Player Discussion K'Andre Miller

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Miller's upside puts him ahead of Dobson, IMO.

Why does Miller have more upside than Dobson? Dobson has more points this year than Miller will likely ever score in any season. I don't see huge offensive upside in him. He's a great skater but he's not a shooter and I wouldn't consider him a great playmaker in the offensive zone. If Miller has untapped offensive upside there's no reason to say Dobson doesn't have untapped defensive upside. There's this whole "Mini-Hedman" thing going around and I don't see that at all.

I think Dahlin, Svechnikov, Hughes, Tkachuk, Farabee, Dobson would definitely go above him. Then I'd have Miller in the next group with Bouchard, Kotkaniemi, Durzi, and Shrangovich. I'd probably have him at the top of that group so 7th but I could see teams going with Bouchard since he looks like he might be an elite offensive dman. He has a pretty similar offensive profile to Dougie Hamilton.

Last edited:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Why does Miller have more upside than Dobson? Dobson has more points this year than Miller will likely ever score in any season. I don't see huge offensive upside in him. He's a great skater but he's not a shooter and I wouldn't consider him a great playmaker in the offensive zone. If Miller has untapped offensive upside there's no reason to say Dobson doesn't have untapped defensive upside. There's this whole "Mini-Hedman" thing going around and I don't see that at all.
if you do not play on the top PP unit you are not going to score a lot of points. if u cant see miller's offensive abilities then i dont know what ur looking at. hes got a rocket shot and has on many occasions this year shown great dekes and stickhandling. dobson gets top PP minutes and gets more offensive zone starts than miller. this year they have relatively similar ES production offensively.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Guy has turned into an excellent shutdown defenseman. That is extremely impressive in his sophomore season. He's been really good on both sides of the puck but I think he's reached another level defensively.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
if you do not play on the top PP unit you are not going to score a lot of points. if u cant see miller's offensive abilities then i dont know what ur looking at. hes got a rocket shot and has on many occasions this year shown great dekes and stickhandling. dobson gets top PP minutes and gets more offensive zone starts than miller. this year they have relatively similar ES production offensively.

What does raw numbers have anything to do with it? (Edit: I guess I mentioned Dobson's total points this year).His scoring rates at 5v5 aren't that good. They are just ok for a defenseman. He has a good shot but he doesn't use it often at all. Maybe he will in the future though I wouldn't consider that to be a good thing for the team (though it would be good for his numbers). Shots from the point are generally not good shots. He is a very good skater and stickhandler, yes. Plenty of players are good at those things. I don't see him as a great passer or playmaker.

He's been really strong defensively and occasionally has some offensive flashes. I find out a bit outrageous to think that he can take his offensive game to another level while Dobson, at the same age, can't do the same thing to his defensive numbers.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Where does K’Andre go in a 2018 redraft?

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. QHughes
4. Miller???
5. BTkachuk

I bet he doesn't go that high. Great defenseman but doesn't have the points to go top 5. Then again I don't remember who else was drafted that year.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
Dobson has been really good this year, but yeah, no way Zadina should be ahead of Miller.
I've posted how I've seen almost every piles game this season and Dobson has not been really good this year. He has been much better than his earlier play when he was a reason for the piles supershitshow season. Dobson was f***ing atrociously incompetent when it counted.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
22 year old Noah Dobson cannot improve defensively?
He better f***ing improve defensively but right now he's AWFUL and a big reason the piles shat themselves this year. If Dobson was on the Rangers his abuse would make the Rangers fans treatment of Pionk feel like a love affair.

Reactions: Kendo

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He better f***ing improve defensively but right now he's AWFUL and a big reason the piles shat themselves this year. If Dobson was on the Rangers his abuse would make the Rangers fans treatment of Pionk feel like a love affair.

That is hard to believe considering he has a 1.94 GA60 and 57.1 GF%, on the year. Whether or not his play has warranted those results or he's been bailed out by Sorokin is really immaterial. We're looking at descriptive stats here that tells you what happened when he's been on the ice and when he's been on the ice the Islanders results on the scoreboard have been good. Whether or not that is predictive of future success isn't the point. The opposition hasn't scored much at all with him on the ice so having him out there certainly hasn't been a big problem for the Islanders.

Reactions: Kendo and Dominance

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Beast! Showed signs last year now is showing signs and consistency.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not going to pretend I watch Vancouver but Miller is much better than Hughes, no?
Hughes gets way over hyped so if you were to ask on the main boards he would probably win in a landslide. But his defense is pretty brutal compared to Miller's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad