Kakko vs Höglander

Kakko vs Höglander

• Total voters

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Going with Kakko. Brilliant defensively last season. He’s shown offensive abilities pre-NHL. Will get the scoring going once he works on his shot and conditioning.

Reactions: Mestaruus

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Probably can’t go wrong with either. Hoglander is obviously not as high a pick but his non stop motor, compete and seamless transition to the NHL give him a slight edge right now imo.

I think Kakko likely wins the poll due to his high draft position but I don’t see a lot of gap between the two right now.

Last edited:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I think given the slow start to Kakko's career with it starting to take off last season, there will be many votes for him (not to mention that he's a lottery pick who stands at around 6'3" as a power winger, so people would expect greater things from him). Don't sleep on Hoglander though, not many rookies have that mix of confidence (he and Svechnikov are the notable players who've pulled off the lacrosse move), work ethic (he hustles hard) and skill and I wouldn't be surprised if he became a clean, poor man's Brad Marchand.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What a homer take. Hoglander was significantly better in the NHL this year at the same age. Literally had double Kakko's 5v5 points

That's great and all but Kappo has a way better opportunity and skillset to play on the number one line for the NYR next year and Hogs is probably going to end up as a high energy elite 3rd liner in his career.

Reactions: Lays

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
What a homer take. Hoglander was significantly better in the NHL this year at the same age. Literally had double Kakko's 5v5 points
Kakko was one of the best defensive forwards in the league and had questionable usage. Slow powerforwards also tend to take a while before they breakout (Meier, Draisaitl, etc.)

Kakko has a much better toolset than Hoglander. His defensive game is already high end, especially stick checking, and he’s elite at puck protection already. Probably one of the hardest players in the league to knock off the puck at just 20 years old and went from teen to man this offseason. Also a proven winner as one of the only players to have 3 gold medals before their rookie NHL season. Watch for a big year. You’re crazy if you would genuinely take Hoglander over Kakko going forward

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
That's great and all but Kappo has a way better opportunity and skillset to play on the number one line for the NYR next year and Hogs is probably going to end up as a high energy elite 3rd liner in his career.

Weird take basically saying Hoglander will have zero improvements in his career and i'd argue he's already better than that at even strength (top 60 in 5v5 point)
Kakko was one of the best defensive forwards in the league and had questionable usage. Slow powerforwards also tend to take a while before they breakout (Meier, Draisaitl, etc.)

Kakko has a much better toolset than Hoglander. His defensive game is already high end, especially stick checking, and he’s elite at puck protection already. Probably one of the hardest players in the league to knock off the puck at just 20 years old and went from teen to man this offseason. Also a proven winner as one of the only players to have 3 gold medals before their rookie NHL season. Watch for a big year. You’re crazy if you would genuinely take Hoglander over Kakko going forward

"one of the best defensive forwards in the league" is a major exaggeration. The power forward excuse is one thrown around for big players underperforming. To say it's not close when Hoglander right now is a far better player is laughable.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Weird take basically saying Hoglander will have zero improvements in his career and i'd argue he's already better than that at even strength (top 60 in 5v5 point)

Yea, I don't understand that either. Statistically, he was very clearly a 2nd liner last year at 20 and his underlying numbers suggest it was sustainable. I'm not sure why he'd regress.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I thought Hoglander was better last year but Kakko has the potential to be better. I suppose I take Hoglander for now though, having watched both I find Hoglander more endearing.

Reactions: bh53

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

You basically watched 10 or so games of Hoglander (based on what you yourself said), and somehow conclude he will be a third liner. Thats a flawed view here.

Anyways I will go with Hoglander, who is already a second liner, and has shown to be better than Kakko.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Kakko has been such a disappointment but still can't bet against his upside.

Höglander was much better in the NHL than I expected this quickly, he wasn't really an impressive player in the SHL before going over. Still think there could be some struggles for him going forward.

AsparaGus

Feb 16, 2020
You basically watched 10 or so games of Hoglander (based on what you yourself said), and somehow conclude he will be a third liner. Thats a flawed view here.

Anyways I will go with Hoglander, who is already a second liner, and has shown to be better than Kakko.
Don’t be sensitive. Hog lander is and always will be a 3rd liner at best. I’m not the only one saying it. Lots of people share this view and they aren’t wrong.

This isn’t disrespectful. It’s a compliment for a player of that caliber to be considered a top 9 forward. He should consider himself lucky.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Kakko has been such a disappointment but still can't bet against his upside.

Höglander was much better in the NHL than I expected this quickly, he wasn't really an impressive player in the SHL before going over. Still think there could be some struggles for him going forward.

He seems to be better on smaller ice

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Don’t be sensitive. Hog lander is and always will be a 3rd liner at best. I’m not the only one saying it. Lots of people share this view and they aren’t wrong.

This isn’t disrespectful. It’s a compliment for a player of that caliber to be considered a top 9 forward. He should consider himself lucky.
Why is his upside only 3rd liner?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The stats kinda show that he played at a 3rd line role last year.

7th among forwards in total TOI and 6th among forwards in 5x5 TOI

Most reports have him slotted for the 3rd line this upcoming season as well.

Vancouver Canucks Depth Charts Roster and Line Projection - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Look he might end up playing some second line duty due to injuries I just project him as an elite 3rd liner for most of his career.

If I'm wrong that's a great problem for the Canucks right?

Kakko has a clearer path to top 6 MPG this season as well since the NYR moved out Buchnevich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad