Karlsson hadn't talked to Ottawa management since November

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
montreal says " hold my beer"

Price could feasibly carry the Habs out of the gutter and into a wildcard spot.

Ottawa has nobody who could carry anything.

That said, if Montreal, Detroit, Ottawa, and possibly Buffalo (I hope not) all suck this season, someone has to win some games against the other.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Price could feasibly carry the Habs out of the gutter and into a wildcard spot.

Ottawa has nobody who could carry anything.

That said, if Montreal, Detroit, Ottawa, and possibly Buffalo (I hope not) all suck this season, someone has to win some games against the other.
Price might keep some games close but have you seen our defense?

Having a goalie as the last line of defense is okay, if it's the only line of defense you might want to buckle up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Having a goalie as the last line of defense is okay, if it's the only line of defense you might want to buckle up.

I still have a healthy fear of Price. I remember some epic battles between him and Ben Bishop a few years back.

Ottawa is like... If anybody ever wonders what hitting "rock bottom" looks like in terms of hockey spirit? Look at Ottawa in September, 2018. It's like ownership shot the team in the face and left it in a hole in the desert. With its fanbase.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

If Price has a rotten season again Montreal will struggle to win 25 games. But if Price is game, horrible defence or not, 45 wins is attainable. He's the best goalie in the game when he's focused. And if he has a big season and the team goes nowhere, I think that will push him to asking for a trade.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
If I'm by far the best person on a team, and my drunken owner comes to yell at me for an uber-charge when I pretty much single-handedly got him like 8 home playoff games, I'd probably not talk to them either.
Did they really talk to him about an uber charge???

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Its crazy to think that in 1 year the sens went from 1 goal of being in the stanley cup final to being almost a lock for finish last in the standings
Stats showed their good season was a mirage and they were lucky to get as far in the playoffs as they did.
The problem was that management ignored all that and went for it by trading for Duchene after having already lost Methot who was good at covering up a lot of Karlsson's mistakes
Now they have even a worse team, having lost Hoffman and Karlsson, and Anderson is a year older.
It will be a very long year in Ottawa.

Reactions: BLONG7

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
This just shows how bad things can be. There are sure to be other players in this kind of situation. Unsigned RFAs, for example. How bad is it when a guy refuses to come to camp?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Article here: Erik Karlsson hadn't spoken to Senators management 'since November' - Sportsnet.ca

Not sure how accurate this is, but it makes sense. They reportedly offered him 10M x 8yrs but he claims he hadn't heard from them since giving his No-team trade list.

Interesting
It seems to me that since his I am getting paid what I am worth rant they knew they would not be keeping him...the way they went about getting players and picks back, sure did miss the mark also...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Stats showed their good season was a mirage and they were lucky to get as far in the playoffs as they did.
The problem was that management ignored all that and went for it by trading for Duchene after having already lost Methot who was good at covering up a lot of Karlsson's mistakes
Now they have even a worse team, having lost Hoffman and Karlsson, and Anderson is a year older.
Their goaltending that year was very very good and last year was very bad....great goaltending will cover up alot of issues, just ask the Habs.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Their goaltending that year was very very good and last year was very bad....great goaltending will cover up alot of issues, just ask the Habs.

Patrick Roy couldn't cover up Ottawa's issues last season, on the ice or off.

Reactions: BLONG7

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
They are also retaining $1,750,000 of Dion Phaneuf's contract until the 2020-2021 season.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Are you genuinely trying to imply that Erik Karlsson did not carry the Ottawa Senators in the 2017 playoffs, but that he did bring the whole team down in the 2017-2018 regular season?

I want you to say that. I want you to say it so that you can see just how ridiculous that sounds.
and i'd like for you to use your head for more then just a place to put your hair:nod:

Karlsson had a great playoff, but the guy who stops the pucks had a great playoff as well as did several of the forwards

how bout this, seeing as you know this for sure, please name me 5 other guys through the history of hockey who "carried their teams through the playoffs." It's a tough ask so if you can give me even 3 with conclusive proof and not hyperbole then you ...uhm.....win, I guess!

Last edited:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I still have a healthy fear of Price. I remember some epic battles between him and Ben Bishop a few years back.

Ottawa is like... If anybody ever wonders what hitting "rock bottom" looks like in terms of hockey spirit? Look at Ottawa in September, 2018. It's like ownership shot the team in the face and left it in a hole in the desert. With its fanbase.

so for the three pillars

goaltending goes to montreal ( otawa isnt awful, but price is better provided no injuries)
Defense ( sans weber) is close enough to be a wash, they are both terribad
Forwards ( prior to JGP injury) Ottawa gets the nod now its closer but I still think its ahead of montreal. At the vert least you have a real NHL 1C and still have stone ( at least for now)

I think that price will make a lot of losses closer than they should be, but with that defense and our persistent inability to score, he is going to see a lot of rubber from a lot of high scoring places

I will say that I think ( perhaps its a hope) that montreal's future looks brighter than ottawa's and we didnt have as much of the off ice stuff, but for next season I could absolutely see the sens doing better than the habs. both team will be bad, so its hard to say who is a lock for last in the east. The degree of teribbleness remains to be seen for both teams.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
and i'd like for you to use your head for more then just a place to put your hair:nod:

Karlsson had a great playoff, but the guy who stops the pucks had a great playoff as well as did several of the forwards

how bout this, seeing as you know this for sure, please name me 5 other guys through the history of hockey who "carried their teams through the playoffs." It's a tough ask so if you can give me even 3 with conclusive proof and not hyperbole then you ...uhm.....win, I guess!

anderson was good not great.

and who were these great forwards for ottawa? only bobby ryan played at a top line pace. bobby f***ing ryan. karlsson carried a lotto team

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would imagine its against the cba to spend the teams money on anything when your a player.
There is probably some very carefully worded stuff about allowing travel allowances.

Last edited by a moderator:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
anderson was good not great.

and who were these great forwards for ottawa? only bobby ryan played at a top line pace. bobby ****ing ryan. karlsson carried a lotto team
Anderson's 2.34 and 922 won them some games they shouldn't have won

Lottery team?????? 98 points is a lottery team....high expectations somewhat

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'm starting to get the impression that things may not be going too smoothly in Ottawa.

We should keep an eye on this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad