Proposal: Kapanen + for Braun

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I think a fan of any team that has watches Leafs games, would agree Kapanen was given an opportunity,,, they should also agree he has used that opportunity to show what he is capable of with or without Matthews. He was always a sleeper and paid his dues last couple years on the Pk and bottom 9 but many Leaf fans and hockey fans believed in his talents. Players in the first round typically get a free ride to top9,,, just because Kapanen didn't doesn't take anything away from him. Not all Leaf fans are ignorant of player evaluation and team structures. We see sleepers on other teams too. As for Nylander,,, he's a sniper, very talented.. maybe a Laine light but same attitude. No one that has watched Kapanen evolve and prove himself this year can take anything away from him. This actually creates a new problem for the Leafs because his value is quickly rising,, too quickly!

Kapenen isnt getting time on the PP. Fairly certain most if not all of his 14 points are at even strength or on the PK. Feel like the Leafs may have been holding his minutes back to get him on a team favourable deal to eventually replace the costly Nylander. But like you have pointed out, going to be tough to get him at an affordable rate if he continues to play like he is. Love his speed and two way ability. I've said it all along even before this break out year, but i've always valued Kapenens overall game more then Nylanders. Once he gets pp time, this will be even more evident.

On a second note, it shows that the teams who trade the best player CAN get favourable value in return. Obviously at the time we traded Kessel, we were full blown rebuild. However seeing Kapanen progress and Andersen between the pipes, makes me giddy about that trade. Obviously pits is thrilled with their two cups, but win win here. Just laments the idea that the Leafs CAN be ok with the right deal for Nylander.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Leaf fans are forgetting something. Kapanen is only a top 6 because Nylander doesn't have a contract. If Nylander did, the top 2 lines were set, and Kapanen would have been fighting to be on the 3rd or 4th line. It's not like he won the job over Nylander.
Right now he's playing with Kadri on the 2nd line. If Matthews and Nylander were in the lineup he'd still be playing with Kadri on the 3rd line.

Reactions: zaqq

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Leaf fans are forgetting something. Kapanen is only a top 6 because Nylander doesn't have a contract. If Nylander did, the top 2 lines were set, and Kapanen would have been fighting to be on the 3rd or 4th line. It's not like he won the job over Nylander.
he did win it over brown who is one of babcock's favourites, but i agree with your first part.

Reactions: LeafChief

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Right now he's playing with Kadri on the 2nd line. If Matthews and Nylander were in the lineup he'd still be playing with Kadri on the 3rd line.
he'd be playing on the 4th line if nylander was back.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Kapanen is pretty darn good. But you know what else he is? Replaceable. The Leafs have enough wingers, even getting by fine without Nylander. Assuming Nylander re-signs at some point* then Kapanen could easily be moved.

Braun is a good return for Kapanen. Maybe not great, and definately not flashy. You could argue about a plus to even it up. Whatever. But the idea is solid, and it fills a need for both teams. It would definately inprove the Leafs chances this season, all else being equal.

*not getting into that, it's for another thread.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Kapanen is pretty darn good. But you know what else he is? Replaceable. The Leafs have enough wingers, even getting by fine without Nylander. Assuming Nylander re-signs at some point* then Kapanen could easily be moved.

Braun is a good return for Kapanen. Maybe not great, and definately not flashy. You could argue about a plus to even it up. Whatever. But the idea is solid, and it fills a need for both teams. It would definately inprove the Leafs chances this season, all else being equal.

*not getting into that, it's for another thread.

Except it doesn't fill a need for the Sharks.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I think a fan of any team that has watches Leafs games, would agree Kapanen was given an opportunity,,, they should also agree he has used that opportunity to show what he is capable of with or without Matthews. He was always a sleeper and paid his dues last couple years on the Pk and bottom 9 but many Leaf fans and hockey fans believed in his talents. Players in the first round typically get a free ride to top9,,, just because Kapanen didn't doesn't take anything away from him. Not all Leaf fans are ignorant of player evaluation and team structures. We see sleepers on other teams too. As for Nylander,,, he's a sniper, very talented.. maybe a Laine light but same attitude. No one that has watched Kapanen evolve and prove himself this year can take anything away from him. This actually creates a new problem for the Leafs because his value is quickly rising,, too quickly!

Oh I know. It's a good problem to have and he's someone every team needs. A plug and play guy who can be put on any line and not be out of place. I look at him as the Leafs version of Sheary or Dvorak. Not the ideal top 6, but will suffice. Now whomever is better or whatever is a different thing entirely.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
at this point, Trade Nylander cause Kapanen fills that role and then some. He's the fastest guy on the team and PKs.

Reactions: zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Except it doesn't fill a need for the Sharks.

If that's the case, then fine. Deal's off. I don't try to convince other fans that they need to sell.

But Leafs fans need to realise they probably won't get a better RHD than Braun for Kapanen.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
he'd be playing on the 4th line if nylander was back.

Nah... He'd still be reunited with Matthews and Marleau once Austin's back IMO. They had great chemistry. Also can you imagine a 3rd line of
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander? That's just mean

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Nah... He'd still be reunited with Matthews and Marleau once Austin's back IMO. They had great chemistry. Also can you imagine a 3rd line of
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander? That's just mean
i highly doubt it. i don't think babcock would play william nylander on the fourth line for a long period of time.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
That would be the 3rd line for what it's worth... Not much. That line would be a matchup nightmare
a line of ennis-gauthier-kapanen playing behind marelau- matthews-nylander, hyman-tavares-marner and lindholm-kadri-brown would not be a 3rd line

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Who is better than Braun that you think could be had for Kapanen in a trade?

Braun is a washed up relic of a by gone era and should be in the Smithsonian. Kapanen is the ideal 2RW/LW so the answer is noone if the best offer is Braun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad