Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen loaned to Marlies

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I wonder if it has more to do with the MONEY than anything else. This can't be right can it? Lou pinching pennies?

the only money the leafs would be concerned with is cap money, and if "pinching pennies" means more trade deadline space, it is a smart move

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
People need to get off this whole "you don't want him to become over ripe in the minors" business. He's still just 21, turning 22 in July. Once some contracts come off the books, they'll give him the bump up. No point in having him fill a gap on the 4th line, when he should be playing nowhere below the 3rd line. Let management sort out the personnel issues during the summer, so Kapanen can play on a quality line (maybe with Nylander at C once Bozak leaves??).

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think the line up we have is just for the rough regular season. Come playoff time:

Hyman Matthews Leivo
Komarov Kadri Brown
Marleau Nylander Kapanen
JVR Bozak Marner

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I really wish Babs would stop preaching about play accountability. Kapanen has been better than every forward not named Marner or Matthews in the past few games. No merit here. Pathetic.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kapanen was buzzing all over the ice today but couldn't bury it. Looked visibly frustrated in his body language every time he was thwarted. I wonder if he's frustrated to be in the AHL?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Kapanen was buzzing all over the ice today but couldn't bury it. Looked visibly frustrated in his body language every time he was thwarted. I wonder if he's frustrated to be in the AHL?
He always does that, he is a lil bit of an emotional player.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I really wish Babs would stop preaching about play accountability. Kapanen has been better than every forward not named Marner or Matthews in the past few games. No merit here. Pathetic.

IMO ... Kappy cant replace Leo, Hyman, Browns "very valuable" PK minutes and grinding... He cants replace Mitch or Willie ... Moore is a centre... The team is strategically/ structurally set up like a puzzle, you know what I mean? He has to beat a player out of a "role" to stay on the team, playing good hockey is not enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Kapanen is better than Martin, Moore, Bozak, Hyman, and Komarov.

Leivo is probably better than those 5 too. (Andreas Johnsson is close too I think).

It's frustrating that guys like Kapanen and Leivo can't be permanent fixtures in our lineup because we have thugs, grinders, and plugs taking up so many spots.

Is he better than those players?

Is Kappy physical, a center, above average defensively?

It's possible to build a team exclusively of like minded players but how successful will that team become. Different players have different roles on good teams and as yet TO has the NHL depth to keep Kappy in the A and that's a good thing for TO.

If Kappy was the next Marner/Nylander he'd be on the Leafs.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Is he better than those players?

Is Kappy physical, a center, above average defensively?

It's possible to build a team exclusively of like minded players but how successful will that team become. Different players have different roles on good teams and as yet TO has the NHL depth to keep Kappy in the A and that's a good thing for TO.

If Kappy was the next Marner/Nylander he'd be on the Leafs.
There's no question that Kappy is better than the wingers in Martin, Komarov & Hyman, while providing way better to only slightly less defense with way better offense than all 3. Same can be said with the centres too but they have their centre roles needed. And Kappy is only a rank under those 2, has more potential than Brown.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
There's no question that Kappy is better than the wingers in Martin, Komarov & Hyman, while providing way better to only slightly less defense with way better offense than all 3. Same can be said with the centres too but they have their centre roles needed. And Kappy is only a rank under those 2, has more potential than Brown.

There's no question?, so Lou and Babs are idiots?

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
There's no question?, so Lou and Babs are idiots?
Not idiots, but humans & humans make mistakes, choosing vets & not opening up a spot for him now or after last playoffs is definitely a mistake by them

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Not idiots, but humans & humans make mistakes, choosing vets & not opening up a spot for him now or after last playoffs is definitely a mistake by them

Why's that?
What has he done, in the past that has you so sure he such a good player?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I didn't say they should. I said they should acknowledge that waiver eligibility is the biggest factor, and not pretend it's about earning a spot and taking a job with your play.

Lou already said something to this effect when soshnikov was recalled as a result of his contract terms and option to go to Russia.

Messaging from the management team is that players have to 100% be better than the players they are replacing. Otherwise assets are managed according to the rules of the CBA and their contract terms. It’s not that difficult. You’ve heard Babcock day “tie goes to the veteran”, right?

Kapanen has a certain skill set, and he has to be a clear upgrade over another player on the roster without degrading other areas of the game to get in. He’s definitely not going to come up just so he can sit in the press box until there is an injury. He will play on the Marlies so he can be recalled when there is an injury instead. That makes sense to me.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kapanen has a certain skill set, and he has to be a clear upgrade over another player on the roster without degrading other areas of the game to get in. He’s definitely not going to come up just so he can sit in the press box until there is an injury. He will play on the Marlies so he can be recalled when there is an injury instead. That makes sense to me.

Kapanen is a RWer and he is not better than Nylander nor Marner nor Brown all ahead of him on the depth chart and the other Rw is Komarov whom Babcock uses with Kadri on the shutdown line and as a key PKer including when Leafs are playing 3-5 and he is only forward out there.

There is simply no room for Kapanen at present as Leafs have better options at RW.

When Leafs brought in Marleau and Moore as UFAs it guaranteed them roster spots this year and players like Kapanaen and Leivo forced out.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The reality is, he's a fast player who's gone up and down the wing. And although exciting watching the breakneck speeds in which he skates, he hasn't shown much in the way of working with his linemates. In 23 games he has no assists. What's the excuse? December is almost over and Mat Martin is still 117th overall in the league for assists per 60. His .76 pts/game is less then Ben Smith. He only has 5 assists in the AHL. I think he makes the NHL if someone like Komarov is discarded for a cheaper version in order to afford pay increases to other young forwards.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kapanen is a RWer and he is not better than Nylander nor Marner nor Brown all ahead of him on the depth chart and the other Rw is Komarov whom Babcock uses with Kadri on the shutdown line and as a key PKer including when Leafs are playing 3-5 and he is only forward out there.

There is simply no room for Kapanen at present as Leafs have better options at RW.

When Leafs brought in Marleau and Moore as UFAs it guaranteed them roster spots this year and players like Kapanaen and Leivo forced out.

Leafs are looking at the bigger picture they aren't fanatics.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
He is a good young player but no room for him on this roster
Would not be the least surprising to see him traded at the trade deadline
Good value and could bring back decent help for playoff push,,,,

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He is a good young player but no room for him on this roster
Would not be the least surprising to see him traded at the trade deadline
Good value and could bring back decent help for playoff push,,,,

And then they need to find cheap options for the roster next year, when we likely don't sign Komarov or JvR.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are looking at the bigger picture they aren't fanatics.

Perhaps the biggest organizational factor is that Kappy is essentially the biggest part of the Kessel trade return, and so while Phil continues to score on Cup winning teams Leafs have very little to show for their side of what looks like a very poor and lopsided deal for the organization when Hunter/Dubas were acting GMs.

Ideally Leafs organization would be loving to get some return on their investment.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Perhaps the biggest organizational factor is that Kappy is essentially the biggest part of the Kessel trade return, and so while Phil continues to score on Cup winning teams Leafs have very little to show for their side of what looks like a very poor and lopsided deal for the organization when Hunter/Dubas were acting GMs.

Ideally Leafs organization would be loving to get some return on their investment.

Did you forget we also acquired a 1st round pick in that trade that we later used to trade for Andersen or do you think Andersen hasn't made a meaningful contribution here?

Reactions: noway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->