Confirmed with Link: Kap files for salary arbitration, still has no idea what he's doing in any zone

Will Kapanen and the Pens reach an agreement before arbitration?

• Sure

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 10.2%
  • Sign and trade! Sign and trade!

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Ron Sleepy Hextall says "Relax"

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • I'm annoyed he's still here

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • WHY IS HE STILL HERE??!?

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • I thought we had a done deal, man.

Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

As the poll says-- what's the vox populi think on this very important subject? Partial credit will be given for especially funny answers.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Wasn't this pretty much a foregone conclusion?

It shouldn't have been, which is why I voted "annoyed".

But there should be another option on this poll: "It's f**king ridiculous he's still here!"

It's very simple: they either qualified KK because they mutually agreed to sign a cheap 1-year deal (in which case it should have been announced days or weeks ago; or that they QO'd him because there were teams that were interested in trading for him, in which case a trade should have occurred by now.

So either way, I don't get why he's still here, unsigned.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It shouldn't have been, which is why I voted "annoyed".

But there should be another option on this poll: "It's f**king ridiculous he's still here!"

It's very simple: they either qualified KK because they mutually agreed to sign a cheap 1-year deal (in which case it should have been announced days or weeks ago; or that they QO'd him because there were teams that were interested in trading for him, in which case a trade should have occurred by now.

So either way, I don't get why he's still here, unsigned.
It wouldn't surprise me if a couple teams did have an interest in him via a trade. I wish it would have happened at this point also. But if he is on the move I think that'd be a great thing. It just simply isn't working out for him here. Not to this point anyhow. There might be some issue with the cap with the team we might be trying to trade him to. Who knows.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Kapanen brings an Element of swagger to the room. He dresses with a unique style that appeals to a certain demographic of the fanbase that propels the team. His fits are both fresh and controversial and he has a level of calmness that permeates the in-flight entertainment. Players like to be around Kappy and his laid back sense of humour and style. When Kappy talks his peers listen and there is a reason why many people in the organization feel comfortable calling him Kappy and not Kasperi or Mr. Kapanen. He is not the type of guy to lash out at you for making a mistake. He would rather make you feel good about yourself than make you feel like a nuisance and a fraud.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
It wouldn't surprise me if a couple teams did have an interest in him via a trade. I wish it would have happened at this point also. But if he is on the move I think that'd be a great thing. It just simply isn't working out for him here. Not to this point anyhow.

I always thought he would likely be gone, and the fact that he was qualified doesn't change that.

Of course it's still possible he's re-signed, but I would rather have Puustinen in the lineup.

Unless Kapanen spent the summer working full time with Adam Oates and seeing some genius sports psychologist, and we just don't know about it, I don't see why we should give him another chance.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I always thought he would likely be gone, and the fact that he was qualified doesn't change that.

Of course it's still possible he's re-signed, but I would rather have Puustinen in the lineup.

Unless Kapanen spent the summer working full time with Adam Oates and seeing some genius sports psychologist, and we just don't know about it, I don't see why we should give him another chance.
Well at times he does show flashes that give you some level and modicum of optimism. Largely I agree with your assessment however. But I'm not sure what if any options would be better. I'm not so high on the players down on the farm.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Seriously disappointed with him last year after being hyped the previous year. Some consistency would be nice. If he didn't have that explosive first year here I'd be totally cold on him. I'd take him back at about two fiddy ($2.5 million). But I won't worry about it.

Reactions: NJPens66

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
He's worth more than his QO but definitely not north of 3 mil based on the last 2 seasons. He seems to have peaked as a middle of the road 3rd liner. I think he gets like 1×2.5 mil or similar.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He's worth more than his QO but definitely not north of 3 mil based on the last 2 seasons. He seems to have peaked as a middle of the road 3rd liner. I think he gets like 1×2.5 mil or similar.

I don't want to pay 2.5 for what I saw last year. I don't even want to spend a contract on that. I'd say they give him 1.25m x 1 and it's up to him to try and accomplish something, anything, in one of the zones.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Hextall seemed to be confident that he could get a contract done before an actual arbitration hearing. We'll see.

Reactions: Andy99

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wonder if Kap can be turned into a useful penalty killer... Otherwise I don't see a point to have him on the team. Let him walk.

Would like to see Rust off the PK just to manage his minutes. Hell, with this team as old as it is, everyone's minutes should be under a microscope.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pens have around 1.9 in space, they give him the Heinen deal of 1.8 for 1 year as a prove it deal to allow him to earn a better deal and send someone down to get them just under 1.0 in cap space.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If there’s no additions coming to the top 6, beggars can’t be choosers. One year prove it deal on the cheap.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Seriously disappointed with him last year after being hyped the previous year. Some consistency would be nice. If he didn't have that explosive first year here I'd be totally cold on him. I'd take him back at about two fiddy ($2.5 million). But I won't worry about it.
That sounds about right.

It's be nice to get him signed for 2 years whether he finds his game again or we decide to deal him.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Pens have around 1.9 in space, they give him the Heinen deal of 1.8 for 1 year as a prove it deal to allow him to earn a better deal and send someone down to get them just under 1.0 in cap space.
We have more than that. When he signs then one of the other forwards won't count because they will be sent down. We have closer to $3 million left after we send down one of the forwards when Kap signs. Our lineup already has 23 players on capfriendly.com

Hextall sounds confident that a deal will be done so I am not going to worry about it.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kap has an interest in only signing a one year deal: he’s a UFA after this season and he probably hopes to improve his value…anyone thinking th team will ask for or negotiate a deal with him for two years is crazy…

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
That sounds about right.

It's be nice to get him signed for 2 years whether he finds his game again or we decide to deal him.
Yeah, after thinking on it a bit, I'd probably revise my offer and give him a lowball two year "show us" deal for around 2 million per. A 2x2 gives us a lot of flexibility, plus even if he's as bad as he is, it's cheap enough to move somewhere else for a GM who'll pay for his tools and the (fleeting) potential that he gets it all together.

Kap has an interest in only signing a one year deal: he’s a UFA after this season and he probably hopes to improve his value…anyone thinking th team will ask for or negotiate a deal with him for two years is crazy…
I dunno a 2 year deal is guaranteed income that's more than he'd get playing in Europe, with the possibility of being able to stay in the NHL and maybe even increase his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad