News Article: Kaleta hit on Jack Johnson [10 games, upheld on appeal]

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Kaleta is one of the better skaters on the team,is a great pker and wants to win so badly he goes overboard sometimes and he needs to get a lot smarter about his hits. Unfortunately I doubt he will be effective if he changes-he will be thinking, not reacting and end up a half step out of the play. If he does not change though he will be targeted by the nhl divers and by refs who see an easy penalty because it is Kaleta.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Moral of the story after the Lapierre ruling: Bide your time, Kaleta. Then, after 18 months and one day, end someones career on the ice. Why not? You're no longer a repeat offender. So go ahead and try to cripple someone and take your five games. Lather, rinse and repeat.

Thanks Shanny.

But considering they don't like Kaleta he will probably be given a lifeban if he were to hit someone like that.

heartsabres*

independent ruling should lower the hit to 5 or 6 games if he goes that route.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
If Kaleta's appeal did get heard, I'm a bit surprised we haven't heard results.

I'm not. By delaying the announcement, he is effectively guaranteeing that he serves most of the games if the independent arbitrator over-rules them. Tomorrow will be game 6. If they don't have the independent arbitrator until Friday, there probably won't be a ruling until Monday, which means games 7 and 8 will already be over so even if he reduces it to 5 games, all that will happen is Kaleta won't lose as much money. This is why MLB suspensions don't begin until after appeals are over. The NHLPA screwed up on the appeal procedures.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I'm not. By delaying the announcement, he is effectively guaranteeing that he serves most of the games if the independent arbitrator over-rules them. Tomorrow will be game 6. If they don't have the independent arbitrator until Friday, there probably won't be a ruling until Monday, which means games 7 and 8 will already be over so even if he reduces it to 5 games, all that will happen is Kaleta won't lose as much money. This is why MLB suspensions don't begin until after appeals are over. The NHLPA screwed up on the appeal procedures.
If he wins the appeal after serving the ten games, they'll probably just have him make up the games he missed after the season ends.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
But considering they don't like Kaleta he will probably be given a lifeban if he were to hit someone like that.

If a player ended someone else's career on the ice they should be banned from professional hockey at all levels forever. Very, very simple.

I still find it funny that Sabres fans find Kaleta 'hard done by'. His a repeat offender that crosses the line way to often. He has his uses, sure, but that doesn't make him a clean player or 'victimised'.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
That's crazy talk. Players have their careers ended on perfectly innocent plays, as well as borderline plays.

There is a line where it's not an innocent or borderline play though. Bertuzzi is a great example. Those are the plays I mean. Even borderline plays should be seen in context, hard hits and unnecessary hits that are obviously players out to cause damage. They are relatively straightforward to spot.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
There is a line where it's not an innocent or borderline play though. Bertuzzi is a great example. Those are the plays I mean. Even borderline plays should be seen in context, hard hits and unnecessary hits that are obviously players out to cause damage. They are relatively straightforward to spot.

And who is going to be the judge of that? Shanahan? Bettman?

And I don't see much of anyone defending Kaleta when he does something stupid. Was anyone defending Kaleta after the head butt? I think the issue is the uneven justice. If it was anyone else in the league, this latest hit isn't even looked at by anyone.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

When it comes to flagrant, intentional dirty plays I agree that punishment should be far greater, but don't necessarily agree that it should matter how bad the resulting injury is. To my memory there have only been a few very long suspensions in league (counting AHL) history, not counting things like Theo Fleury's drug issues. There really should be more, guys suspended for half the season or longer even.

heartsabres*

That is just ridiculous. It is never straight forward and is very arbitrary.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

Well idk I mean I'm sure Kaleta wants to play and all but...

Well think of it this way say you were suspended for 2 weeks from your job without pay. You appeal but your employer delays the process with your union until after you've been home for 2 weeks and then decides that maybe a 1 week suspension should have been more fitting and has to pay you for the second week you missed. You basically got a free week of vaca right?

yeah I mean it'd be one thing if it was a key player suspension for say a playoff series and the league was dragging its feet until the series was over anyways. But in this case we're in no big rush to have kaleta back and the games are essentially meaningless anyways. So the only purpose the appeal has is to limit the effect on kaleta's salary, or perhaps maybe even just to make a point on principal to push back on the league for too harsh a penalty on the hit (in his opinion, anyways).

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Well idk I mean I'm sure Kaleta wants to play and all but...

Well think of it this way say you were suspended for 2 weeks from your job without pay. You appeal but your employer delays the process with your union until after you've been home for 2 weeks and then decides that maybe a 1 week suspension should have been more fitting and has to pay you for the second week you missed. You basically got a free week of vaca right?

yeah I mean it'd be one thing if it was a key player suspension for say a playoff series and the league was dragging its feet until the series was over anyways. But in this case we're in no big rush to have kaleta back and the games are essentially meaningless anyways. So the only purpose the appeal has is to limit the effect on kaleta's salary, or perhaps maybe even just to make a point on principal to push back on the league for too harsh a penalty on the hit (in his opinion, anyways).
If I loved my job like Kaleta probably does, it would matter a lot.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bettman upholds Kaleta 10-game suspension:
NEW YORK -- Commissioner Gary Bettman today upheld the 10-game suspension that was assessed to Buffalo Sabres forward Patrick Kaleta by the Department of Player Safety for an illegal check to the head of Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Jack Johnson in NHL Game No. 49 in Buffalo on October 10.

Commissioner Bettman heard Kaleta's appeal of the original decision, assessed Oct. 15, at a hearing in New York on Monday.

Kaleta is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, will forfeit $152,439.00. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 3:08 of the first period.

The commissioner's complete ruling is attached (See PDF)
I for one am not surprised.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'm not surprised either, but a decent argument is laid out by the NHLPA and Kaleta/Regier/whoever for it to be reduced. Particularly that Shanny procedure was not entirely correct and the comparables for the hit were not sufficient.

So I think it has a chance against a neutral arbitrator.

I love Bettman's quoting in part of the ruling...
Neither the fact that Mr. Kaleta was playing Buffalo's "system" (i.e., back checking the opposing team's Player handling the puck), nor the fact that he is relied on for his "energy" and "grittiness" and ability to make "hits" excuses Mr. Kaleta from his conduct...

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Bettman has to uphold this otherwise he is throwing Shanahan under the bus

Yea, this is a stupid appeals process.

1. You can't play during the appeal.

2. First appeal goes to Bettman. Was there any chance at all that Bettman was going to reduce the suspension?

3. Appeal to a neutral party only after most/all of the suspension is served (because of 1).

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
After reading the ruling in full, I have changed my mind.

Bettman makes a good case for a suspension being appropriate and the length being appropriate.

The NHLPA and Kaleta's argument was:
1. It was not avoidable (the head), because
2. The player (Johnson) shift his body immediately prior to hit, affecting the point of contact
3. The angle of approach could not have been changed (which Bettman chose not to comment on)

There was no argument, at least brought up by Bettman, about the inconsitent ruling on equally egregious or more egregious hits that were unpunished or underpunished. I have no reason to think the NHLPA and Kaleta will use this argument in another appeal and thus it is not likely an arbitrator will factor that in.

On merit alone, the 10-game suspension seems appropriate. It's a shame the NHL will not apply the same level of consequence across the board.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
After reading the ruling in full, I have changed my mind.

Bettman makes a good case for a suspension being appropriate and the length being appropriate.

The NHLPA and Kaleta's argument was:
1. It was not avoidable (the head), because
2. The player (Johnson) shift his body immediately prior to hit, affecting the point of contact
3. The angle of approach could not have been changed (which Bettman chose not to comment on)

There was no argument, at least brought up by Bettman, about the inconsitent ruling on equally egregious or more egregious hits that were unpunished or underpunished. I have no reason to think the NHLPA and Kaleta will use this argument in another appeal and thus it is not likely an arbitrator will factor that in.

On merit alone, the 10-game suspension seems appropriate. It's a shame the NHL will not apply the same level of consequence across the board.

I read the 14 pages as well tonight.

Bettman ***** on Kaleta and his style, basically stating he is reckless and has ok respect for his opponents.

Lots of discipline in an 8 year career like bettman says. Interesting read. A little excessive and redundant but I recommend it to those who have a few minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad