Speculation: Karlsson launches Ottawa based Anti-bullying charity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Karlsson is only half the equation though. The bigger question is, and always has been, whether Melnyck is willing to pay him what he's worth to keep him in Ottawa. Everything we know about Melnyck would lead one to believe the answer to that question is 'no.'

It indicates he's an Ottawa Senator today. I agree he wants to stay. They aren't negotiating with him and tried to trade him.

You guys are still horribly missing the point that the OP made in the first post of this thread...

YES, its very unclear if EK will remain a Senator due to financial reasons. Nobody in their right minds will contest this fact.

But the entire point of this thread was that the poster is pointing out that it really doesnt appear that EK is trying desperately to get out of Ottawa. This is contrary to what people (even posters in this thread) are suggesting his intentions are. He appears to want to stay in Ottawa, and this is based on a growing body of evidence.

But yes please, someone remind us again that EM is broke and the Sens likely cant afford him. I think we were still all really unclear on that and needed a reality check again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensung

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I thought it was established that Karlsson loves Ottawa, it was just the ownership and direction of the team - as well as the Hoffman situation that brought this talk on? My guess is he'll continue this kind of work in Ottawa even after he leaves, IF he leaves.
Multiple reporters have claimed EK wants out.

Numerous posters have claimed EK wants out.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
According to a quick Google search, it takes about 2 months to process an application to start a charity in Canada. I wonder what happened a little over 2 months ago that might have been the impetus for Karlsson to file the paperwork to start an anti-bullying charity... :huh:

I'm also curious how doing something 2+ months ago is somehow indicative of his current mental state. 2 months is a long time, especially in the business of hockey contract negotiations.

Reactions: Hivemind

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You guys are still horribly missing the point that the OP made in the first post of this thread...

YES, its very unclear if EK will remain a Senator due to financial reasons. Nobody in their right minds will contest this fact.

But the entire point of this thread was that the poster is pointing out that it really doesnt appear that EK is trying desperately to get out of Ottawa. This is contrary to what people (even posters in this thread) are suggesting his intentions are. He appears to want to stay in Ottawa, and this is based on a growing body of evidence.

But yes please, someone remind us again that EM is broke and the Sens likely cant afford him. I think we were still all really unclear on that and needed a reality check again.

Ohhh, that was the point? Ohhh okay.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ohh okay. Thanks. I don't usually read OPs. I gotta start doing that.

It would help with arguing points that no one is talking about, to be sure.

Edit: so after a reread it appears you agree that he wants to be in Ottawa... and disagree that people are saying he wants out...

I'm not even going to bother continuing with that, there's enough evidence of that for anyone who cares to look.

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
honestly it seems like he's trying to connect with the community so that they don't hate him for leaving ala Tavaras.

Also (and in addition to the previous) could be doing it because he really believes in the cause.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
honestly it seems like he's trying to connect with the community so that they don't hate him for leaving ala Tavaras.

Also (and in addition to the previous) could be doing it because he really believes in the cause.

He doesn't need any brownie points with the fan base or community though, so I don't agree with that.

The fanbase knows that its ownership that caused the rift, and will not hold it against him for not signing with an EM run team.

Its without a doubt for a real cause that he believes in. But it still just doesn't line up with the intentions of a guy who has zero intentions of being a part of the community in the future.

Hes probably going about his normal life, and just crossing his fingers (like the rest of us) and hoping for the rumored ownership change, before it's too late.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
It would help with arguing points that no one is talking about, to be sure.

Edit: so after a reread it appears you agree that he wants to be in Ottawa... and disagree that people are saying he wants out...

I'm not even going to bother continuing with that, there's enough evidence of that for anyone who cares to look.

None of that matters, anyway. The OP was trying to further the theory that Karlsson is waiting for Melnyk to sell the team in 12,14,27,85 days, and the trade attempts are a ruse/threat to the buyers who are assuredly purchasing the team but need to be bullied into it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You know that it is possible that he loves the City but dislikes the team's owner and management. If they have another bad year why would he stay? Kessel for example still comes back to the city and brought the cup to the Childrens hospital here and say he loves the city.

Karlsson is likely in the same boat. Loves the fans, loves the city and has grown there with his family but that has no impact on his job. He can still live there in the summer if he wants no matter where he plays.

Hell, if he loved it that much he could sign up the highway and drive back and forth on his days off ;P

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Is is bullying to make public accusations about someone that lead to them being harrassed and threatened without proof?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He doesn't need any brownie points with the fan base or community though, so I don't agree with that.

The fanbase knows that its ownership that caused the rift, and will not hold it against him for not signing with an EM run team.

Its without a doubt for a real cause that he believes in. But it still just doesn't line up with the intentions of a guy who has zero intentions of being a part of the community in the future.

Hes probably going about his normal life, and just crossing his fingers (like the rest of us) and hoping for the rumored ownership change, before it's too late.

This is why I believe he hasnt made any statement or requested for a trade. He doesnt need to. In fact doing so makes him look bad imo. Hes the captain of that team and the face of the franchise. If he leaves in FA or is traded, there really is no blaming Karlsson in the fan base. Ask for a trade then you start getting some fans calling him all the different negative labels. Obviously not all but some would. I wouldnt blame him if he did ask for one and Im sure some Ottawa fans would feel the same, but I know for sure some would call him a diva or something. Maybe even the local media would. You never know how public would react to something like that.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4816501

The fundraising walk raised $50,000 for programs in Ottawa schools. :thumbu:

The charity is called "Can't Dim My Light."

Its aimed at anti-bullying in schools. Very nice thing for Karlsson and his wife to do :)

Does this initiative look like the work of someone desperate to get out of Ottawa?

His issues have nothing to do with the city and everything to do with ownership of the Sens. He said on multiple occasions that he loves the city and will live here when her retires, I believe him and would not hold a grudge if he leaves.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Maybe not desperate, but this certainly doesnt tie him to the location. Lots of players set up charities in locations and contribute to them even after leaving. As someone mentioned - Subban is a great example.

How dont see how the PK situation is comparable. He had already signed his long term agreement with MTL and by all accounts did not want to be traded.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How dont see how the PK situation is comparable. He had already signed his long term agreement with MTL and by all accounts did not want to be traded.

I'm sure it's been in the works since, at the very least, the event with his wife and Hoffman's fiancee happened. There's a lot of legal red tape that needs to be cleared with creating a charities - here in the states, anyway.

Also, if im not mistaken. Subban continues to support Montreal charities of his. He could have easily moved them and said screw it. Luke Schenn continued to do his Schenn's Soldiers or whatever it was called thing in Toronto after being moved to Philly. Im sure theres more examples, i just dont care enough to look.

Is it encouraging to see him still going through with it in Ottawa? Absolutely. Does it mean he 100% wants to stay? Absolutely not. He doesnt have to be in Ottawa for it, especially given i'd be willing to bet he has someone in charge of the charity anyway.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Lebron opened a school after he left Cleveland. The school was in Ohio, not LA.

EK isn't going to be the one running the thing.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Ya, because that is what is being suggested...

It speaks to his state of mind in a situation where he has limited control of the outcome.
He has a great deal of control over the outcome all he has to do is sign the contract ($80 million) that was offered by the Sens and he will be there for 8 more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad