Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
His lack of speed puts him out of position so many times, he was literally on top of Price more times last season than every other D man combined, he literally looked like a pylon. The NHL game is too much for him but he got a fat contract, yuck.

After years of suffering through the Dark Ages of Ferguson, Burke and Nonis, I now seeing my friends in HabLand seemingly without hope for a few years, I made the following suggestion years ago.

General Managers and their brain trust should put any trade proposals and UFA signings up for discussion in a public forum such HFBoards. Might get a more objective opinions from many fans bases, then just a bunch of suits. Yea, I know my proposal is unworkable but every July....and at other times, I think WTF what were you thinking?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
After years of suffering through the Dark Ages of Ferguson, Burke and Nonis, I now seeing my friends in HabLand seemingly without hope for a few years, I made the following suggestion years ago.

General Managers and their brain trust should put any trade proposals and UFA signings up for discussion in a public forum such HFBoards. Might get a more objective opinions from many fans bases, then just a bunch of suits. Yea, I know my proposal is unworkable but every July....and at other times, I think WTF what were you thinking?

Funny enough, the Seattle Sounders in MLS have put every "member" (aka season ticket holder) available to vote about keeping the current GM of their team. Many teams would probably suffer from such votes.

2018 GM Vote

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
did you steal that pic from this thread https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/alzner-petrys-most-reliable-partner-ever.2388667/ lol

to quote the great waffle dave

upload_2018-8-23_22-32-23.png

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
His lack of speed puts him out of position so many times, he was literally on top of Price more times last season than every other D man combined, he literally looked like a pylon. The NHL game is too much for him but he got a fat contract, yuck.
He also scored in his own net more times than i ever witnessed in a single season. Honestly our defense last year scored an unusually high amount of own goals. I remember a game where they scored two own goals in the same game and Price looked really pissed off after the 2nd one. Remove those own goals and replace them by a normal amount and Price stats are not nearly as bad as they were.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Like someone mentioned above...it appears that our pro scouts just suck.
How can you sit at the round table and have a discussion about signing a player clearly on the downward spiral of his career? Meanwhile, the game continues getting faster. We can’t have a management team this incompetent can we?

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
They should have Alzner go lay in front of the other teams net on the PP. If he is half as efficient at that end of the ice the PP will be dynamite.

Reactions: Peanut

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
Looking back at all the threads, i've never seen the word "Solid" used on an NHL player as much as I did Alzner.

If I ever see "Solid" as a description for another NHL players im just gonna think he is as awful as Alzner now lol
"20 minutes of mistake free hockey" I guess he is just an asshole with all the pucks he knocks into his own net.

Brownies

I’ll stay positive and say that, at least, Alzner has united habs fans together in their disgust for his play.

I personally wish him all the best and to have a better season, but why the hell sign him in the first place ? If it was to tank, underrated genious move by Bergy...

Reactions: Peanut

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I’ll stay positive and say that, at least, Alzner has united habs fans together in their disgust for his play.

I personally wish him all the best and to have a better season, but why the hell sign him in the first place ? If it was to tank, underrated genious move by Bergy...
Bergevin is a genius...........he has us tanking, all the while, he has been trying to win.........that takes alot of talent. No wonder we hired this clown...he's amazing, if ya like clowns.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

Toe Blake famously said that as soon as you start taking advice from fans, you find yourself soon sitting among them.

The Habs don't need to enlist the opinions of the fans. Remember, for every astute fan there are ten others who think that the way to ensure a championship is as simple as signing more Francophone players. What they need to do is cast a wider net when the time comes to hire a coach or a GM. Ownership needs to have the balls to tell the fans that they're going to find the best person for the job, full stop. Not simply the next available Francophone blowhard from L'Antichambre, unless he also coincidentally happens to be the best overall. Hire good people and run the thing like a business instead of like a club house for the GM's drinking buddies. That alone would improve results. Just start being proactive instead of reactive all the time. Stop making player personnel decisions based on politics, optics or bruised egos.

All it takes is to hire professionals and mandate that they act like professionals in everything they do. It's really as simple as that.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Bergevin is a genius...........he has us tanking, all the while, he has been trying to win.........that takes alot of talent. No wonder we hired this clown...he's amazing, if ya like clowns.

I've said it before, Bergevin is so ahead of the curve, he needs to sabotage himself because otherwise it's just too easy for him.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Alzner's winning comments were mistaken. He actually want to win the draft lottery on a new team

He will have another chance next year

It was a bad signing from day one, and many people called like it was the day it was done.

Alzner is a bottom pairing defenseman that gets carried into the top 4 by stud D men that mask his flaws.

Note: we don’t have any stud D men.

I will go further and say that people called it even before it was done. There were rumours about this before July 1 and the majority here were against it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Like someone mentioned above...it appears that our pro scouts just suck.
How can you sit at the round table and have a discussion about signing a player clearly on the downward spiral of his career? Meanwhile, the game continues getting faster. We can’t have a management team this incompetent can we?

It's more than appearance, there's quite the trail of fail and what boggles the mind is how none of those in Pro Scouting have been jettisoned yet.

So if "Marc et moi" are to be believed, this off season is confirming that Galchenyuk was the attitude problem and management's issues were solely rooted in Lefebvre and the Carrière duds.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Alzner's claim to infamy, as a Hab:

The Flamingo Move.
The Snow Angel Move.
He became Lolzner.

I believe that sums it up.

Reactions: Pickles and Peanut

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Toe Blake famously said that as soon as you start taking advice from fans, you find yourself soon sitting among them.

All it takes is to hire professionals and mandate that they act like professionals in everything they do. It's really as simple as that.

You're correct. But as you suggest 'its the hire professionals" that is so necessary, instead of hiring your drinking buddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad