. Highly, highly recommend any books on the subject for anyone who has a remote interest in it.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
back to hockey as to his future. Sens are in a rebuild/retool and trading him will bring back the elements of building for the future. The change over from the cup teams today will be losing their stars is retirement or some decline. If I am the Sens I build for a cup contender say 2021 or so. The future with Toronto, Flyers, Devils maybe the Canes and Columbus will emerge as cup contenders. As a Pens fan, the Pens, Caps, Bruins are playing stars who are mid 30's by then.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I don't blame him. Nothing to play for at this point and so much going on at home. I honestly wouldn't have blamed him (or anyone going through the loss of a child) for taking the rest of the season off when he first found out. Hopefully he can get some time away from everything and he and his wife can properly work through their grief. Good luck to him and best wishes for his family.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
I'd love for the Pens to make a run at EK65, unfortunately we don't have the necessary pieces to make a reasonable offer.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I would really love to see Karlsson in Colorado - they would be even more of a treat to watch than they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad