Prospect Info: Karl Henriksson, C, 2nd round, 58th overall, 2019

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Videos show he's very cerebral and a good passer. He's also not afraid to go to the net. Because of his size, he doesn't have to necessarily bulk up in the old school body builder sense, but work on core strength which is totally attainable and will take 2-3 years. He might be a real gem and perhaps run a PP if he can improve in those areas.

This is very much like a Boston or Tampa kind of pick.

Even if it pans out, he’s the type of kid who fans (ours and abroad) don’t often pay particular attention to. Then they end up in the NHL and people say, “[Team] always finds a way to get these types of players.”

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Interesting that he was a very good soccer player as well until 15 when he chose hockey. Those sports train very differently. If he only recently began truly concentrating on the fitness side of hockey, to me, that screams he has a lot of upside physically. Be it strength, balance, speed or agility on his skates.

Lower body strenght is much more important in hockey. Zuccarello was in the same situation as a kid as he also was invited to train with the U16 national soccer team, but declined and went for hockey. A few years ago I did watch Zucca play a charity soccer match on TV, and his legs was HUGE compared to the real pro soccer players on the field.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
For some reason I keep thinking that this kid could be what people thought Spooner could become. May top out as a 3rd line center on an offensive 3rd line (away from the better defensive opposition). Am I way off?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For some reason I keep thinking that this kid could be what people thought Spooner could become. May top out as a 3rd line center on an offensive 3rd line (away from the better defensive opposition). Am I way off?

The one thing going in his favor is that he’s a way harder worker than Spooner ever was.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think Henriksson is a bit of a risk/reward type. When we think of those types, we often envision a flashy forward with question marks about his approach working in the NHL.

That’s not quite the case here.

With Henriksson, he plays a fairly straight forward and effective game. It’s physical elements that raise some question marks.

He’s an undersized center who doesn’t necessarily have the type of speed where you automatically think that will be his passport to success. He’s very smart and moldable, so the hope is that you can make just enough refinements in things like skating, and maybe get an extra inch and 15 pounds to get over that hump and into a category where you think there’s enough amino to make it happen.

Interesting that you mentioned TBL. When I was reading reviews after the Rangers drafted him, I started to think about Tyler Johnson.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I started thinking what it means to Brett Howden's future

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Interesting that he was a very good soccer player as well until 15 when he chose hockey. Those sports train very differently. If he only recently began truly concentrating on the fitness side of hockey, to me, that screams he has a lot of upside physically. Be it strength, balance, speed or agility on his skates.

Exactly, and you can literary see his stride cramp up a little in-game situations when he gets tired. His skating is very effective, and he constantly beats guys to loose pucks and wins battles with it, but there is certainly room for improvement.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think Henriksson is a bit of a risk/reward type. When we think of those types, we often envision a flashy forward with question marks about his approach working in the NHL.

That’s not quite the case here.

With Henriksson, he plays a fairly straight forward and effective game. It’s physical elements that raise some question marks.

He’s an undersized center who doesn’t necessarily have the type of speed where you automatically think that will be his passport to success. He’s very smart and moldable, so the hope is that you can make just enough refinements in things like skating, and maybe get an extra inch and 15 pounds to get over that hump and into a category where you think there’s enough amino to make it happen.

How do you determine which players are moldable and what does mean?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How do you determine which players are moldable and what does mean?

I tend to look for guys who make adjustments to their game. When you hear a coach talking about changes in-game, and you see a player executing those changes. When areas for improvement have been identified, and you see said player focusing on those areas. When you see players make adjustments to different coaching styles, for different tournaments or other scenarios.

In most cases, that's usually echoed by scouts or coaches who spend extensive time around a player.

So if you were looking for a kid in the same draft class, who was facing criticism for having the opposite approach, you'd probably use a guy like Kaliyev as an example.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this pick makes no sense. we reached. 58th over all ??? wow. do not like. this leaves me with the same taste as last years lindbom pick.

imo, this is a limited ceiling type player with work to do.

the skating isn't there yet and the overall offensive upside is rather limited. "smallish slower guys" to me means safe pick who pays the 3C. i don't see the upside here. isn't considered a scorer but more of a support player who is an "effort" guy and who certainly pays attention to all 3 zones... but in round 2 ? no.

hes another intangibles player. i wont say lias andersson but hes gonna have a similar career path I'm afraid. its early but there are some holes here that have me concerned on a developmental basis.

i hope this isn't another one of those " were smarter than everyone else" picks were famous for.

not a fan of the player nor where he was chosen. I'm sorry.

ODC grade D

Reactions: egelband

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
this pick makes no sense. we reached. 58th over all ??? wow. do not like. this leaves me with the same taste as last years lindbom pick.

imo, this is a limited ceiling type player with work to do.

the skating isn't there yet and the overall offensive upside is rather limited. "smallish slower guys" to me means safe pick who pays the 3C. i don't see the upside here. isn't considered a scorer but more of a support player who is an "effort" guy and who certainly pays attention to all 3 zones... but in round 2 ? no.

hes another intangibles player. i wont say lias andersson but hes gonna have a similar career path I'm afraid. its early but there are some holes here that have me concerned on a developmental basis.

i hope this isn't another one of those " were smarter than everyone else" picks were famous for.

not a fan of the player nor where he was chosen. I'm sorry.

ODC grade D
k.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
What does this mean?

It's become a HF Board term used by a handful of people on here and it makes as much sense to me today as it ever did.

so much here.

when i wrote that im saying to you, this organization feels they see something in this player that others may not see and they will go " against the grain" and chose this player too high.

not sure its an organizational flaw- like where hes ranked on their big board or a feeling type pick or perhaps even a pick using different criteria like interviews or testing data that they rank higher than actual metrics or production.

to me, it means this guy was chosen as a project. obvious holes, solid effort, motor, character.

however, lacking skating and size and a shot means his upside is rather limited and so his ceiling is rather low but his floor is high.

hes a "safe pick" but to me its a flawed pick. ok prospect taken waaayyyy to high for my liking.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad