Rumor: Kaprizov and Sorokin will play next season in the KHL

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Kaprizov was drafted in 2015, 5 years ago. How many more years the Wild hold his rights?
He is still yet to sign with Wild. - if they don't sign him this year, they lose his rights, right?, right?.

No, since the KHL has no transfer-agreement with the NHL the Wild hold his rights in perpetuity until he signs a NHL contract.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I agree with the fact the players on reserve lists SHOULD be able to play. We have seen it happen with college kids (Makar, Kreider, etc), and we have seen it with Europeans. I don't get the reasoning for preventing it. Too much uncertainty, and now you're outright screwing a team like the Isles, who may or may not have used him come playoff time.
don't think it has anything to do with where there from. if makar and krieder came in this year they would not be allowed to play either.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
How it's any different than Sobotka signing right before the playoffs for the Blues a few years ago and suiting up is beyond me.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don’t see why they can’t negotiate the NHL release clause -start the season in September in KHL, then go to the NHL whenever the season starts there

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I don’t see why they can’t negotiate the NHL release clause -start the season in September in KHL, then go to the NHL whenever the season starts there

The KHL doesn't allow release clauses in their contracts as far as I know.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Hopefully this is true and it will put pressure on Bettman and Daly to pull their heads out of their asses

They're allowed to sign and be eligible to play next season. Why would Bettman and Daly make an exception for these two? :laugh:

If they truly want to play in the NHL then they'd wait until next season. It's not that far off now anyhow. Just sign a deal and start training with the team until next year. Get acclimated with the players and staff if they're really invested in wanting to play and win the Stanley Cup.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They're allowed to sign and be eligible to play next season. Why would Bettman and Daly make an exception for these two? :laugh:

If they truly want to play in the NHL then they'd wait until next season. It's not that far off now anyhow. Just sign a deal and start training with the team until next year. Get acclimated with the players and staff if they're really invested in wanting to play and win the Stanley Cup.
How hard is it to figure out that the exception being made here is to not allow them to sign? How many times does it need to be said?

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
How hard is it to figure out that the exception being made here is to not allow them to sign? How many times does it need to be said?
After a lot of digging, here is the gist.
Kaprizov is still technically under contract to CSKA Moscow. With the KHL season suspended, there are factors in place that could prevent Kaprizov from signing with the Wild, i.e. no one knows what the KHL is going to do with player contracts due to the suspended season.
Because there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, plus their agreement to honor existing contracts, the Wild cannot sign Kaprizov to play for them this year until everything is worked out on the KHL side.
Kaprizovs contract was set to expire on April 30th, so if the KHL figures out their stuff, and his contract status is UFA, he would be eligible to sign with the Wild and play in the Playoffs.
The reason why Daly and the NHL are saying no is because there are legal ramifications involved if the Wild sign him for this years Playoffs and then CSKA Moscow/KHL decides to roll over contracts for next season. This being Russia makes it a possibility. The NHL would be in violation of the contract agreement and Russia would undoubtedly try to sign every Russian born player currently under NHL contract to play in the KHL, with boat loads of money.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Kaprizov is not under contract. The KHL 2019-20 season is complete.

\

On top of that, this rule change doesn't only apply to KHLers. Dylan Samberg and Scott Perunovich coming from the NCAA are both prohibited from playing this season as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and 2Pair

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
How it's any different than Sobotka signing right before the playoffs for the Blues a few years ago and suiting up is beyond me.

Sobotka was previously in the NHL, an NHLPA member, under contract and on that team's reserve list.

Kaprizov is under rights to the Wild but not on the reserve list.

I don't think it should be common for a player to play an entire professional season and then sign with an NHL team for the playoffs. The NCAA situation is a little bit different in that signing for the playoffs takes a player from amateur status to professional, and serves as an inducement to sign with the team that holds his rights. (I think that NCAA loophole should be gotten rid of, but separate topic.)

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Sobotka was previously in the NHL, an NHLPA member, under contract and on that team's reserve list.

I don't think it should be common for a player to play an entire professional season and then sign with an NHL team for the playoffs. The NCAA situation is a little bit different in that signing for the playoffs takes a player from amateur status to professional, and serves as an inducement to sign with the team that holds his rights. (I think that NCAA loophole should be gotten rid of, but separate topic.)
Kaprizov is indeed on the Wild's reserve list. That's been confirmed a handful of times already.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

wrong

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Sobotka was absolutely not under contract with the Blues. Their was a pending arb award, but Sobotka had not signed a contract.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
The KHL doesn't allow release clauses in their contracts as far as I know.
They have certainly done it before, during the NHL's 2012 lockout a number of under contract NHL players signed in the KHL with release clauses for if the NHL starts up.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Kaprizov is indeed on the Wild's reserve list. That's been confirmed a handful of times already.

As is Julian Walker. I was thinking reserves vis-a-vis Sobotka who was an RFA when he left and is no kind of comparison here. But you're right, every drafted player whose rights haven't been terminated, altered or expired is on the reserve list.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
They have certainly done it before, during the NHL's 2012 lockout a number of under contract NHL players signed in the KHL with release clauses for if the NHL starts up.

That is correct but I believe that an exception was allowed for the season to entice NHL talent to come over. I doubt they would make an exception again now to help the NHL poach KHL-trained talent. I could definitely be mistaken entirely about the KHL prohibiting out-clauses though.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Wild should pitch Kaprizov on signing and being loaned to Liiga, or SEL if the NHL is being dumb and the KHL won't allow a release.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad