Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He sure doesn't play very small. He has no fear of getting hit, going to the net and playing in the corners. I loved seeing him go hard against Big Buff last night... kid has alot of compete.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Do you actually watch the games? Or are you just spewing random stuff because of your agenda?

If Kailer is getting bounced off the puck regularly, as you're describing, what does that make Reider? The latter hardly even goes after the puck to have possession in the first place.

No agenda. People can dial up last year and even before this preseason and my comments on Kailer were uniformly positive. Just that its a year later and I find the player either the same or not quite as competitive. It could be a relation to the Oilers just having better wingers this season, guys like Brodz and Rieder who are already established NHL players.

People get really caught up on something I call happenchance (even scouts do) the reason Kailer buzz shot up last night is he scored 2 goals. But at this level I don't know that result will be any more regular than Cagg scoring some goals. Thing is Rieder has scored the same type of goals. One was a deflection, the other was a cross ice top in. Smart player, sure, and good reads, but sometimes circumstance just goes well for you. One game doesn't mean you've made the NHL or anything like that. I guess I'm seeing a lot of the comments presumptive and honesty if theres any agenda its that I would prefer not to see another runt playing with Draisaitl.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He sure doesn't play very small. He has no fear of getting hit, going to the net and playing in the corners. I loved seeing him go hard against Big Buff last night... kid has alot of compete.

No kidding. I'm not saying the kids a guaranteed NHL star or anything yet but what else can he do to prove he's ready for the show? He was charging one of the biggest, meanest, most notoriously physical defenders in the entire league last night. I'm sure Buff wasn't going full force or anything but that's not something you hold against Yamamoto, jeez. I'd at least let him continue to have the opportunity to fail before we send him down. (unless we're gonna play him 4th line/13th forward in which case I'd much rather he get big minutes in the AHL)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Gaudreau comps are a little too lofty IMO, I've always compared him to a grittier Eberle. He also knows where his own zone is unlike Eberle when he was this age. I know one thing, all of a sudden the depth on wing doesn't look so bad does it? Kailer and Jesse are ready to play this year.

Reactions: CornKicker

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The Gaudreau comps are a little too lofty IMO, I've always compared him to a grittier Eberle. He also knows where his own zone is unlike Eberle when he was this age. I know one thing, all of a sudden the depth on wing doesn't look so bad does it? Kailer and Jesse are ready to play this year.

I'll repeat my earlier statement but expand it to include both of them: we'll see. I'm not confident it carries into the regular season, but there's not much else they can do until that arrives anyway. Hopefully the first line hits the ground running so they have some sheltering to get going.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll repeat my earlier statement but expand it to include both of them: we'll see. I'm not confident it carries into the regular season, but there's not much else they can do until that arrives anyway. Hopefully the first line hits the ground running so they have some sheltering to get going.

For Jesse I am very confident. For Kailer I am a little better than 50/50 confident. If he makes it he needs to be playing in the top 9 or it's a waste of his talents.

Reactions: Aerrol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We might have more skill at RW than at C down the road ;)

That will be dependent on McLeod. IMO both positions look good for us long term. I don't think scoring will be an issue for us up front this season as long as Todd and co. aren't too stubborn to mix the 2nd line up a bit if it struggles.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
'He’s been tremendous': Kailer Yamamoto has earned his spot on the Oilers

Excerpt:

Internal competition is important. Obviously we weren’t good enough last year and if veteran players are going to get pushed out of the lineup that’s a good thing, although I don’t like to see anybody lose their job,” said the coach.

“The question is this: if somebody’s pushed out can the incoming players maintain their pace, their tenacity and their effectiveness in games. We’ve seen it with Yamo,” he said.

Has McLellan’s trust factor in the youngster gone up?

“I trusted him a lot last year and what we’re seeing is he’s a tremendous penalty-killer and smart on the power play. Those are two situations he can get some extra ice-time. Five-on-five when you look at scoring chances he may be the smallest guy on our team with the most touches around the blue-paint. He’s either very smart or he’s got a lot of tenacity in the paint who should be there,” said McLellan.

“His rookie camp was just average but maybe he was just anxious to get out with the NHL group. Since we’ve started camp, he’s been tremendous. He played left-wing tonight which was a test for him. He’s been a really good penalty-killer and it’s interesting that when you talk to the new coaches coming in (Glen Gulutzan, Trent Yawney, Manny Viveiros) Yamo continues to grow on them…the language they’re using is there’s no liability in his game,” said McLellan.

“He’s as good defensively as he is offensively
.”

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Anyone saying that Kailer doesn’t play a competitive game based on his play in camp and preseason while pumping Rieder’s tires needs to get their eyes checked. Looks like you’ve given up on riding Puljujarvi into the ground @Replacement and have found a new target to troll.

Reactions: PGW and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Eberle comparison came up to me in a different vogue. Keeping in mind Eberle is much more normative NHL size than Kailer is. But the comparison came because neither player is ideally suited to grit. In Kailers case just because of his size. If he wasn't 153lbs none of my statements are occurring. If he was even a somewhat more normal curve 165-180 range my comments aren't occurring. He's really tiny, he's also less skilled than Eberle by miles.

Eberle came up in my mind because we know how hard it is for players that don't prefer a grit game to play in this league. If you're suggesting that Kailer is somehow better or more effectively grittier than Eberle I wouldn't agree. Eberle had all kinds of verve early on here. Lets not forget he became more tentative after being belted and obliterated several times. He started to play less fearless. The NHL will do that to a lot of players. We've seen several examples here.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
He played LW last night?? Seemed to do pretty well. I wouldn't mind seeing a Yamamoto-Drai-Puljujarvi line.. that's a skilled offensive 2nd line that I can get behind

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Anyone saying that Kailer doesn’t play a competitive game based on his play in camp and preseason while pumping Rieder’s tires needs to get their eyes checked. Looks like you’ve given up on riding Puljujarvi into the ground @Replacement and have found a new target to troll.

That's kind of silly. I've seen Rieder play a 100 games easy, both NHL and international. I know what he can do. My comments regarding Kailer aren't even mostly due to him, I think he happens to be talented. His curse is that he's 153lbs. I haven't seen indication that he's good enough to overcome that at this level. The Likelihood for Kailer is a Europe or AHL career with some looks up top here in injury situations. I don't honestly think that he would be a lot more effective than Cagg.

hey if people want a bet on the smallest of 900 NHL players making it in the league and being a regular that's fine. The chances are not great. Even given our lineup. Kailer had a better chance to make the club last season when we had a weaker winger roster.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Eberle got paid and then became afraid of contact. Can’t ever remember him getting “belted”. We’ve seen KY get pasted a few times last year and this season. He bounces right back up. He’ll against Calgary he bounced up and scored a shortie right after. You’d have to obtuse to question Kailer’s intensity and compete level. Hell he went head to head with a monster last night, probably the toughest guy in the league and did just fine, scored twice as well. The kid’s been defying the odds his entire life.

MOD-Let's keep it civil and on the topic instead of on the poster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oilers'72

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's kind of silly. I've seen Rieder play a 100 games easy, both NHL and international. I know what he can do. My comments regarding Kailer aren't even mostly due to him, I think he happens to be talented. His curse is that he's 153lbs. I haven't seen indication that he's good enough to overcome that at this level. The Likelihood for Kailer is a Europe or AHL career with some looks up top here in injury situations. I don't honestly think that he would be a lot more effective than Cagg.

hey if people want a bet on the smallest of 900 NHL players making it in the league and being a regular that's fine. The chances are not great. Even given our lineup. Kailer had a better chance to make the club last season when we had a weaker winger roster.

Like I said pumping the tires of Rieder and now Caggulia in an attempt to detract from Yamamoto isn’t a very good look right now. But if that’s the hill you want to plant your flag on have fun.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Eberle got paid and then became afraid of contact. Can’t ever remember him getting “belted”. We’ve seen KY get pasted a few times last year and this season. He bounces right back up. He’ll against Calgary he bounced up and scored a shortie right after. You’d have to obtuse to question Kailer’s intensity and compete level. Hell he went head to head with a monster last night, probably the toughest guy in the league and did just fine, scored twice as well. The kid’s been defying the odds his entire life

Its preseason, It was preseason intensity. I don't draw a lot of conclusion from what occurs in preseason games. Probably nobody should.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Like I said pumping the tires of Rieder and now Caggulia in an attempt to detract from Yamamoto isn’t a very good look right now. But if that’s the hill you want to plant your flag on have fun.

lol, I detest Caggiulia, how am I "pumping his tires"?

Cagg is a useless scrub that shouldn't be in an NHL lineup and wouldn't be on better clubs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Eberle comparison came up to me in a different vogue. Keeping in mind Eberle is much more normative NHL size than Kailer is. But the comparison came because neither player is ideally suited to grit. In Kailers case just because of his size. If he wasn't 153lbs none of my statements are occurring. If he was even a somewhat more normal curve 165-180 range my comments aren't occurring. He's really tiny, he's also less skilled than Eberle by miles.

Eberle came up in my mind because we know how hard it is for players that don't prefer a grit game to play in this league. If you're suggesting that Kailer is somehow better or more effectively grittier than Eberle I wouldn't agree. Eberle had all kinds of verve early on here. Lets not forget he became more tentative after being belted and obliterated several times. He started to play less fearless. The NHL will do that to a lot of players. We've seen several examples here.

He is a far more complete player than Eberle was at the same age. Ever heard of the saying "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"? While there are limitations to that saying, Kailer plays bigger than he is and is strong for his size and will only get stronger. Paul Kariya wasn't a very big guy but he was strong on his skates.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Its preseason, It was preseason intensity. I don't draw a lot of conclusion from what occurs in preseason games. Probably nobody should.

Yeah Caggiula and Rieder are definitely playing with less than preseason intensity. Which actually says a lot considering they should be playing for their NHL lives.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He is a far more complete player than Eberle was at the same age. Ever heard of the saying "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"? While there are limitations to that saying, Kailer plays bigger than he is and is strong for his size and will only get stronger. Paul Kariya wasn't a very big guy but he was strong on his skates.

Well, I'll agree to disagree. This is totally revisionist. When Eberle got here he was nothing short of a Captain Canada and a Mr Clutch and he played a VERY in the paint game and used to buzz around the net and with much better finish and mitts than Kailer has. Eberle looked to be a potential elite scorer at this level. He's still a very good talent. Just that NHL physicality eventually influenced his game. It happens.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah Caggiula and Rieder are definitely playing with less than preseason intensity. Which actually says a lot considering they should be playing for their NHL lives.

If you actually think Rieder is playing for his NHL life. I don't know why you think that a good winger that has averaged 14 goals/season on a bad club and that has been a reasonable EV scorer is fighting for his NHL life on a team that lacks supportive wingers.

The Oilers had 3 players that exceeded Rieders career average goal scoring last season. Its not like we're loaded with topsix possibilities here. I assume Rieder makes the club. Think it would be a mistake if he somehow doesn't.

In anycase he's played 2 games. You evaluating on two games?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If you actually think Rieder is playing for his NHL life. I don't know why you think that a good winger that has averaged 14 goals/season on a bad club and that has been a reasonable EV scorer is fighting for his NHL life on a team that lacks supportive wingers.

The Oilers had 3 players that exceeded Rieders career average goal scoring last season. Its not like we're loaded with topsix possibilities here. I assume Rieder makes the club. Think it would be a mistake if he somehow doesn't.

Well he should be playing for his to 6 life at minimum. I haven't seen any bursts of his speed that I saw when he played against us in Arizona. You sure don't see our captain playing shinny out there so why in the **** should anyone be?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Yes I’m evaluating his effort off the sample size available. I have always been a supporter of the player, but his effort has been disappointing. Didn’t help that in the one game Draisaitl looked equally as disinterested I guess.

Preseason is short and there is a limited sample size to draw from. Assuming players will produce like they have at peak times in the past is a quick recipe for failure.

Anyway this thread is about Kailer and he has been one of the three most impressive wingers in preseason so far.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes I’m evaluating his effort off the sample size available. I have always been a supporter of the player, but his effort has been disappointing. Didn’t help that in the one game Draisaitl looked equally as disinterested I guess.

Preseason is short and there is a limited sample size to draw from. Assuming players will produce like they have at peak times in the past is a quick recipe for failure.

Anyway this thread is about Kailer and he has been one of the three most impressive wingers in preseason so far.

yeah, I agree that the first game, the only one Drai has played so far was bad. I was a bit disappointed but then remembered it probably doesn't mean anything. I do think Reider had solid 2nd, 3rd periods last night.

The only place we disagree is in thinking Rieder has a spot. My thinking is the team has told him as much. This was Chia's higher profile winger "get" this offseason. In Chia world he's making the club. But he's a good player.

Anyway, that is enough of that rabbit trail.

What we can all be happy about is the winger depth is better this season and the Oilers seem to be doing a better job of picking prospects. A lot of these guys can play. Kailer can too, I just so much wish he was bigger.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Agree with everything EXCEPT Yamamoto in the top 6. I want to see more before I cement his spot in there. He's doing what we want to see so far though.

As well, I think down the line we should consider him with Strome and Khaira and bumping Pulju up to Drais line, but that's semantics to your main point.

The main difference (aside from size) between Yamaotos game and Puljujarvis game for me is refinement. Yamamotos game is more refined than Jesses. So based on that I can see Kailer in a top 6 role before Jesse.
Doesnt mean his ceiling is higher than Jesses....it just means he is a better fit at this point in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad