News Article: Kaleta hit on Jack Johnson [10 games, upheld on appeal]

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=686359&navid=nhl:topheads

Buffalo Sabres right wing Patrick Kaleta will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety for an incident against the Columbus Blue Jackets Thursday night at First Niagara Center.

Kaleta was offered the opportunity for an in-person hearing as required by provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement for any suspension that can exceed five games.

At 3:10 of the first period, Kaleta collided with Columbus defenseman Jack Johnson near the boards just inside the Buffalo zone. No penalty was assessed for that hit, but Kaleta received a fighting major after engaging with the Blue Jackets' Jared Boll after the hit.

Johnson remained in the game.

The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: illegal check to the head. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.

Columbus won the game, 4-1

Video:

25 seconds in.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I don't even remember the hit, but it sounds like the league is throwing the book at him. Not surprising. He's a repeat offender and I doubt the league is too fond of him.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
AT THAT SPEED, it looked like it was a missed check(johnson stopped in time) and Johnson's head was still moving forward a little bit and Kaleta caught him with his arm. Didn't look like the elbow was brought up, but if so, suspend him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
AT THAT SPEED, it looked like it was a missed check(johnson stopped in time) and Johnson's head was still moving forward a little bit and Kaleta caught him with his arm. Didn't look like the elbow was brought up, but if so, suspend him.

I thought, even with the arm down, it was just like the Kariya hit from a few years ago that was part of the highlight package released by the league of what is not allowable now.

Clock

May 13, 2006
Looks like it was more an unfortunate hit than anything else, but reputation will erase any benefit of a doubt Kaleta might've otherwise been given.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
At this point Kaleta might as well retire because he isn't going to get a fair shake from anyone. Every player in the league knows that if they notice Kaleta coming hard at them, they can turn late, or move their body in a way to make the hit LOOK bad, knowing that officials will probably call a reputation penalty. Even if they don't, crap like this happens later.

Kaleta is no angel. He's done some dumb things. (The headbutt comes to mind quickly, but there are others.) However, he does not get a fair shake, and it's sad to see. The NHL does not know how to handle discipline, they never have, and then this is where we end up.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Sure it could be, but then again point me to an in person hearing that has resulted in less.

I can't think of any...

I don't follow every in person hearing, and I'm sure you don't either.

Try just answering with FACTS here. An in person hearing does not mean a suspension is required to be longer than 5 games. It PROBABLY will because Kaleta, but does not HAVE to be.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
At this point Kaleta might as well retire because he isn't going to get a fair shake from anyone. Every player in the league knows that if they notice Kaleta coming hard at them, they can turn late, or move their body in a way to make the hit LOOK bad, knowing that officials will probably call a reputation penalty. Even if they don't, crap like this happens later.

Kaleta is no angel. He's done some dumb things. (The headbutt comes to mind quickly, but there are others.) However, he does not get a fair shake, and it's sad to see. The NHL does not know how to handle discipline, they never have, and then this is where we end up.

If they knew how to handle discipline, they would throw the book at repeat offenders and get this crap out of the game. Look at the Edler/Hertl incident last night. Hey, you are going to score 4 goals and showboat? Look out the next game. That's ridiculous and stupid. Get this stupid **** out of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad