Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen recalled/Gauthier assigned

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I hope those lines last longer than a period and that this is the last we see of Gauthier until he shows he can actually skate and handle the puck at an AHL level. Man, the Leafs really need some decent center prospects in the pipeline.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Goat has had more than enough opportunity. I have no interest bending over backwards waiting for our prospective 4th liner to blossom into a 4th liner.

I don't believe they're bending over backwards for him. They realize what he is, and gave him a shot after Moore underperformed. At this point his cheap depth. But Freddy's ELC is up after this season and starting next year he'l have to go through waivers.

They have to make a decision on him in the summer. I imagine he'll get a 1 year deal marginally above his current salary and see if he can win a job in training camp over a veteran. If he can't, place him on waivers and if he passes use him as centre depth.

Reactions: Bullseye

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
I'd love to see Komarov slot 4th line C with Kapanen and Martin. Screw Moore
Kap's speed and Martin and Komarov throwing the body and being pesky would make this a great fourth line. Although moving Komarov down to the 4th, I'd love to give Kap a shot with Marleau and Kadri. Hopefully spark some offense on that line, because as long a season Komarov is there, we are not going to get the most out of Marleau or Kadri.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I'd love it if we could somehow just shed Martin and Moore, and run with:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner/Kapanen
JVR-Bozak-Kapanen/Marner
Johnsson/Leivo-Gauthier-Brown

Or even better, try your best to acquire a 4C at the deadline.

Look at some of our old friends in Stajan, McKegg, or Toninato who are all playing great in 4th line C roles. Edit: relatively great compared to what we're using.

Definitely grass is greener syndrome here. Trashing your depth and bringing up all your rookies to play poor quality minutes? Way to throw your kids under the bus.

Reactions: uncleben85

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I don't believe they're bending over backwards for him. They realize what he is, and gave him a shot after Moore underperformed. At this point his cheap depth. But Freddy's ELC is up after this season and starting next year he'l have to go through waivers.

They have to make a decision on him in the summer. I imagine he'll get a 1 year deal marginally above his current salary and see if he can win a job in training camp over a veteran. If he can't, place him on waivers and if he passes use him as centre depth.

You're a reasonble man Bert.

Reactions: Its not your fault

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I hope those lines last longer than a period and that this is the last we see of Gauthier until he shows he can actually skate and handle the puck at an AHL level. Man, the Leafs really need some decent center prospects in the pipeline.
Babcock stated he's going to use them on the road in Dallas and Chicago, and then maybe revert when they're back at home

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Agreed. We need goalies and centers with upside

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Had high hopes for Gauthier this time, got a decent look. Have to say I was pretty disappointed, he actually got worse with each game. The Goat was abysmal last night, I was actually thinking he might have played himself out of the lineup. I'm afraid this might be it for Freddy, unless we see an injury. His skating isn't getting better, it's improved over the years, but his compete and inability to use his size as he should is the problem. Plus he has no finish or attractive skills. I sense it's over now.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
So Babcock makes a change because they have not been dangerous enough?
Fine..

But then he immediately says that this is only for the next 2 road games.

Why would he say that?
Before anyone knows what will happen he says that it's only for the next 2 games..???

Strangest coach ever..

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Had high hopes for Gauthier this time, got a decent look. Have to say I was pretty disappointed, he actually got worse with each game. The Goat was abysmal last night, I was actually thinking he might have played himself out of the lineup. I'm afraid this might be it for Freddy, unless we see an injury. His skating isn't getting better, it's improved over the years, but his compete and inability to use his size as he should is the problem. Plus he has no finish or attractive skills. I sense it's over now.

No ones career ends at 22 unless there is an injury. He has time to forge a career yet.

Reactions: Cotton

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'

Look at some of our old friends in Stajan, McKegg, or Toninato who are all playing great in 4th line C roles. Edit: relatively great compared to what we're using.

i mean, Moore has played better than all of those guys.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
Fine..

Why would he say that?
Before anyone knows what will happen he says that it's only for the next 2 games..???

Strangest coach ever..

I was thinking the same thing!

If they have great success then he's painted himself into a corner!

I see this a sign that he is very aware of the media / fan position that we should be deploying a more skilled lineup and putting Komorov on the 4th. It shows his stubbornness and I don't think this is a good sign for the team!

After Andersen spoke up, he has had 2 of his poorer performances and he is under the gun!

The fishbowl is getting hotter!

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I think a worse sign for the team is the fact he won't even attempt to find a way for Fehr to redeem himself , did he speak out of line ? YES , did he go out and call a press conference to slag his coach ? NO , he said the wrong thing the wrong way at the wrong time happens to the best of us sooner or later even his holiness Babcock . We were a far better team all around with him on the ice and in the room and it's past time for Babs to get over his sore vag and talk it out with the guy like men .

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Fine..

Why would he say that?

Strangest coach ever..

Guessing it's due to the forward logjam and having a player that can be called up/sent down without being subject to waivers. Kapanen being recalled and placed into the lineup multiple times says something positive.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Oh and since we all seem to agree that Marleau is the one not melding with Naz and Leo shouldn't we be looking for him to move to another line ? Maybe we try Marner , Naz , Leo for all the same reasons we play Hymen with Mathews . Marleau isn't much in the corner he's more of a slot surfer waiting for the fruits of his linemates labours and then not finishing -at least lately , can't count the number of times he's been setup cold in the slot and shot it into the goalies crest .

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Fine..

Why would he say that?

Strangest coach ever..

The most frustrating part is they can play lights-out and he'll still probably change things up

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Could be a trade in the works with all the little movements.
highly doubt it. he wouldn't get much in a trade and he's the closest to replacing jvr should he leave to pursue other endeavors in free agency

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I've been a big defender of the Goat but he simply hasn't been good enough. He had his shot.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Komarov and Marleau were way more noticeable than Kadri last night. Komarov causes all kinds of disruption. Marleau plays safe veteran hockey. Kadri was non existent.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I'm starting to think the Goat may be done as a Leafs player after this season. He's had his fair share of opportunities and hasn't looked good at all. He'll be 23 this year and has had 3 years on the Marlies and time with the Leafs and hasn't shown much progression. Maybe he turns into a Boyle down the road but management isn't going to sit around and wait 5 years for that to happen. Average 4th line centers are a dime a dozen and hes below-average at this point. How much longer before he's eligible for waivers? Can't be too far away. That's where he's heading.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad