Karlsson hadn't talked to Ottawa management since November

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The issue I have with this line of argument is that, whether it’s true or not, Ottawa tends to run guys out of town once it becomes clear that they aren’t staying.

That’s the team management and it extends into the media.

It seems as if every player who leaves is somehow responsible for it and after awhile you just stop believing it.

Yeah, while I definitely believe @Sting , there's a pretty clear pattern by Ottawa management that has been amplified in recent times. It's like there has to be a villain and it practically always devolves into stories reported from behind the scenes.

Reminds me of the old saying if you run into an asshole in the morning, too bad, you ran into an asshole...if you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole. Ottawa management sure seems to be running into a lot of assholes :laugh:

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
He wanted out when he declared he was "going to get paid" last year knowing full well Ottawa's financial limits, he can fluff all he wants for the fans but he was never re-signing there. Kovalchuk did the exact same thing to Atlanta when he demanded ridiculous money knowing full well they'd never offer it, forcing them to trade him and then signing for less than what he "wanted" from Atlanta.

Could very well be that way but do you think he signs for 10 or less with San Jose? That is what Ottawa offered him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Could very well be that way but do you think he signs for 10 or less with San Jose? That is what Ottawa offered him.
It really depends on how the deal is structured. A deal with big bonuses and a NTC are huge. Plus, if San Jose offered JT 13 mil, I’m sure they pay Ek more than 10

Reactions: Iceman

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It really depends on how the deal is structured. A deal with big bonuses and a NTC are huge. Plus, if San Jose offered JT 13 mil, I’m sure they pay Ek more than 10
Yes, he is getting at least 11 in San Jose. Anything more than that he will need to perform this year for I think.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He wanted out when he declared he was "going to get paid" last year knowing full well Ottawa's financial limits, he can fluff all he wants for the fans but he was never re-signing there. Kovalchuk did the exact same thing to Atlanta when he demanded ridiculous money knowing full well they'd never offer it, forcing them to trade him and then signing for less than what he "wanted" from Atlanta.

I remember Atlanta offering a big contract, Kovy wanted them to guarantee the team's stability and they couldn't, so he asked to be traded.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I found it interesting that Anderson said something to the effect of "I've haven't been this happy in Ottawa in a long time" this was said after Karlsson got traded

talked to a couple of old time in-touch diehard Senator fans(seasons ticket holders from day 1) at the game on Wednesday, they also said that it was better for the team now that Karlsson's gone because of what they've been hearing for a couple of years now. I don't know what that means or even if they're right about what they were saying.

Melnyk is no peach and that's for sure, but there's been something wrong here for awhile now. I used to think it was the combination of Murray(I know, I know!) and Melnyk that seeped into the dressing room and added unnecessary poison, consider the merry-go-round of coaches over the last 12 years for starters.

Hopefully Dorion can shield the dressing room from Melnyk and let Boucher do his thing with these new kids, some of whom look really legit.

I don’t have a damn clue what was going on in the Ottawa dressing room and I won’t pretend to, but it is absolutely hilarious if the players think that trading Erik Karlsson helps their on-ice product in any way, shape, or form. Hell, they’re even dumber than Dorion if they’re happy about losing the guy who dragged their sorry asses to the playoffs every other year.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don’t have a damn clue what was going on in the Ottawa dressing room and I won’t pretend to, but it is absolutely hilarious if the players think that trading Erik Karlsson helps their on-ice product in any way, shape, or form. Hell, they’re even dumber than Dorion if they’re happy about losing the guy who dragged their sorry asses to the playoffs every other year.
no one player carries a team, one player can bring a whole team down though

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Not to confuse this, but the Scouts became the Rockies became the NJ Devils, not the Ducks (that would be the Mickey Mouse team). Just wanted to put that out there. I loved the old Rockies uniforms, and hated the Devils (still do) because they came to town and tried to convert all of us Ranger and Islander fans.

Wayne Gretzky was famous for calling the Devils a Mickey Mouse organization. I think that's what he was referring to.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
no one player carries a team, one player can bring a whole team down though

Are you genuinely trying to imply that Erik Karlsson did not carry the Ottawa Senators in the 2017 playoffs, but that he did bring the whole team down in the 2017-2018 regular season?

I want you to say that. I want you to say it so that you can see just how ridiculous that sounds.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Can someone please inform Melnyk that owning sports teams are a luxury, and that you aren't supposed to rely on them to make money?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I remember Atlanta offering a big contract, Kovy wanted them to guarantee the team's stability and they couldn't, so he asked to be traded.

Nope, Kovalchuk tried to use money as a way out of Atlanta without saying he wanted out. The whole situation is hilarious because Weddell twice called his bluff and offered him the terms he demanded until he said he wanted the league max contract, which no team would reasonably offer. The 101m x 12 years would've been the 2nd highest contract ever at the time, which met his 100m demand, he backtracked and said he wanted the leagues highest caphit, Waddell then offered him 70m x 7 years for a 10m caphit putting him above Ovechkin, guy declined and backtracked again saying he wanted maximum caphit. It's an ask that no team would fork out leaving them no option to trade him, he just wanted to play victim and essentially forced a trade because they were going to lose him for nothing otherwise and this way it doesn't look like he walked on his team.

Our goal from the start of this negotiating process was to sign Ilya Kovalchuk to a long-term contract," Waddell said in a statement. "During the process, Kovy affirmed his desire to be a Thrasher for life. We've spent several months exploring scenarios with Kovy and his agent to reach a mutually beneficial agreement and offered many lucrative packages in an attempt to meet his financial objectives. Unfortunately, we've reached an impasse and at this point he has declined all of our proposals and we can't reasonably go any higher.

"Ultimately, we offered Kovy more than $101 million over 12 years, which would have been the highest contract signed by an impending unrestricted free agent in the history of the league," Waddell said in the statement. "If accepted, this contract would have been the second-highest offer ever to any NHL player. We also met his desire to be the highest-paid player based on average annual salary with a separate offer of seven years at $10 million per year ($70 M). This offer is $0.5 million higher per year than any other player.

"If we went beyond these offers, we would not be able to retain the young players on our roster when it came time to sign them or invest in other top-tier players needed to assemble a truly competitive team. Therefore, we are aggressively exploring all of our options as we move forward," Waddell's statement said.

Waddell said the Thrashers’ captain was looking for a figure closer to the maximum allowable salary of more than $11 million a year.
“We were willing to go the 12 years but not at that number,” said Waddell, adding he was hopeful the young players Atlanta received would ultimately help improve the team.

He then proceeds to sign in NJ for 100m x 15 years for a 6.66m caphit.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I did the best i could with what we had? Wow Karlson sure can take a sneaky cheap shot at his team mates on his way out.
Uhhh I am just trying to play hockey, but these guys suck. I can see some of the other guys in the room being happy he is gone.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I did the best i could with what we had? Wow Karlson sure can take a sneaky cheap shot at his team mates on his way out.
Uhhh I am just trying to play hockey, but these guys suck. I can see some of the other guys in the room being happy he is gone.
I completely agree with you here, Pierre.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Not surprised there's a few Melnyk sycophants that are coming out now talking trash about Karlsson. It's sad but not surprising. Maybe if you're lucky someday Eugene will pat you on the head while he's pickpocketing you

Reactions: Slimmy

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Anyone who knows or has heard about the dynamics in Ottawa knows Erik's personality. While he was the greatest player to play for the organization, I'm not sure he was the best leader. By all accounts, he was stubborn and wanted to run the show himself. I'm not surprised to hear that people in the team didn't get along with him - in addition to Hoffman, there are reports that Mark Stone and Craig Anderson weren't huge fans.

People want to rag on management, but a big part of the team's lack of success last year was due to Erik's shortcomings in his own zone and unwillingness to put in the effort.

I know Erik is sour about things, and I would be too. The whole situation was mismanaged from the get-go. Yet it's pretty clear that Erik wanted out all along, and he's playing the victim card a little too much for my liking.

Ottawa's certainly slated to win the cup now that they've gotten rid of yet another locker room cancer.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I hope they are happy being being in the basement

Reactions: felixpettersson

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Are you genuinely trying to imply that Erik Karlsson did not carry the Ottawa Senators in the 2017 playoffs, but that he did bring the whole team down in the 2017-2018 regular season?

I agree is sounds ridiculous. that said there does seem to be an underlying current of don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out coming from certain Sens players

I want you to say that. I want you to say it so that you can see just how ridiculous that sounds.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well in Dorion’s defense, it’s probably better for him to remain quiet since he sounds like an idiot every time he opens that trap of his. A quiet Dorion is much more effective than a vocal Dorion.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Why is this a story? They asked for his list, he gave it to them. They intended to trade him. He wanted to get what he is worth, he will go free agency.

Seems like a non story. They said they offered him 10m, probably to stop the vultures from circling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad