Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen recalled/Gauthier assigned

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't mean to be a huge Goat defender, but he's a young guy who fills a very small role on the team and has potential to be more. I think he's a pretty good skater out there actually. My biggest knock on him is he's doesn't come with a natural mean streak. Would be more interesting if he brought a little more hate to finish his checks. I definitely have time for him.

Excited to see Kapanen up. Hopefully he plays his face off and becomes indispensable.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Button just going off that Kappy needs to be more consistent.

I disagree, if he doesn't get 12 plus minutes and has to prove himself on the 4th line in a pure shutdown role, how can he do this?
This is what I've never understood; these "experts" and coaches demand these kids to perform and produce yet a guy like Kapanen always gets stuck with bums like Moore and Martin and plays 10 minutes a game. How do you honestly expect success in that scenario? It's setting him up to fail. All I ask is for one game, one game, to put Kapanen on the first two lines. I've been watching the kid since we got him from the Pens. I've been to plentt of Marlies games and have witnessed how much of a game changer the kid can be. His speed alone makes him a top line winger in todays game meanwhile, the finishing ability, shot etc. It baffles me that guys like Hyman are glued to Matthews hip and Komarov starts in OT and this team is struggling to score when they have Kapanen in the minors only to call him up and waste him on the fourth line.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
As I said Lou and shanny doing final assessments on who to keep and who to offer in a trade

I kinda think Kapanen is ear marked as trade fodder. They've never really given him the roster spot to grow like they did with Brown and Hyman.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Because they all auditioned 2 yrs ago the 2 who are in NHL deserved it. Kapenen is way way better than he was 2 yrs ago just no room right now. But depending what we do now to feb 26th maybe room after that

Reactions: 54thecup

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I kinda think Kapanen is ear marked as trade fodder. They've never really given him the roster spot to grow like they did with Brown and Hyman.

I think Kapanen is a keeper unless we could get a solid dman for him...speed in today's NHL kills and Kapanen has speed to burn. He's tenacious and skillfull. The team is still very much in transition right now with JVR and Bozak becoming free agents. I think Kapanen is here for the long haul...the Leafs are just taking their time in developing him.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't mean to be a huge Goat defender, but he's a young guy who fills a very small role on the team and has potential to be more. I think he's a pretty good skater out there actually. My biggest knock on him is he's doesn't come with a natural mean streak. Would be more interesting if he brought a little more hate to finish his checks. I definitely have time for him.

Excited to see Kapanen up. Hopefully he plays his face off and becomes indispensable.
In the end this was a solid run of games to see where Gauthier currently is. Pretty solid bounce back from that brutal injury last season. For better or worse there isn't any rush to give him the job this year with Moore still under contract. His bigger test will be next training camp against Aaltonen and potentially any 'just in case no one is ready' signing during the Summer. Be nice if there was more of a natural mean streak, but felt like he was making a more conscious effort this time around to throw his weight around more.

Nice to see Kapanen back. Hopefully he can grab a job here or at least convince Lou he can safely move some pieces.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
What is the waiver situation with Freddy? When will he need to pass through?

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I like the Goat, but I really don't see him and Martin making up 2/3 of an effective 4th line. Both of them need to play with guys that have some puck skills to help them be part of an effective line.

So, IMO a choice will have to be made before next October between the 2.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I like the Goat, but I really don't see him and Martin making up 2/3 of an effective 4th line. Both of them need to play with guys that have some puck skills to help them be part of an effective line.

So, IMO a choice will have to be made before next October between the 2.
the problem with both of them is there speed they are so slow, avs took advantage last night, dont matter if they played with the most skilled player they would still be hemmed in all night, to slow for this league!

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
What is the waiver situation with Freddy? When will he need to pass through?

If I'm correct, since he's 22, he would need to have played 70 NHL games to not qualify for waiver exemption.

Last edited:

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
the problem with both of them is there speed they are so slow, avs took advantage last night, dont matter if they played with the most skilled player they would still be hemmed in all night, to slow for this league!

They both have decent straight line speed, not great acceleration (common for bigger players) and they both bring different strengths to the team, but I mean they both need to play with two decent players to help hide some of their inefficiencies.

I don't think they can play with each other.

Reactions: rubous

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm willing to bet Craig Button hasn't watched 10 seconds of the Marlies this year, he's hasn't the slightest idea how Kap has played....just trots out the same tired lines he's had since the trade, f*** it gets old, do some homework every five years cranky.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Freddy has really good wheels for a man of his size, straight away speed is good, feet are surprisingly nimble, turning arc and maybe lateral is not as good. Problem is he isn't mean. He doesn't rag the puck hard or really crash into the end boards when he gets there. If he flashed a little "psychotic potential" he would be a beast to play against.

As far as Martin and Gauthier, they might be more effective spread out on different lines, but then again we could also move on from both. The Leafs have such specialized talents. At some point they need more all around guys like TJ Oshie or Alex Steen. Not big men vs skilled wingers, penalty killers and whatnot.

Reactions: DarkKnight and Mork

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I love the Goat, but I don't think he's going to make it.

He needs a lot more jump in his game.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
kappy's received more nhl time at 20 and 21 than either of them did.
It's obvious the Leafs massive depth on wing (RW especially) is what's keeping Kapanen from a permanent roster spot.

I have no problem saying he has far more upside than Brown and Hyman.

Reactions: Barilko14

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I love the Goat, but I don't think he's going to make it.

He needs a lot more jump in his game.

Freddy is better than Bozak right now. Freddy will be an NHL player. Kapanen can score 10 goals in 3 games and he will be sent down. JVR and Bozak are given spots on this team and do not buy into work ethic like the rest of them. Truely embarassing if they are not moved at the deadline. Kappy and Freddy can replace them.

Babcock said and im paraphrasing " Freddy has to play like he is 6-5 230" ok fair but he should have said and its ok if JVR plays like he is 5-7 140.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad