Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
That's weak by Karlsson.

anigif_enhanced-8163-1407956180-3.gif

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah, this was known/suspected for a while. Erik probably/might have felt slighted/jarred at the NTC request, along with all the other fiascoes going on, and just made his mind to play as well as possible.
Which he did, admirably at times, despite what he's surrounded with here.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He wanted out when he declared he was "going to get paid" last year knowing full well Ottawa's financial limits, he can fluff all he wants for the fans but he was never re-signing there. Kovalchuk did the exact same thing to Atlanta when he demanded ridiculous money knowing full well they'd never offer it, forcing them to trade him and then signing for less than what he "wanted" from Atlanta.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He wanted out when he declared he was "going to get paid" last year knowing full well Ottawa's financial limits, he can fluff all he wants for the fans but he was never re-signing there. Kovalchuk did the exact same thing to Atlanta when he demanded ridiculous money knowing full well they'd never offer it, forcing them to trade him and then signing for less than what he "wanted" from Atlanta.

Nothing wrong with a person wanting to be paid what they deserve.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I found it interesting that Anderson said something to the effect of "I've haven't been this happy in Ottawa in a long time" this was said after Karlsson got traded

talked to a couple of old time in-touch diehard Senator fans(seasons ticket holders from day 1) at the game on Wednesday, they also said that it was better for the team now that Karlsson's gone because of what they've been hearing for a couple of years now. I don't know what that means or even if they're right about what they were saying.

Melnyk is no peach and that's for sure, but there's been something wrong here for awhile now. I used to think it was the combination of Murray(I know, I know!) and Melnyk that seeped into the dressing room and added unnecessary poison, consider the merry-go-round of coaches over the last 12 years for starters.

Hopefully Dorion can shield the dressing room from Melnyk and let Boucher do his thing with these new kids, some of whom look really legit.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been a team in NHL history that has been ran worse than the Ottawa Senators?

Last I remember Koules and Barrie were so bad that they practically had the team taken away from them and was forced to sell to Vinik.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been a team in NHL history that has been ran worse than the Ottawa Senators?

Last I remember Koules and Barrie were so bad that they practically had the team taken away from them and was forced to sell to Vinik.

Before Bill Wirtz died, he refused to let Blackhawks games be broadcast in Chicago. The games were blacked out and fans had to listen on the radio.

This is like 2005 I'm talking about, here.

Edit: bill, not rocky

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Detroit in the Dead Things era? The North Stars almost folded. The Seals/Barons who had to merge with the North Stars? The Scouts/Rockies who then eventually became a famous Mickey Mouse organization? McNall bought Gretzky with fraudulent money and left the organization on the financial edge. The Islanders with literally a fake owner? Pittsburgh before tanking for Lemieux and later Crosby? As was said, the Leafs under Ballard, the Hawks with Wirtz, and TB with money from who knows where at times. The Atlanta Spirit Group with the Thrashers? The Rangers or Hawks for most of the O6 days? The Bruins at times? Despite success, at least most of their fans can't stand the owner.

The Sens aren't the first.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
I'm usually not a fan of players talking bad about their old teams, but Ottawa's management probably pissed him off to the point where he doesn't care about saving face with them.
I don't think he was talking badly about them. They asked him and he answered. They asked for his NTL and that was it.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Anyone who knows or has heard about the dynamics in Ottawa knows Erik's personality. While he was the greatest player to play for the organization, I'm not sure he was the best leader. By all accounts, he was stubborn and wanted to run the show himself. I'm not surprised to hear that people in the team didn't get along with him - in addition to Hoffman, there are reports that Mark Stone and Craig Anderson weren't huge fans.

People want to rag on management, but a big part of the team's lack of success last year was due to Erik's shortcomings in his own zone and unwillingness to put in the effort.

I know Erik is sour about things, and I would be too. The whole situation was mismanaged from the get-go. Yet it's pretty clear that Erik wanted out all along, and he's playing the victim card a little too much for my liking.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I found it interesting that Anderson said something to the effect of "I've haven't been this happy in Ottawa in a long time" this was said after Karlsson got traded

talked to a couple of old time in-touch diehard Senator fans(seasons ticket holders from day 1) at the game on Wednesday, they also said that it was better for the team now that Karlsson's gone because of what they've been hearing for a couple of years now. I don't know what that means or even if they're right about what they were saying.

Melnyk is no peach and that's for sure, but there's been something wrong here for awhile now. I used to think it was the combination of Murray(I know, I know!) and Melnyk that seeped into the dressing room and added unnecessary poison, consider the merry-go-round of coaches over the last 12 years for starters.

Hopefully Dorion can shield the dressing room from Melnyk and let Boucher do his thing with these new kids, some of whom look really legit.

Yeah it's definitely Melnyk. When you add it all up:

Heatley demands trade
Spezza demands trade
Alfredsson gets insulted
Hoffman fiasco
Karlsson fiasco
4 coaches in 3 years 07-09
3 coaches in 3 years 15-17

The common denominator is Melnyk. There's just something toxic out there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyone who knows or has heard about the dynamics in Ottawa knows Erik's personality. While he was the greatest player to play for the organization, I'm not sure he was the best leader. By all accounts, he was stubborn and wanted to run the show himself. I'm not surprised to hear that people in the team didn't get along with him - in addition to Hoffman, there are reports that Mark Stone and Craig Anderson weren't huge fans.

People want to rag on management, but a big part of the team's lack of success last year was due to Erik's shortcomings in his own zone and unwillingness to put in the effort.

I know Erik is sour about things, and I would be too. The whole situation was mismanaged from the get-go. Yet it's pretty clear that Erik wanted out all along, and he's playing the victim card a little too much for my liking.

The issue I have with this line of argument is that, whether it’s true or not, Ottawa tends to run guys out of town once it becomes clear that they aren’t staying.

That’s the team management and it extends into the media.

It seems as if every player who leaves is somehow responsible for it and after awhile you just stop believing it.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
The issue I have with this line of argument is that, whether it’s true or not, Ottawa tends to run guys out of town once it becomes clear that they aren’t staying.

That’s the term management and it extends into the media.

It seems as if every player who leaves is somehow responsible for it and after awhile you just stop believing it.

You aren't wrong if you look at the last 10 years. I mean, we're kidding ourselves if we think that Alfredsson didn't have a few long chats with Erik about how he was treated.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Detroit in the Dead Things era? The North Stars almost folded. The Seals/Barons who had to merge with the North Stars? The Scouts/Rockies who then eventually became a famous Mickey Mouse organization? McNall bought Gretzky with fraudulent money and left the organization on the financial edge. The Islanders with literally a fake owner? Pittsburgh before tanking for Lemieux and later Crosby? As was said, the Leafs under Ballard, the Hawks with Wirtz, and TB with money from who knows where at times. The Atlanta Spirit Group with the Thrashers? The Rangers or Hawks for most of the O6 days? The Bruins at times? Despite success, at least most of their fans can't stand the owner.

The Sens aren't the first.

Not to confuse this, but the Scouts became the Rockies became the NJ Devils, not the Ducks (that would be the Mickey Mouse team). Just wanted to put that out there. I loved the old Rockies uniforms, and hated the Devils (still do) because they came to town and tried to convert all of us Ranger and Islander fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad