Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t get how anyone could doubt Yamo’s potential right now based on everything he has shown since we drafted him. He has overcome this size issue at every level, learning to play against bigger guys isn’t anything new to him.

Will be interesting to see how he does in next few games here but so far, this is the second camp in a row now that he has shown he is NHL ready or close to it. I’m glad they sent him down last year. Ideally, they send him down this year too but he’s making it pretty damn difficult.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Yamamoto absolutely has Gaudreau level talent and his upside is just as high.

Actually it's higher as he's got more grit and a better defensive game than Gaudreau as well.

Let's not forget that Gaudreau didn't have his 1st full season until he turned 21... so we are looking at a much younger Yamamoto here than Gaudreau was when he played in the NHL.

Yamamoto has elite skills and is solid in his defensive play as well... already has a shortie in a preseason game as well so the coaches already trust him on the PK.

People can underrate Yamamoto all they want and call him small, undersized and a player that will never make it at the NHL level.

Yamamoto will have the last laugh when he puts up a long and successful career that makes people eat those words.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
I can't seem Yamamoto on the same line as Lucic. I think Yamamoto would do alot better on McDavid's line whenever Ty Rattie falls out of favor. Lets face it, it'll happen sooner or later. The Ty Ratties of the world is too good to be true.

Yamamoto can find sneaky open spots that's opened up by McDavid being who he is. He wouldn't have nearly has big of a target on his back and his skillset would benefit alot from having that extra space

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I can't seem Yamamoto on the same line as Lucic. I think Yamamoto would do alot better on McDavid's line whenever Ty Rattie falls out of favor. Lets face it, it'll happen sooner or later. The Ty Ratties of the world is too good to be true.

Yamamoto can find sneaky open spots that's opened up by McDavid being who he is. He wouldn't have nearly has big of a target on his back and his skillset would benefit alot from having that extra space
Don't agree about Ty Rattie. He's not a bad skater, has some skill, is smart, and most importantly, can finish.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Don't agree about Ty Rattie. He's not a bad skater, has some skill, is smart, and most importantly, can finish.

With all due repect, I don't think Rattie is getting any better. He's 25, been in the AHL for 4 years with minimal improvement. He fills a role now because he seemingly understand how to make use of McDavid's greatness, but I think both Yamamoto and Puljujärvi has a noticably higher ceiling

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
With all due repect, I don't think Rattie is getting any better. He's 25, been in the AHL for 4 years with minimal improvement. He fills a role now because he seemingly understand how to make use of McDavid's greatness, but I think both Yamamoto and Puljujärvi has a noticably higher ceiling
Fair enough. I agree that Yamamoto and Puljujarvi have higher ceilings, but McDavid doesn't need another skilled winger on his line. Rattie has chemistry with him and can finish, allowing Yamamoto and Puljujarvi to help out Draisaitl and the other lines.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ty Rattie could easily be one of those late bloomer players.

Reactions: Smart Alek

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
5ft8inches 153lbs. Pacific division.

People seriously want to put this guy up on topsix against Pacific Division murderers row?

Kailer afaik would be the smallest player in the entire NHL. People want to put him on a line with Draisaitl who works best with players that support possession? Even in preseason Kailer is getting bounced off the puck regularly. In regular season that would be even more of a problem.

The sad reality is this is no Johnny Gaudreau, and you need that level of talent to make the NHL at this paltry size.
Replacement this is always be your hang up, not his. If you're issue is he isn't taller or heavier, there's nothing that can be done about that.

If, Replacement, your issue is he's not good enough or competitive enough, you're just wrong.

Edit: Yes, people want to put him in the top-6 in the Pacific, because if you actually look at the make up of the roster, he's going to be a contributor, not the focal point, the focal points are WELL established in the Pacific Division (and in the league in general)

Reactions: nabob

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My favorite model of team is the LA Kings. This being no mystery to anybody. Small clubs don't win the SC, they don't, that hasn't changed. Caps were one of the biggest teams in the league last season. The favorites, Tampa, were on the small end.

What small team ever wins the cup. People act like everything has changed, but has it?

Lets not get ridiculous, I never liked Lucic particularly and wasn't a fan of him coming here. I like big guys that can get to pucks. Lucic is not that anymore. He wasn't when we got him.

The Kings won the same number of playoff games last year as we did — 0.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Not a big Lucic fan at all, but his bread and butter is playing crash, bang, and protect his smaller linemates. If he can get going at his former level I think he'd be fine working with Drai and Yamamoto (assuming the other two are playing well enough defensively).

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Replacement this is always be your hang up, not his. If you're issue is he isn't taller or heavier, there's nothing that can be done about that.

If, Replacement, your issue is he's not good enough or competitive enough, you're just wrong.

Edit: Yes, people want to put him in the top-6 in the Pacific, because if you actually look at the make up of the roster, he's going to be a contributor, not the focal point, the focal points are WELL established in the Pacific Division (and in the league in general)

Best to just keep him in the AHL and maybe after 10 years of HGH he’ll be big enough to play against men in the NHL instead of men in the AHL.

I can guarantee you he’ll win more puck battles in one season than Eberle and Gagner did in their career as Oilers. The kid is smart, strong and fearless. He’s been dealing with being the smallest guy on the ice his whole life, and has done fine. He’ll be fine at the NHL level too.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

People seriously want to put this guy up on topsix against Pacific Division murderers row?

Kailer afaik would be the smallest player in the entire NHL. People want to put him on a line with Draisaitl who works best with players that support possession? Even in preseason Kailer is getting bounced off the puck regularly. In regular season that would be even more of a problem.

The sad reality is this is no Johnny Gaudreau, and you need that level of talent to make the NHL at this paltry size.

Do you actually watch the games? Or are you just spewing random stuff because of your agenda?

If Kailer is getting bounced off the puck regularly, as you're describing, what does that make Reider? The latter hardly even goes after the puck to have possession in the first place.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Best to just keep him in the AHL and maybe after 10 years of HGH he’ll be big enough to play against men in the NHL instead of men in the AHL.

as long as that 10 year stint includes stretching him out on a table to make him taller.

Reactions: nabob

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
also why are we talking about the pacific like its 8 years ago,

vegas, arizona, vancouver, calgary, san jose, even anahiem are all getting smaller and faster each year

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
My favorite model of team is the LA Kings. This being no mystery to anybody. Small clubs don't win the SC, they don't, that hasn't changed. Caps were one of the biggest teams in the league last season. The favorites, Tampa, were on the small end.

Neither do unskilled teams. But we should first be worrying about making the playoffs, anyway.

That said, I'm skeptical as to whether or not Kailer is currently the best option for us. He had a good preseason last year too.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Let's also remember that Kailer scored two goals against Hellebuyck last night. That isn't some AHL scrub or junior level player - he had a .924 last season and 44 wins.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He owns preason, absolutely, but he has zero goals in the nhl as of yet.

Great potential. Is a great prospect, but that's all he is right now.

Reactions: Aerrol

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I mean, 9 games in his 18 year old season will do that.

He had a stupid amount of chances to score in those 9 games. Just unlucky. But, so was the whole team for the first 1-2 months last season while our goalies were letting in almost everything.

Wasn't a great time to make judgement on anyone really. Even McDavid was sick and our fearless media jumped on the chance to attack his defensive play.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Sure the kid can put up points.. but can we risk him getting crushed by Nurse again?
I kid... he deserves to be on the opening lineup. He's been much better than many of the regulars.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Lmao the Pacific murders row? Are you stuck in 2011 or something? The same Pacific murders row that Gaudreau carves up like dinner?

This narrative is so outdated, incorrect and boring

What small team ever wins the cup. People act like everything has changed, but has it?

Lets not get ridiculous, I never liked Lucic particularly and wasn't a fan of him coming here. I like big guys that can get to pucks. Lucic is not that anymore. He wasn't when we got him.

The Red Wings dominated with no big players, Hawks won 3 cups with one of the smaller line ups in the NHL. In fact, most teams that win the cup now have average size in the top 6. The Kings are one of the only teams to have a bigger than normal top 6 line up.

Its 2018 and people still try and push forward this hilarious narrative about size in the NHL. Whenever I see people push this narrative I immediately write them off (just as bad as the shoot people). But for it to continue to come from someone like you, who does use alot of rational evaluation when it comes to hockey is shocking. I guess the Don Cherry era of people will still hold on to outdated narratives

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
For sure.

Size isnt really the issue here though IMO. It has no merit in this version of the NHL provided the player has a high compete level, can skate and is a smart player. Yamamoto brings all of that and more IMO.

For 1 poster in particular (in this thread) this argument is all about Yamamoto taking a job away from Rieder which should happen based on what I have seen so far.

So really (as with a lot of dialogue on here) this argument is about favorite players...the size issue is a smokescreen.

IMO do whats best for the team. Right now that includes Yamamoto in the top 6.

Agree with everything EXCEPT Yamamoto in the top 6. I want to see more before I cement his spot in there. He's doing what we want to see so far though.

As well, I think down the line we should consider him with Strome and Khaira and bumping Pulju up to Drais line, but that's semantics to your main point.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Not following in this thread and the Yams one why Yams has to be as good as Gaudreau just to survive. Little guys need to play heads up all the time and know how to find open space. Yams has played against guys bigger than him for years already, and he is a very smart player. Give him some time before writing him off. I'm doubting he becomes as productive and a single line driver like Gaudreau, but he can still be a very good player and have a career in the NHL.

The Pacific isn't a murderers row anymore either. Almost all Pacific teams are moving to more speed and skill. The rest of the league already has been for years. We are one of the last teams to do it. Teams are more and more moving to D that play less physical and are primarily about puck moving, along with the NHL cracking down on dangerous hits more every year. The physical danger in the offense zone is dropping every year. And even with the danger there, if you have your head up and know what's around you, you are still hard to catch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad