Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen loaned to Marlies

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I'm not following this at all. He's only played a total of 29 games and never played 11 games in his first or second season, so I don't see why there is a worry about his waiver exemption. Doesn't he have to on the roster for length of time like 30 days or play x number of games for him to risk becoming no longer waiver exempt?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Roster limits.

This likely means Zaitsev is ready to return from IR soon, and that bumps Carrick back into the pressbox with Leivo and Marnicin putting the team at 23 roster max,

The Matthews injury allowed them to carry an extra healthy forward which was Kappy, but with Auston back that need is no longer required.

Leafs already have a healthy Josh Leivo hanging around not playing, so no need for another in Kapanen when he is waiver exempt and can continue to develop on the Marlies.

Reactions: david999

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm not following this at all. He's only played a total of 29 games and never played 11 games in his first or second season, so I don't see why there is a worry about his waiver exemption. Doesn't he have to on the roster for length of time like 30 days or play x number of games for him to risk becoming no longer waiver exempt?

Kappy is waivers eligible beginning the 2019-20 season.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I wonder if it has more to do with the MONEY than anything else. This can't be right can it? Lou pinching pennies?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Roster limits.

This likely means Zaitsev is ready to return from IR soon, and that bumps Carrick back into the pressbox with Leivo and Marnicin putting the team at 23 roster max,

The Matthews injury allowed them to carry an extra healthy forward which was Kappy, but with Auston back that need is no longer required.
Not sure they keep 8 D? Marincin will go back down, unless we've had a change of philosophy. I don't think Zaitsev is ready.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Kapanen is still eligible to be waived to the Marlies, without the any NHL team being able to claim him.
The definition of "loan". His cap hit still affects the Leafs, Kapanen still makes NHL money. Leafs and Kapanen must've agreed that he playing time was important, and the Marlies play today, December 26 and tomorrow.
Who knows, he might rejoin the Leafs later this week, maybe the Leafs carry just one extra forward (Leivo) on their three game road trip.
I still think Kapanen is going to an important Leaf in the future. UFAs Komarov and JVR are unlikely to be Leafs next year.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
OKay, I UNDERSTAND. it's a roster move. There's no room for Kappy, that makes sense and it was going to happen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Right, so, are you saying there is no risk for him to stay up with the Leafs now? As in, this has nothing to do with his waiver eligibility?

Having a young player sit in the pressbox as a healthy scratch is never a good idea, particularly when they're waiver exempt and can continue their development in the AHL instead.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
he's already getting overripe though. yeah he was the easiest to send down, but he should have been in the NHL from October if you go by merit

i know we usually butt-heads, but i agree with you on this one. I don't understand why he didn't make the team this year (last year he was injured right so he would have been with everyone in the whole "Hey guess what the kids are all right).

what i don't "believe" in is "overripe" in a negative. I don't think it's going to hurt him playing down there more, to the point it's going to impact him when he makes the show up here. + I think it will be benefit to us to have him slip up and down waivers and postpone his ELC rights as long as we can if he's going to be the potential "JVR" mid six guy we want him to be. so i see the politics on this one for sure. (and admittedly i am usually team management in decisions like this - long term future vs. short term pop on contract statuses). but fundamentally, I do agree i think he should continue to be up here.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Having a young player sit in the pressbox as a healthy scratch is never a good idea, particularly when they're waiver exempt and can continue their development in the AHL instead.
Salt said something about paper transfer to keep him waiver free - so, I'm still on that topic. You are way ahead of me Mess and I agree with about 99.9% of your posts. But, you missed my point this time, - no problem.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Kapanen is better than Martin, Moore, Bozak, Hyman, and Komarov.

Leivo is probably better than those 5 too. (Andreas Johnsson is close too I think).

It's frustrating that guys like Kapanen and Leivo can't be permanent fixtures in our lineup because we have thugs, grinders, and plugs taking up so many spots.

Reactions: TMLS and CabanaBoy5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad