Speculation: Karlsson launches Ottawa based Anti-bullying charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
His issues have nothing to do with the city and everything to do with ownership of the Sens. He said on multiple occasions that he loves the city and will live here when her retires, I believe him and would not hold a grudge if he leaves.
After playing 7+ years in Tampa I don't see him retiring to Ottawa.
:naughty:

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I suppose if anyone here could actually provide an example of star player in their prime opening a charity in their former city AFTER they've been traded (or at the very least after its become public that they wont resign there), I'd be ready to admit that this might just be a kind gesture by EK on his way out (and/or a tax write off).

I've literally never heard of this happening before, not one example. Lebron opening a school in Ohio - the place that he was born and raised in - after signing with LA does not friggin count either...There are a few more factors at play there...

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4816501

The fundraising walk raised $50,000 for programs in Ottawa schools. :thumbu:

The charity is called "Can't Dim My Light."

Its aimed at anti-bullying in schools.
Very nice thing for Karlsson and his wife to do :)

Does this initiative look like the work of someone desperate to get out of Ottawa?

sounds like a cry for help to me

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Players also do this to not pay as much taxes.

But I'd hope the Sens and Karlsson work something out.

On the Ottawa Senators, like nobody in the league needs a make-over like the Ottawa Senators.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's a good cause, but IMO it won't do any good. No one gives a f*** about bullying until it happens to popular kids or it devolves to the worst case scenario. I say this as someone who was bullied relentlessly and still gets bullied in adulthood.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
That very well may be true. Still, doesn't mean that he doesn't love the city.

First, this campaign is a great thing. However, Karlsson may love the city, but that doesn't change the foregone conclusion that he will be traded. Here's three things to be considered:

1. You don't start a charity, have a fundraising platform, website, an e-commerce platform set-up in a week. This has likely been in the works for months (at least 2-3).

2. Karlsson most likely said he would not agree to a deal publicly until his event was off the ground, so his trade didn't take focus away from such a great cause. Chances are, he is traded within the next 72 hours.

3. The owner publicly releases a "PR Video" the day after Karlsson's charity. Step 2 in the process before announcing you have traded Karlsson.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Next Pirates of the Caribbean movie will feature new character: Captain Erik Sparrow:

erik-karlsson-eugene-melnyk.jpg

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You don't understand how write-offs work do you? If he donates "x", he doesn't get "x" off his taxes, he gets a percentage of "x" back, meaning he will still end up paying more between taxes and the donations than if he made no donations and just paid his taxes.

Not exactly true.

Say I made 25k. If I donated 5k, at tax time the government would only consider 20k of my income as taxable income. Immediately that puts me on a different classification for tax purposes and I’m eligible for a lot more than I otherwise would be.

Take PK for example. He didn’t donate 10m to charity, he started an organization that is trying to raise 10m. Pk is donating 1m.

So after the tax breaks, Pk is losing 400k. I don’t know if pk is doing it but I have heard of other players having their charities license the use of their name and or pay them for appearances. I’m assuming pk is not doing that but for pretend math, it’s not hard to see how a player gets the reputation for donating 10m but can actually be milking it for a profit. And that’s not even factoring him the good press which earns him sponsorships and jersey sales. Pk has built his brand up so well that his 400k loss was really just an investment in himself.

But yeah, sorry that had nothing to do with EK. I don’t like this at all, EK’s wife doesn’t come out looking good at all from this. Hoffman’s gf is claiming that EK’s wife excluded her from the events and gatherings of senators wives/gfs and turned everyone against her, this makes for bad optics on the whole situation.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
You don't understand how write-offs work do you? If he donates "x", he doesn't get "x" off his taxes, he gets a percentage of "x" back, meaning he will still end up paying more between taxes and the donations than if he made no donations and just paid his taxes.

That's what I mean. It's me saying: 'long-story short.'

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Lol. I love how this thread wasn’t created to credit Karlsson on taking a huge charitable initiate. Instead it’s an Ottawa fan trying to convince himself that Karlsson won’t be moved.

Exactly. Good for him. Fans need to separate love for the city/community and love for the team/franchise. Just because a player has a falling out with team management doesn't mean he has to turn his back on the city and fans. I'm sure that Ottawa is important to Karlsson and he will likely always have connections to the city even if he moves on. Just because he started a local charity does not automatically mean he wants to stay. Maybe he just wants to look like the good guy if/when he is traded, or maybe he actually IS a good guy and he would have started this charity no matter what happens.

I have no doubt the Sens are doing all they can to persuade EK to stay, and maybe he will. But let's not jump to conclusions based on this post.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Sensung has already admitted he was wrong about Karlsson I see no need to keep bringing stuff like this up. And to be honest, while he was wrong that Karlsson would eventually be traded, he was absolutely correct in that it was a stupid decision.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sensung has already admitted he was wrong about Karlsson I see no need to keep bringing stuff like this up. And to be honest, while he was wrong that Karlsson would eventually be traded, he was absolutely correct in that it was a stupid decision.

A monkey could have came to that conclusion.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
A monkey could have came to that conclusion.
Not exactly. The Senators have long been speculated to have a 68 million dollar budget. With the new trend of large signing bonuses and money up front, Karlsson will likely command ~13 million dollars the first 2-3 years. Add in Ryan’s (almost useless) 7.5 million and that’s 20.5 million (30% of their entire cap). That’s not to mention Gaborik/Anderson/Smith/Condon/Phaneuf retention contracts and the fact that Duchene/Stone/Dzingel also need new UFA deals. It was an accounting nightmare that was in large part fixed by the removal of Karlsson. In my opinion, the correct decision was to package Ryan with Brown/White to lose that contract and maybe lose Smith as well for a 7th or something. It wasn’t as easy as you might think. What the Senators didn’t consider is that Karlsson will probably be an effective dman for the next 10-12 years and could still easily be part of a retool. Chara left the Senators at the same age as EK is now and he’s still going strong for the Bruins. Sensung knew this which is why it has been so frustrating for him as a fan can only sit back and watch.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
It's a good cause, but IMO it won't do any good. No one gives a **** about bullying until it happens to popular kids or it devolves to the worst case scenario. I say this as someone who was bullied relentlessly and still gets bullied in adulthood.
Well, that sucks......
But if you can come in here to these ridiculous boards, you are definitely able to withstand any bullying you face now!

Seriously, hang tough

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not exactly. The Senators have long been speculated to have a 68 million dollar budget. With the new trend of large signing bonuses and money up front, Karlsson will likely command ~13 million dollars the first 2-3 years. Add in Ryan’s (almost useless) 7.5 million and that’s 20.5 million (30% of their entire cap). That’s not to mention Gaborik/Anderson/Smith/Condon/Phaneuf retention contracts and the fact that Duchene/Stone/Dzingel also need new UFA deals. It was an accounting nightmare that was in large part fixed by the removal of Karlsson. In my opinion, the correct decision was to package Ryan with Brown/White to lose that contract and maybe lose Smith as well for a 7th or something. It wasn’t as easy as you might think. What the Senators didn’t consider is that Karlsson will probably be an effective dman for the next 10-12 years and could still easily be part of a retool. Chara left the Senators at the same age as EK is now and he’s still going strong for the Bruins. Sensung knew this which is why it has been so frustrating for him as a fan can only sit back and watch.

Damn, that just made me realized...Joe Thornton failed to lead the Bruins to the promised land in his time with them. Then they got a superstar D from Ottawa and that superstar D led them to victory.

Thornton also failed to lead the Sharks to the promised land, and now they just got a superstar D from Ottawa...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I look forward to him shredding the Kings and the increased jealousy from Due Doughty fans.

I look forward to no longer read comments from Sens fans who won’t be able to watch Pacific Division games because it’s well past their bed times.

So, did that charity work end up keeping Erik Karlsson in Ottawa? Inquiring minds want to know.

Reactions: BM14

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Funny, the point of the thread was:

Does this initiative look like the work of someone desperate to get out of Ottawa?

Nice try. Do play again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad