News Article: Kaleta hit on Jack Johnson [10 games, upheld on appeal]

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't see why everyone is so shocked. Kaleta has been disciplined many times over a few seasons. If this hit was a first offense, it would be 1 or 2 games, but it's like his 6th offense. He is widely known to be among the dirtiest players in the NHL. He should know better by now that when you line a guy up from across the rink, you don't have a lot of control over the point of impact when you arrive at full speed.

Anyway, at least he gets a break from the indignity of playing for the 2013-14 Sabres.

Everyone is shocked?

skibum

Jan 23, 2011
I'm all about taking unnecessary hits out of the game, but this looked more accidental than intentional. Kaleta was being semi-reckless though, and due to reputation he'll get hammered more than he should...probably 8-10 games for a non-injury hit.

This pretty much sums it up, except that I would say he was being fully reckless. Whatever body part happened to be in his path was going to get smacked. It turned out to be a head. 10 games, smell ya later.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
What a ****ing joke. NHL is a disgrace that one of the most dirtiest players in NHL history is their "disciplinarian". Hit wasnt even suspension worthy. Hey NHL if this is 10 games then the hit that golden ****** I mean Golden boy Mike Richards put on Connolly in game 6 of the 11 playoffs should have been a 100 game suspension you ****ing clowns.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I figured he'd get 10 games. I just hate that this was so easy for the NHL. He's a repeat offender that they don't like, so they could throw the book at him for a hit that didn't even amount to anything. Now they can say they're tough on headshots. The next time a superstar delivers one that causes serious injury, though, it's two games and a threat of canceling their next preseason.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Whatevs. He's a stupid player. Not in our future plans. I couldn't care less.

This. Ott, Foligno & McCormick all bring the same physicality without being morons... Time to waive Kaleta and give his roster spot to a guy like Porter or Catenacci

PK36 has become a hinderance on the ice due to his history of being a dirty player, any close play goes against us, and he doesn't give enough back to make that worth it... See ya Patty.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Remember, kid has never gotten the benefit of the doubt. Gauthier/Lapierre got a combined 0 games for blatant cheapshots before PK ever had a disciplinary history.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Remember, kid has never gotten the benefit of the doubt. Gauthier/Lapierre got a combined 0 games for blatant cheapshots before PK ever had a disciplinary history.
He didn't get caught for the longest time. After he first did he stayed out of the spotlight for a while. Then he got caught again and it's been downhill since then. He's turned into a total idiot and liability out there the past 2 seasons. It's a hit that deserved 2-3 games at most but he's too stupid to understand that he's going to get 5-10 so he throws it anyways.

Lapierre will get a handful of games for his hit on Boyle and then not get caught for the next 2 years until people forget about him. Then when he gets caught ramming some guys head into the boards again he will only get 2-3 games instead of the 10+ he should.

Kaleta isn't going to be in this league much longer if he doesn't figure this out. If 10 games for this hit doesn't get it through to him then he needs to be suspended for the remainder of the season by the team the next time he does this.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Look does anyone take shanny seriously anymore?

If not just let this roll off you

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think it's a bit ridiculous.

Yeah, Kaleta has a history, but he's also a non-important player in the grand scheme of things.

Meanwhile, someone like Dustin Brown has been submarining and elbowing people all over the place, especially in the playoffs, no supplemental discipline at all (he finally got suspended once last season).

My point is, I don't care if it's 3, 5 or 10 games for Kaleta.
But I do care the rules are obviously not applied the same way to everyone.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Kaleta will be appealing the 10 games.

I hope it's reduced by a few games and made very clear why -- because Shanahan is not applying the same standards to all players, and a reduced suspension brings it more in line with other suspension rulings.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
The best part of Shanny's video is where he says, "and while Johnson is appearing to be stopping, it's "our opinion" that his head"...

Johnson stopped abruptly, while Kaleta was flying in from the side.
At one time that was called incidental.
10 games based on an opinion. Good stuff.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Kaleta will be appealing the 10 games.

I hope it's reduced by a few games and made very clear why -- because Shanahan is not applying the same standards to all players, and a reduced suspension brings it more in line with other suspension rulings.

agreed and only this neutral arbitrator has the power to set this precedent. This is a risky move for Patty though as it basically calls out Shanahan

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
As much as I wish it mattered, it won't.

The NHL has never shown any kind of consistency in supplemental discipline. Ever. Whatever logic or reasoning used with Kaleta today will go out the window the next time a higher profile skill player does something similar.

Even the term 'repeat offender' has lost it's meaning. Some players seem to have lifetime repeat offender status that always gets cited (Kaleta) and others have a magically expiring status (Ovechkin).

No, I don't think Kaleta should get a free pass. But he's certainly not being judged the same as everyone else.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
To a certain degree, Kaleta has made his bed and now he has to lay in it. (ya think??)

But I think the message that is being sent is we (the NHL) don't want you in this league and we are going to take away any discretion in your game and leave you with no where to play because there's no place/way you can contribute.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm interested to find out about the appeals process.

To a certain degree, Kaleta has made his bed and now he has to lay in it. (ya think??)

But I think the message that is being sent is we (the NHL) don't want you in this league and we are going to take away any discretion in your game and leave you with no where to play because there's no place/way you can contribute.

He's going to have to go full-Cooke in order to mitigate that. Matt appears to be a changed person based on what he's doing in Minny. Granted... old habits die hard and all that.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't see what was reckless about the hit. He went in arms down, I could see an argument that he led with his shoulder. I was listening to HNIC on XM and they made him seem like he murdered children, " Everytime he steps on the ice I hold my breathe knowing he is going to do something stupid" "He was suspended 21 games ago for the same hit on Richards" (Not the same hit at all) but it appears he is the most evil player in the NHL. Based on the hit and argument he lead with his shoulder and his reputation I give him 4 games. And to the people wanting to waive him, :shakehead

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Sucks cuz his careers probably over but good riddance I say. Hands are fragile like Mayweathers and is a dirty headbutter. His little instigation stuff doesn't work anymore either because of his reputation.

He was also supposed to build an ice rink years ago in Springville. Wheres my ice rink dammit!?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sucks cuz his careers probably over

Uhhh....wha?

Who's career is over? To my knowledge, JJ isn't missing any games and Kaleta didn't get some sort of lifetime suspension.

If Kaleta cleans it up, he can certainly still be a 4th line disturber and a very good PKer. Kind of like a Cooke-lite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->