Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hopefully we start seeing him play absolute shutdown D. Idc about him getting shots or points as much as that. We don't have anyone anywhere near this organization who can go out against a top line and shut it down while contributing offensively. That's what we need him to be. Of course if he's a more offensively inclined 2nd pair D there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just crossing my fingers that the D side takes a leap in development

I think what the Rangers really want is for him to be an all situations guy. Kind of like Trouba is right now--very dependable defensively but who can jump into the offense. He's got size and skating and from growing up playing forward he has offensive instincts. Not sure that he has that edge or mean streak that Trouba has. That would be helpful too.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I think what the Rangers really want is for him to be an all situations guy. Kind of like Trouba is right now--very dependable defensively but who can jump into the offense. He's got size and skating and from growing up playing forward he has offensive instincts. Not sure that he has that edge or mean streak that Trouba has. That would be helpful too.
f*** what the Rangers want, it's what I want! Me! ME! ME! I'M the consumer! I'M the costumer and I'm right dammit. Shutdown D or trade his ass

Reactions: Kallio

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Hopefully we start seeing him play absolute shutdown D. Idc about him getting shots or points as much as that. We don't have anyone anywhere near this organization who can go out against a top line and shut it down while contributing offensively. That's what we need him to be. Of course if he's a more offensively inclined 2nd pair D there is nothing wrong with that. I'm just crossing my fingers that the D side takes a leap in development
Should be noted that he was on a breakaway because he had just come out of the penalty box.

I would not call him a shutdown D at all. His defensive zone coverage is pretty sloppy at times and there is a slight tendency to coast and watch. Nothing a little coaching won't fix though :D

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

From that article:

"The biggest thing, I think, is having an impact on other people," Miller says of his career ahead. "It's always kind of been my goal. I just realize that not everyone has it as good as some of us. I didn't have it as good as a lot of people growing up ... I'm looking forward to hopefully impacting a lot of young kids that don't think they can make it at this level or get out of whatever they're going through. It's always been a big part of me."

Miller is already taking steps in that direction while in school. The communication arts major had a conversation with his academic advisor about it and is taking a few classes this semester that he hopes will help him learn some more of the ins and outs of doing charitable work.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

This is the type of personality I want on the team.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What do you mean?

The end product for Miller has a chance to be exciting. But I expect him to be a guy who also is going to have some major adjustments and a lot of Learning to do as he develops.

In other words he might not be a kid who has a steady upward trajectory, there may be some noticeable dips in there and moments when his mistakes are glaring — especially on defense.

I can see the “he’ll never be a top defenseman” chatter coming pretty quickly after people actually have a chance to see him and not just read about him or see a highlights video.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kid of an up and down start for him. Wasn’t very good in the game I went to. Scored the goal last night but was on the ice for a few against late.

didn’t see the games against Minnesota but did hear he was great defensively.

interesting year for him. Hope he doesn’t try to do too much.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I can see the “he’ll never be a top defenseman” chatter coming pretty quickly after people actually have a chance to see him and not just read about him or see a highlights video.
I already am convinced he won't be. The D ability just isn't there to the degree that it would need to be. BUT he's still so raw and he's so athletic that I am not ruling it out. I'll be happy if he's a legit 2nd pair guy or a low end first pair

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I already am convinced he won't be. The D ability just isn't there to the degree that it would need to be. BUT he's still so raw and he's so athletic that I am not ruling it out

And he could. But he’s such a freak athlete, I can also see a scenario where people see what’s he’s capable of and start putting the cart before the horse.

I think it’s more likely than not there are going to be times where people are going to absolutely crap on his defense and decision making as he adjusts and learns. His athletic ability will allow him to compete and challenge, but it’s going to be a learning process as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kallio and gravey9

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Honestly, I think Miller is already bored playing in college. He probably looks at the way Skjei or Staal has played and figures he could play in the NHL right now. He made college look easy last year before he got injured. I suspect he is already looking forward to moving on. Other than Miller that Wisconsin team is a bunch of shrimps. They have no size.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Wow... Providing analysis on your team's prospect and you're gonna get pissy about English. I'll just show myself out.
FWIW, many of us appreciate the insight. But we have a couple of, uh, malcontents on our board, sorry to say. Not sure who gave you the snotty response, but please feel free to put them on ignore and come back to us with more reports.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Honestly, I think Miller is already bored playing in college. He probably looks at the way Skjei or Staal has played and figures he could play in the NHL right now. He made college look easy last year before he got injured. I suspect he is already looking forward to moving on. Other than Miller that Wisconsin team is a bunch of shrimps. They have no size.
He is not NHL ready and I don’t think he figures that and is not trying because of it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wow... Providing analysis on your team's prospect and you're gonna get pissy about English. I'll just show myself out.
You were "correcting" me by providing an analysis I had already provided. You failed to understand what you were reading and I gave you a TINY bit of ragging bc of it. Instead of taking your tiny lump with a bit of humor and admitting you made a small mistake you compound it by stomping your feet and leaving the entire board with a dramatic announcement.

All this considered...pardon me if I'm not begging for more of your expert insight.

We do have 'malcontents' here but this isn't an example of it.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You were "correcting" me by providing an analysis I had already provided. You failed to understand what you were reading and I gave you a TINY bit of ragging bc of it. Instead of taking your tiny lump with a bit of humor and admitting you made a small mistake you compound it by stomping your feet and leaving the entire board with a dramatic announcement.

All this considered...pardon me if I'm not begging for more of your expert insight.
This is a joke, right? There was no correction, I was merely building off of what you said. Reading comprehension is hard though... and if you really want to dive into specifics... Your exact words were "Hopefully we start seeing him play absolute shutdown D." Implying that he plays at least somewhat competent shutdown defense at all, which is a joke in itself. Honestly, cannot tell if you have seen a single game because your analysis is not really analysis. It is just you saying you hope he is XYZ type of defenseman because that is what the Rangers need and then using a blanket statement, his D needs to improve, that has been beaten to death since the year leading up to his draft. My bad for elaborating on what actually needs to improve in his defense dude.

Dude was drafted as a project offensive defenseman with massive potential if he can upgrade his d-zone coverage to average. You: "Idc about him getting shots or points." You would if you did proper analysis.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
This is a joke, right? There was no correction,I was merely building off of what you said. Reading comprehension is hard though...
I say he isn't one. You quote me and say he isn't one at all.
That was either redundant or an attempt by you to correct me after misreading. I still can't even understand why you got so upset over this nothing.

"Hopefully we start seeing him play absolute shutdown D." Implying that he plays at least somewhat competent shutdown defense at all,
Honestly, cannot tell if you have seen a single game because your analysis is not really analysis.
If someone has to start something...how does that imply that they've already started doing it?
The only analysis I gave is that he hasn't started playing shutdown D. You reiterated this analysis.

It is just you saying you hope he is XYZ type of defenseman because that is what the Rangers need,
You say that as if you are cracking some code. I was not hiding this. This is exactly what my original comment was. You saying this now, in this manner further supports my idea that you didn't get what you were reading.

then using a blanket statement, his D needs to improve, that has been beaten to death since the year leading up to his draft. My bad for elaborating on what actually needs to improve in his defense dude.
I never said anything close to a blanket statement like "He has to or he's a bust/failure"

And you didn't elaborate on jack in that post. 'He coasts. His zone coverage is sloppy'. Generalized shallow commentary which btw I wasn't even criticizing! From the beginning I was just playing with you for either being redundant or for misreading what I was saying. That's it.
Dude was drafted as a project offensive defenseman with massive potential if he can upgrade his d-zone coverage to average. You: "Idc about him getting shots or points." You would if you did proper analysis.

Quote the whole thing.

Idc about him getting shots or points AS MUCH AS 'THAT'. That = better D.

Bc I already KNOW he's got offensive chops and as I clearly stated I'm just really hoping we can get lucky and see him develop that shutdown game to go with. He's just our best shot at getting it so my fingers are crossed.

Now are we done here, yet? It really wasn't and isn't a big deal. You keep screwing up, misreading things and overreacting.

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I was very polite to you after you lost your mind and flipped out.

Hell, I calmly explained a lot of things last post after you went out of your way repeatedly to try and insult me.

I don't know why you decided to behave like this but I'm going to just exit the conversation.

According to your more recent posts, you made a redundant comment without thinking about it. That's totally fine. I'm sorry I highlighted that you did it. I really did not think that would be even the slightest issue to point out that you did it.

Plus a lot of shit gets lost in translation here. It's very reasonable to think that you accidentally thought I was saying that he IS a shutdown D and that you went to correct that as a result. You take care, keep giving the good folks at HF NYR your analysis. I'll make sure not to comment on your stuff to avoid future issues.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don’t think he’s bored. I think Granato is using him in a less offensive role and I would totally understand if that were frustrating him. Example being he took Miller off the point and put him in the bumper position on the power play to make room for Weissbach to be able to feed Caufield with Kalynuk at the top. The result is a less sexy stat line. As for defensively, another issue specific to the team is 4/6 defensemen are left handed LD. There are times where he will be out there with Kalynuk/Inamoto/Ess and I don’t think any of them or Miller truly know which side they are supposed to be on because they are all natural LD. This is where communication comes into play and that’s probably something he will need to work on along with the rest.

Last edited:

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Would love to see a Miller/Trouba pairing. I yearn for it. Two physical, shutdown defenders who display quite the athleticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad