Kane Suspended 3 Games for Elbowing

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It is 100% baffling why they have a single, retired player in charge of suspensions. He will definitely have some kind of bias. They need to have a board of people who probably don't even watch hockey to dish out suspensions in a neutral manner consistent with the rulebook.

This is my biggest issue. This should be decided by committee. Not by one person who is an ex-player and definitely has shown to have his own biases.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
not specific to Kane's suspension, but I just wanted to throw some Internet jabs at the DoPS
aka
"helicopter enforcer"
or
"physical play master blender"

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Sorry I'm late to the party. I was wondering if he got fined for his remarks on social media?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
31 Thoughts: Making sense of Toffoli trade for Canucks - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman reports
The NHL is still weighing further punishment for Evander Kane, who napalmed the supplemental discipline process after his three-game suspension for elbowing Neal Pionk. Watching all of the Astros’ fallout in Major League Baseball, it’s clear the players are emboldened to speak out because so many are doing it. Is this a blip, or the start of a trend?

Might there be a fine incoming?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

The commish in the mlb is a complete failure. If the owners were smart they would fire him before this season starts or it could be a long season for mlb with a lot of angry fans and players.

And with the players if i was a player on the other teams not involved in the cheating. I would be going to the union and saying remove the immunity on the cheaters and let the league deal with them properly or we will do it ourselves.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The commish in the mlb is a complete failure. If the owners were smart they would fire him before this season starts or it could be a long season for mlb with a lot of angry fans and players.

And with the players if i was a player on the other teams not involved in the cheating. I would be going to the union and saying remove the immunity on the cheaters and let the league deal with them properly or we will do it ourselves.
To play devil's advocate. The MLB scored a big win with the Astros cheating scandal. People are actually talking about the league and Astros games will likely break viewership records because fans want to see them get thrown at.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Parros is in charge, but it's a group that makes the decisions.

Consistency as been an issue since Brian Burke was in charge of DoPS.

I have no doubt the biggest issue with the lack of consistency is that there is no indication of what kind of punishments for foul play.

Being Australian, the National Rugby League setup isn't perfect, but it at least gives a bit more knowledge into what kind of suspension should be handed out. The process in a nutshell:
  • A 'Match Review Committee' reviews games and will charge a player with an offence if deemed worthy. A referee can report a player during the game which the MRC will review.
  • A player will be charged with offence and a grading. The higher the grade, the greater the severity of offence. These grades and charges carry a certain penalty.
  • Players have a chance to take an early plea and receive a discount on the punishment, or they can go to a judiciary to challenge the grading or the offence altogether. The judiciary is different group to the MRC.
If we were applying this kind of system to Kane it could look like this:
  • MRC charges Kane with a Grade 1 elbow. This carries a 3 game suspension.
  • Kane can take an early plea and receive a 2 game suspension or follow through with a hearing to beat the charge.
The benefits of this system is that is disperses the power of one group as the MRC and Hearing panel are independent of each other, the charges and associated penalties are known prior to the season, player has some ability to accept responsibility or challenge the charge.

It definitely isn't perfect as it would still rely on the MRC to bring charges (the risk of consistency issues are still there) but I'd argue it would be clearer.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Player with the most fights ever against the Sharks:

George Parros (17)

Next highest is Krys Barch with 13.

Yes, being a goon was his only duty as a nhler, but you can't tell me with a straight face that some of those fights weren't personal or that there isn't ANY bias in the decisions he makes involving San Jose. It's f***ing human nature.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad