Kaner's 1100th point watch thread

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Why is Quick on your list?
Why not? He might be the best American goalie. Between Quick, Barrasso, and Richter ... you can make a good case for Quick from his stats and hardware. Ryan Miller won a Vezina, but no Cups.

Seriously, look at Quick's stats. It's very good. He also has a Conn Smythe and 2 Jennings. Barrasso has a Vezima. Richter won in the biggest market and in international play.

Mike Richter Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Jonathan Quick Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Tom Barrasso Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Ryan Miller Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

IMO, Quick is the best American goalie ever. You. might disagree, but I don't think it's a crazy argument.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Why not? He might be the best American goalie. Between Quick, Barrasso, and Richter ... you can make a good case for Quick from his stats and hardware. Ryan Miller won a Vezina, but no Cups.

Seriously, look at Quick's stats. It's very good. He also has a Conn Smythe and 2 Jennings. Barrasso has a Vezima. Richter won in the biggest market and in international play.

IMO, Quick is the best American goalie ever. You. might disagree, but I don't think it's a crazy argument.

I don't think Quick ranks up there with the players you mentioned. I think american goaltending has been subpar compared to forwards and D. This is why I think Quick (and the other 3) shouldn't be close to the list.

Quick is not even the best American goalie of his generation, Ryan Miller is. Quick won 2 cups yes (team thing) but Miller has been a better goalie. All-time I put Quick 4th. If you want to see crazy stats look at Ryan Miller at Michigan State.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

greatest American goalie of all-time is this guy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Brimsek

he was called Mr. Zero for a reason...but yeah that was a long time ago.

as for this generation, Richter didn't have the best overall stats, but had the biggest win ever... Barrasso peaked really early but never really dominant..

VanBiesbrouk could have a case same for Tim Thomas who has probably the best peak of any US goalie..just shorter career.

It comes down to Miller and Quick for me, you can flip a coin for either but Quick is absolutely underrated because he played on defensive minded teams. I have no issues with anyone saying it is Quick or it is Miller..both were great goalies. I have Quick easily ahead of Richter and Barrasso though...

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I don't think Quick ranks up there with the players you mentioned. I think american goaltending has been subpar compared to forwards and D. This is why I think Quick (and the other 3) shouldn't be close to the list.

Quick is not even the best American goalie of his generation, Ryan Miller is. Quick won 2 cups yes (team thing) but Miller has been a better goalie. All-time I put Quick 4th. If you want to see crazy stats look at Ryan Miller at Michigan State.
Quick also won a Conn Smythe though. He was highly instrumental in those Cups. If you like Miller, that's fine. However, it's not crazy to say Quick was the greatest American goalie ever.

I was just writing prominent American hockey players off the back of my head. I thought I should put a goalie on the list. In reality, I doubt anyone thinks Roenick is the greatest American hockey player ever ... but I put him on the list anyways.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Quick also won a Conn Smythe though. He was highly instrumental in those Cups. If you like Miller, that's fine. However, it's not crazy to say Quick was the greatest American goalie ever.

I was just writing prominent American hockey players off the back of my head. I thought I should put a goalie on the list. In reality, I doubt anyone thinks Roenick is the greatest American hockey player ever ... but I put him on the list anyways.

My whole point is that Quick is not like the other greats you listed. That is all.

Miller is statistically better than Quick. Quick gets more press largely due to his acrobatic style. The cups mean something but Quick did not win them on his own.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
My whole point is that Quick is not like the other greats you listed. That is all.

Miller is statistically better than Quick. Quick gets more press largely due to his acrobatic style. The cups mean something but Quick did not win them on his own.
I have no clue how to properly rate goalies. All I can go by is the stats and hardware. Admittedly, I don't know the nuance of the position.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The cups mean something but Quick did not win them on his own.

I really disagree with this general thought process. We saw it all the time with Toews and individual Blackhawks players.

A player does not win a Cup on their own, but teams need great players playing great in order to win championships and that should be looked at as a tremendous accomplishment IMHO.

Quick’s fantastic play during the two Cup wins and his Smythe elevate him above Miller.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I really disagree with this general thought process. We saw it all the time with Toews and individual Blackhawks players.

A player does not win a Cup on their own, but teams need great players playing great in order to win championships and that should be looked at as a tremendous accomplishment IMHO.

Quick’s fantastic play during the two Cup wins and his Smythe elevate him above Miller.

We are talking goalies so Vezina > Conn Smyth imo.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
giphy-2.gif

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

I felt like Quick sort of threw the Kings on his back for their first Cup win. The 2nd cup win felt like a more all around team win than the first did. Just going off memory, I didn't look stats up or anything.

NoHuman

May 31, 2018
Anyone know where you can find stats for youngest to 1000? I know only 88 players have done it in NHL history (although Eric Staal is at 989 so he'll probably be the 89th before Kane), but I can't find stats about the age when they did or # of games.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Anyone know where you can find stats for youngest to 1000? I know only 88 players have done it in NHL history (although Eric Staal is at 989 so he'll probably be the 89th before Kane), but I can't find stats about the age when they did or # of games.

Not sure where that can be found, but Gretzky was only 23. Anyone else is going to pale in comparison.

Reactions: NoHuman

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017

This doesn't have the age but it does have the game number they reached 1000 points

List of NHL players with 1,000 points - Wikipedia

Reactions: NoHuman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad