Confirmed with Link: Karlsson mega thread vol 6: five stages of grief edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
it's only sportball. And it's always glass half full for anyone lucky enough to have a team in their city. Bring on the Khris Tierney era!

TheGeneral

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
www.blogger.com
Yup. I'm out. As I texted in to the radio, I'm beyond done with this franchise so long as Melnyk is at the helm. They will NEVER get another dime from me. Here's why.

IF - Erik wanted to leave, I'd respect that, and I'd accept a lower return.
IF - Erik wanted to stay but as part of the rebuild we got a massive return, I'd disagree, but I'd respect that.
IF - Erik wanted to stay, but we got a limited return of some pieces but also offloaded bad contracts leaving room to sign / trade for others, I may disagree but I'd respect that.

What did we get?

A lie from the owner. Straight from Dorion's mouth (Sorry PD. You're a good guy. You're a great scout. You're a mediocre to poor GM that's unfortunately throttled by the owner.) Erik did NOT ask for a trade. It was "BEST" for the organization to trade him for good pieces; an unbelievable return. It was a tough call, but "BEST" thing for the organization.

Well no it wasn't. We got a very very very underwhelming return. How do you know? Even when you "win" a trade, the team losing pieces gets mad sometimes. They have emotional attachments to their players, the fans that is. In this case? They are all elated. They would have been fine giving more.

Erik did not want to go.
We did NOT get a good return.
Melnyk did not want to pay Erik.
Melnyk will never pay anyone.
Melnyk will never ice a good team.
Melnyk lies to his fans, team, city, players, staff.

#Melnykout.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Button Trade Verdict: Not enough quality return for superstar Karlsson

And Mr. Button always tries to be polite and look at whichever bright side can conceivably exist in any given situation.

(Video posted on TSN)

https://www.tsn.ca/

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Yup. I'm out. As I texted in to the radio, I'm beyond done with this franchise so long as Melnyk is at the helm. They will NEVER get another dime from me. Here's why.

IF - Erik wanted to leave, I'd respect that, and I'd accept a lower return.
IF - Erik wanted to stay but as part of the rebuild we got a massive return, I'd disagree, but I'd respect that.
IF - Erik wanted to stay, but we got a limited return of some pieces but also offloaded bad contracts leaving room to sign / trade for others, I may disagree but I'd respect that.

What did we get?

A lie from the owner. Straight from Dorion's mouth (Sorry PD. You're a good guy. You're a great scout. You're a mediocre to poor GM that's unfortunately throttled by the owner.) Erik did NOT ask for a trade. It was "BEST" for the organization to trade him for good pieces; an unbelievable return. It was a tough call, but "BEST" thing for the organization.

Well no it wasn't. We got a very very very underwhelming return. How do you know? Even when you "win" a trade, the team losing pieces gets mad sometimes. They have emotional attachments to their players, the fans that is. In this case? They are all elated. They would have been fine giving more.

Erik did not want to go.
We did NOT get a good return.
Melnyk did not want to pay Erik.
Melnyk will never pay anyone.
Melnyk will never ice a good team.
Melnyk lies to his fans, team, city, players, staff.

#Melnykout.
I agree with most of what you say, but i think that Karlsson wanted to stay only if Melnyk was willing to spend and contend for a cup and when Melnyk said no, then Karlsson was right to wanted out, he wants to win a cup.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Read the SJ thread on this trade.

They are in shock.. because they can't believe they landed Karlsson for basically nothing. They do not care one bit about the pieces going out. And they shouldn't.

It's a heist of legendary proportions.
It is akin to us trading Smith, Harper, future 1st (in the 29 range), 2nd, White and Chlapik for Doughty

It's sad, that the above package is comparable.

The last time we got "diamond in the rough" prospects, Dorion was telling us how Paul and Guptill were unbelievable prospects.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Read the SJ thread on this trade.

They are in shock.. because they can't believe they landed Karlsson for basically nothing. They do not care one bit about the pieces going out. And they shouldn't.

It's a heist of legendary proportions.
Yes they are dancing naked in the streets in SJ, they didnt have to give up anyone of their top 6 guys and any of their top 3 defensemen.

Reactions: TheGeneral

TheGeneral

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
www.blogger.com
I agree with most of what you say, but i think that Karlsson wanted to stay only if Melnyk was willing to spend and contend for a cup and when Melnyk said no, then Karlsson was right to wanted out, he wants to win a cup.
Yup. I think that's accurate. Which is why I'd be ok with options 2 and 3 I posited where I wouldn't be thrilled, but would have been fine with him leaving under those conditions.

In any case, I think there is a consensus amongst our fans and NHL viewers in general. Ottawa got fleeced.

As far as I'm concerned, the senators organization is dead.

Got sick when Alfie left. Went on to palliative care.

Erik and some others brought in some new revolutionary treatments, outlook looked better. We may have recovered.

Then Melnyk pulled the plug. Refused treatment. Too costly. Killed the Senators for good today.

RIP. 1992-2018

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
It is akin to us trading Smith, Harper, future 1st (in the 29 range), 2nd, White and Chlapik for Doughtey

The last time we got "diamond in the rough" prospects, Dorion was telling us how Paul and Guptill were unbelievable prospects.

I like that Bowers, a first round pick and Dahlen go out they are expendable, but when lesser assets come in the door they are tremendous building blocks. It makes zero sense.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is akin to us trading Smith, Harper, future 1st (in the 29 range), 2nd, White and Chlapik for Doughtey

You think that one of the guys we got today is on the same level as White?

That would be pretty encouraging.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Couple things that really confuse me

1 - if this was decided in February, then what was the point of trading Hoffman for scraps?

2 - what is with Dorion's obsession with trading out of conference? That is a strategy which makes sense for competitive teams and only if the difference in return is not large. Yet Dorion keeps trading players out West for absolute garbage returns despite the Sens not being a good team. It's like he doesn't understand the concept of why a GM would decide to take a lower return for out of division/conference trade, he just does it because he thinks it's always going to be a good idea.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Yup. I think that's accurate. Which is why I'd be ok with options 2 and 3 I posited where I wouldn't be thrilled, but would have been fine with him leaving under those conditions.

In any case, I think there is a consensus amongst our fans and NHL viewers in general. Ottawa got fleeced.

As far as I'm concerned, the senators organization is dead.

Got sick when Alfie left. Went on to palliative care.

Erik and some others brought in some new revolutionary treatments, outlook looked better. We may have recovered.

Then Melnyk pulled the plug. Refused treatment. Too costly. Killed the Senators for good today.

RIP. 1992-2018
Its depressing because we cant keep our star players, and when we make trades will always come out on the losing end. And we dont have any direction. we are like a feather floating in the wind!! I feel your pain brother.

Reactions: TheGeneral
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad