Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen loaned to Marlies

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Kapanen is better than Martin, Moore, Bozak, Hyman, and Komarov.

Leivo is probably better than those 5 too. (Andreas Johnsson is close too I think).

It's frustrating that guys like Kapanen and Leivo can't be permanent fixtures in our lineup because we have thugs, grinders, and plugs taking up so many spots.
Just curious, which one of our player(s) is a thug?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Kapanen is undoutedly a player of our future but consider the R/W players we now have Marner, Nylander, Brown and if Soshnikov is ready, who does he replace.

If Soshnikov is still on the IR, this could be a short-term demotion to the Marlies for Kapanen and he may be recalled later this week and it doesn't hurt to stack the Marlies and keep them 1st in the North Division and games today and tomorrow to be played.

TheAHL.com

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They really need to stop pretending you have to earn a spot on the team and take someone else's job. They should just admit that waiver eligibility is the biggest factor.

Why wouldn't it logically be in regards to smart asset management?

Leafs aren't going to toss players on waivers needlessly to make room for waiver exempt players and hurt their own team depth.

Allowing Kapanen to continue go up and down and develop without risk of loss seems like a smart move to me particularly when Marlies are playing and Leafs are not.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Marlies have a day game at the ACC today @ 3. This is likely the reason for the transaction. Give the fans something exciting to watch.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i know we usually butt-heads, but i agree with you on this one. I don't understand why he didn't make the team this year (last year he was injured right so he would have been with everyone in the whole "Hey guess what the kids are all right).

what i don't "believe" in is "overripe" in a negative. I don't think it's going to hurt him playing down there more, to the point it's going to impact him when he makes the show up here. + I think it will be benefit to us to have him slip up and down waivers and postpone his ELC rights as long as we can if he's going to be the potential "JVR" mid six guy we want him to be. so i see the politics on this one for sure. (and admittedly i am usually team management in decisions like this - long term future vs. short term pop on contract statuses). but fundamentally, I do agree i think he should continue to be up here.
to me, him scoring the double OT goal in the playoffs made him a virtual lock. He always had the skills to be on the roster but that made him a hero.

As for being overripe, I think the best place for him to be is in the NHL trying to see what he can really do. he's got the talent and the drive, and he's earned his place. to me that should be the bottom line

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm not following this at all. He's only played a total of 29 games and never played 11 games in his first or second season, so I don't see why there is a worry about his waiver exemption. Doesn't he have to on the roster for length of time like 30 days or play x number of games for him to risk becoming no longer waiver exempt?
Could it be for the cap? Maximizing savings as well?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why wouldn't it logically be in regards to smart asset management?

Leafs aren't going to toss players on waivers needlessly to make room for waiver exempt players and hurt their own team depth.

Allowing Kapanen to continue go up and down and develop without risk of loss seems like a smart move to me particularly when Marlies are playing and Leafs are not.

I didn't say they should. I said they should acknowledge that waiver eligibility is the biggest factor, and not pretend it's about earning a spot and taking a job with your play.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Why is everyone glossing over the fact that the Marlies play today at the ACC? It's just a good way for Kapanen to get some reps in with big minutes while the big team is off. He'll be back.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Probably just to get him some more playing time. If he isn't back up with the club very soon, it would be ridiculous

If Soshnikov is healthy, who does Kapanen replace? He's already in the pressbox most of the time.

Leafs have to make a trade if you want him in the lineup full time.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Phone every team in the league, ask what's your best offer for Sosh, take the best and insert Kapanen when the paperwork clears.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Kapanen is undoutedly a player of our future but consider the R/W players we now have Marner, Nylander, Brown and if Soshnikov is ready, who does he replace.

If Soshnikov is still on the IR, this could be a short-term demotion to the Marlies for Kapanen and he may be recalled later this week and it doesn't hurt to stack the Marlies and keep them 1st in the North Division and games today and tomorrow to be played.

TheAHL.com

this is the correct answer

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Sosh will be the 4th line rw next season he's not leaving

Sosh is on the IR again

and after that nonsense about going back to the K .....I don't see him being with the organization next year, he's an RFA July 1 and will be released if they can't get something for him by the draft...they need a few spot's for a couple of the kids's still in Europe, Greening, Fehr and Smith will be gone as well as some of the other RFA's like Rychel

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Just curious, which one of our player(s) is a thug?
Martin would be the thug. He's basically just there to be a fighter and for his intimidation factor. Not saying he's a dirty player or anything... but that's basically his role. He throws a few big hits, but I don't think his hitting has been all that effective. I think he might do alright on a 4th line with two other big players... because I think having three huge guys (like when we had Boyle) can be pretty effective. But Martin and Moore don't mix well and neither really belongs on the team IMO. We have better options.

Moore and Bozak are basically plugs at this point. We have much better options for centers now (Nylander, Marleau).

Hyman and Komarov are basically just grinders and aren't really bringing all that much to the table. Ya, they can kill penalties, but they aren't good at much else these days. They are 3rd line wingers at best without much of an upside.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Why is everyone glossing over the fact that the Marlies play today at the ACC? It's just a good way for Kapanen to get some reps in with big minutes while the big team is off. He'll be back.

probably because a lot of people didn't know?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Trade Leivo for Something or let Moore go...

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - - - Kadri - - - Brown
VanRiemsdyk - Bozak - Marner
Martin - - Komarov - - Kapanen

or switch Kappy and Brown

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Phone every team in the league, ask what's your best offer for Sosh, take the best and insert Kapanen when the paperwork clears.
I'm over Sosh, after this latest stint up, he wasn't impressive at all. Was a big fan of his, but other guys have passed him, get what you can or put him on waivers, won't be missed with our stable.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Martin would be the thug. He's basically just there to be a fighter and for his intimidation factor. Not saying he's a dirty player or anything... but that's basically his role. He throws a few big hits, but I don't think his hitting has been all that effective. I think he might do alright on a 4th line with two other big players... because I think having three huge guys (like when we had Boyle) can be pretty effective. But Martin and Moore don't mix well and neither really belongs on the team IMO. We have better options.

Moore and Bozak are basically plugs at this point. We have much better options for centers now (Nylander, Marleau).

Hyman and Komarov are basically just grinders and aren't really bringing all that much to the table. Ya, they can kill penalties, but they aren't good at much else these days. They are 3rd line wingers at best without much of an upside.

Hyman is fine with Matthews as long as Willy is the other winger. I like hyman doing some forchecking and has a tendency to cause attention or distraction if you will for Matthew and willy.

Otherwise absolutely a grinder/ energy guy with alot of coaxhes. Babs likes what he causes despite hos lack of scoring touch.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Could it be for the cap? Maximizing savings as well?

Don't quote me on this Salt but I don't think you can "bank" cap space if your using LTIR

LTIR cap space doesn't increase as the season goes on like "normal" cap space does

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad