Kansas City still looking for team?

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Winnipeg and QC - minor league cities

Deal with it.

If Winnipeg , Quebec City & Hamilton are minor league cities then what makes theses following cities so special that they can have a major pro sports franchises & Winnipeg , Quebec City & Hamilton can not ?

Salt Lake City (NBA.)
Oaklahoma City (NBA.)
Green Bay (NFL.)
Buffalo (NFL.) (NHL.)
Raleigh (NHL.)
Columbus (NHL.)
Jacksonville (NFL.)

Please note I know did not say Hamilton I just added Hamilton .

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If Winnipeg , Quebec City & Hamilton are minor league cities then what makes theses following cities so special that they can have a major pro sports franchises & Winnipeg , Quebec City & Hamilton can not ?

Salt Lake City (NBA.)
Oaklahoma City (NBA.)
Green Bay (NFL.)
Buffalo (NFL.) (NHL.)
Raleigh (NHL.)
Columbus (NHL.)
Jacksonville (NFL.)

All of those cities have populations at least twice the size of Winnipeg and Quebec City, save for Green Bay. (Salt Lake and Oklahoma are close to being less than twice).

And ALL of them have populations exceeding 100,000. That's why.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Winnipeg , Hamilton & Quebec City have populations will over 700.000 people more than enough to support an NHL. franchise not to mention Hamilton has access to millions fans in the outlining areas around the city such as London , Kitchener\Waterloo , Brantford ect. .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Kansas City Kansas & Kansas City Missouri has a population of 2.5+M, a largish & impressive array of corporate head and sattelite offices; a now 4 year old stunningly beautiful state of the art arena in its downtown core and arena managers who know what their doing. The citys ranked 6 or 7 as "Best Place to Live" in America; has an excellent LRT system, great demographics.

It was around 2 million in the 2010 census, #29 in the list of U.S. metropolitan areas. Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Portland, Sacramento, San Antonio, San Diego, Orlando and Seattle are bigger metros without NHL teams. Las Vegas, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Austin and Norfolk/Va. Beach are within a few places.

And I don't know where you got that "Best Place To Live" ranking from, I'm not saying you make it up, but there's like 500 different lists like that out there and it means absolutely nothing.

I wouldn't ever underestimate the chance of KC getting a team, simply because they are willing and have an arena, but the reality is that KC is no Atlanta or even a Phoenix in terms of being part of a push into the U.S. mainstream. Both existing KC franchises exist in a bit of a shadowy place in their respective leagues and the area has a pretty big image problem.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Which has 2.1 million people. 2.6 within 45 minutes. Winnioeg won't draw in the US, as all the Canadian teams don't

And im sure the Panthers, islanders, trashers, coyotes, blues jackets are all huge draw on the road :laugh:

Lets face it Montreal toronto, boston, philly, detroit, chicago and the rangers are the only teams drawing on the road.

Yes i know pittsburgh and wash are huge draws now but remove the stars players and it will stop which is not the case for the team listed above

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Winnipeg , Hamilton & Quebec City have populations will over 700.000 people more than enough to support an NHL. franchise not to mention Hamilton has access to millions fans in the outlining areas around the city such as London , Kitchener\Waterloo , Brantford ect. .

I don't doubt that...

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Kansas City has an NFL team and a MLB team. Pretty sure those are the 2 biggest leagues on this continent. Also, they have an NHL ready stadium. What's Winnipeg or QC got for me??

Your right, Kansas City does have an NFL and MLB presence. No Canadian city has that "luxury," including Toronto. Must be a "minor league city."

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

Salt Lake City (NBA.)
Oaklahoma City (NBA.)
Green Bay (NFL.)
Buffalo (NFL.) (NHL.)
Raleigh (NHL.)
Columbus (NHL.)
Jacksonville (NFL.)

1) Why are you bringing up Hamilton
2) All those areas except for GB(Milwaukee) are over 1 million.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
-htpwn.

Right now Quebec has only Junior Hockey and Winnipeg has the AHL and CFL. So yes they are minor league.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Both existing KC franchises exist in a bit of a shadowy place in their respective leagues and the area has a pretty big image problem.

That rankings from Money Magazine (2011), and ya, crimes a problem. Ranks 21st nationwide according to FBI stats.... :naughty:

DracoFulmineus

Out in a storm
Dec 7, 2005
with a steel pole
Personally, I think it would be interesting to see a team besides the 'Nucks anywhere near the Pacific NW. I'm not trying to diss Vancouver, I just always wondered why there isn't a team in Portland or Seattle.

But really, Winnipeg makes a lot more sense than anything else, especially as far as distance between teams goes. Seems rather unfair that the entire center of Canada gets screwed over.

Dado

KC would be as marginal a third-tier market as whatever city it would be stealing a franchise from.

And there's nothing inherently bad about that, in and of itself - most cities with "major league" teams are second/third tier cities.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
KC would be as marginal a third-tier market as whatever city it would be stealing a franchise from.

And there's nothing inherently bad about that, in and of itself - most cities with "major league" teams are second/third tier cities.
You never hear "we need these teams for city pride" in NY, LA, Chi or even DC.

throatguzzler

May 18, 2010
Philly'ish
You've also got to take in racial and immigrant demographics too when looking at city populations. How many african americans and mexican immigrants would really be interested in Hockey? Not that many, definitely less than half.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Salt Lake City (NBA.)
Oaklahoma City (NBA.)
Green Bay (NFL.)
Buffalo (NFL.) (NHL.)
Raleigh (NHL.)
Columbus (NHL.)
Jacksonville (NFL.)

If Winnipeg were in the United States, it would be the 76th-largest metro area in terms of population; Quebec would be 72nd. Toledo, which marks an area to stop and go to the bathroom between Detroit and Columbus, is 81st. Cities that have ECHL teams are larger than both of those.

To specifically touch on Columbus, it's centrally located in a fairly small state....34th in total area, 7th in population. From any truly populated area to Columbus is a two-hour drive at most. That's 11,000,000 people within a moderate drive. All of the smaller-population major league cities in the United States are within a moderate drive of either another major league city or another sizable population area....Jacksonville has Orlando, Raleigh has Greensboro and Charlotte, Green Bay has Madison and Milwaukee, and so on.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
This population argument is absurd. If you don't have a fan base, the size of the city is meaningless in a gate-driven league. KC would be another NHL disaster.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I belive Kansas City wants an NBA. team more than it wants an NHL. team .

I've never seen any evidence to support that. Not saying it might not be true, but you're making the claim, so do you have anything to back it up?

St. Louis, the across state city, has only the NHL, so a team in Kansas City could set up a potentially good rivalry, something that wouldn't be the case with the NBA.

That said, I'm just not sure that the KC market can well support another major league team, be it the NHL or the NBA. I think there are other better potential markets in the US... Portland, Seattle, Tulsa, Omaha, Houston, Hampton Roads... Of course some of those aren't arena-ready, and most of the others aren't currently advertising to get a team. But then, who has stepped up to own a team in KC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad