Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Neither of Lucic or Drai are at their best right now and while I missed most of the game tonight I'm wondering if they should give this line 1 last try or just send Kailer down so that he gains more confidence at the pro level so that he doesn't defer to Drai so much?

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Calgary game will be interesting. I still think he’s likely to make the team to start but wonder if he’s better suited for a more sheltered role. Maybe swap Yams and Puju or Rieder and see if that helps Yamamoto’s game a bit, he won’t defer to anyone as much that way either.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I suspect he gets sent down today.
One would hope. We're relatively loaded with bottom six guys and Kailer hasn't exactly shown he'll be a reasonably productive top six forward out of the gate. Similar to how Nashville sent down Tolvanen, Kailer should start the year down in A so he can start producing right off the bat.

He's a guy were going to have to be careful with. There's a high level of talent there, but he's 160lbs. Give him some time to figure it out.

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yep definitely draisaitls fault that Yamamoto lost every puck battle and gave the puck away every time it was on his stick.

If Drai was playing like Drai could do you not believe it would have benefited Yamamoto? @Drivesaitl can spend the entire GDT blaming all of Drai’s lackluster play on his linemates, but at least Yamamoto was trying out there, probably trying to do too much.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'd actually be surprised if he's sent down today, I think it would've happened by now if that were the Oilers intention.

Assuming that the Oilers sign Chiasson to a contract and that either one of Caggiula or Aberg are going to be gone soon, even with Yamamoto on the roster that puts the Oilers at 14 forwards.

Now if the Oilers decide to go with 8 dmen instead of the usual 7 because they want to keep either both of Bouchard and Bear or both of Jerabek and Garrison (assuming he gets signed), then that might mean that Yamamoto will get squeezed out and sent back to Bakersfield...at least for now.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just a week ago I was saying that Kailer would not be a fit for Draisaitl even though most of the board felt he would automatically be. I couldn't understand why people thought that or why they do now. This config isn't going to work. Putting the smallest player in the league with Drai detracts from Drai's own puck driving, puck battles, and physical strength. It detracs from the p0wer forward things that make him successful.

Last night was the first exhibition game that approximate NHL D. Throw any kind of D pressure or blanket on Yama and he's done. Maybe in the future, but he's not ready for this now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If Drai was playing like Drai could do you not believe it would have benefited Yamamoto? @Drivesaitl can spend the entire GDT blaming all of Drai’s lackluster play on his linemates, but at least Yamamoto was trying out there, probably trying to do too much.
Yep, draisaitls fault.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Calgary game will be interesting. I still think he’s likely to make the team to start but wonder if he’s better suited for a more sheltered role. Maybe swap Yams and Puju or Rieder and see if that helps Yamamoto’s game a bit, he won’t defer to anyone as much that way either.

Yep. One of my chief concerns is that we can`t start out Yama in topsix in the NHL, in the pacific division. That just isn`t going to work well.

But the issue isn`t whether he defers its that he doesn`t support Draisaitls style of offensive creation.

Drai is a Euro player, so he plays the game differently than a lot of NA players would. Kailer doesn`t seem to be on that dial. Strome plays more of a straight forward game, that would make more sense for Kailer.
In a Drai line you want Drai having the puck. But Strome could also use more help in puck handling. Kailer might fit better there.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Just a week ago I was saying that Kailer would not be a fit for Draisaitl even though most of the board felt he would automatically be. I couldn't understand why people thought that or why they do now. This config isn't going to work. Putting the smallest player in the league with Drai detracts from Drai's own puck driving, puck battles, and physical strength. It detracs from the p0wer forward things that make him successful.

Last night was the first exhibition game that approximate NHL D. Throw any kind of D pressure or blanket on Yama and he's done. Maybe in the future, but he's not ready for this now.

You have mentioned how small Yamo is about 50 times. Sure, clearly is an issue, but we are in a league with Debricat, Gadreau, ect. many small players that not only play they excel.

I think you will be proven wrong this year. I think Yamo has a great season, but lets just sit back and watch.

ps, Yamo should be fine with Drai, I think in many ways it is a great combo. Drai has been awful all preseason. I really hope he wakes up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You have mentioned how small Yamo is about 50 times. Sure, clearly is an issue, but we are in a league with Debricat, Gadreau, ect. many small players that not only play they excel.

I think you will be proven wrong this year. I think Yamo has a great season, but lets just sit back and watch.

ps, Yamo should be fine with Drai, I think in many ways it is a great combo. Drai has been awful all preseason. I really hope he wakes up.

Why would you think it a great combo, and why would you think I wouldn't have any idea what nature of player Draisaitl would work best with.

Kailer has never to my eyes been a strong transition player. He's an opportunist in offensive zone. Not sure if you're noticing but the line is breaking down in two ways;

1) Most shifts Yotes just loaded pressure on Drai in NZ and made it difficult for him to move up ice.
2) When the line did gain opposition zone all players on the line were coughing up the puck but Drai was being double teamed at times. he was getting pressure on that line because Yotes schemed specifically for him on that line. Basically you shut down Drai on that line and there isn't much else.

Alternately Kailer has not figured out how to transition puck up ice in this league. its a constant struggle for him. He works his magic in opposition end. The trouble is with the combo of Looch and Kailer this means that teams know Drai will be the transition guy every time and that the other guys can't. That makes it way too easy to shut down.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Why would you think it a great combo, and why would you think I wouldn't have any idea what nature of player Draisaitl would work best with.

Kailer has never to my eyes been a strong transition player. He's an opportunist in offensive zone. Not sure if you're noticing but the line is breaking down in two ways;

1) Most shifts Yotes just loaded pressure on Drai in NZ and made it difficult for him to move up ice.
2) When the line did gain opposition zone all players on the line were coughing up the puck but Drai was being double teamed at times. he was getting pressure on that line because Yotes schemed specifically for him on that line. Basically you shut down Drai on that line and there isn't much else.

Alternately Kailer has not figured out how to transition puck up ice in this league. its a constant struggle for him. He works his magic in opposition end. The trouble is with the combo of Looch and Kailer this means that teams know Drai will be the transition guy every time and that the other guys can't. That makes it way too easy to shut down.
Its probably easier if you start saying who is a fit for Draisaitl instead of who's not. I think the honest assessment right now is, Draisaitl is nowhere close to being on his game, never mind what others are doing. He has been bad 5 on 5 and PP, playing mostly giveaway hockey. There is no need to panic at all yet, but its pointless blaming every other player.

Reactions: nabob

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
as soon as drai and lucic understand yams tendancies with the puck they can anticipate better and get open. the kids a hell of a playmaker and pairing him with Drai will end up paying off. let them learn each others games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
as soon as drai and lucic understand yams tendancies with the puck they can anticipate better and get open. the kids a hell of a playmaker and pairing him with Drai will end up paying off. let them learn each others games.

So its up to one of the star players in the NHL to understand some kids game, and defer to that, instead of playing a game that has netted him 150 NHL pts in the last 2 seasons. That has to be the strangest take I've seen. That pro players should defer to the rookie.

Its odd as well the statement that Kailer is a helluva play maker. Drai saw 1 good pass from his line all night. Mostly they were just giving the puck away.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
So its up to one of the star players in the NHL to understand some kids game, and defer to that, instead of playing a game that has netted him 150 NHL pts in the last 2 seasons. That has to be the strangest take I've seen. That pro players should defer to the rookie.

Its odd as well the statement that Kailer is a helluva play maker. Drai saw 1 good pass from his line all night. Mostly they were just giving the puck away.

The problem is, and I think your really missing this, is our wingers are not that good. What other good options are there? We are asking McD to play with a guy who has always been a AHL player and a natural C. We don't have great options on the wing so Drai is going to have to deal with some one not ideal. I mean Lucic looks like a AHL player now. Jesse is in the same boat as Yamo. Rieder seems like the obvious choice, but has never proven himself as a top 6 guy. Point is the pickings are slim for wingers on this team. So Drai is going to have to learn to adjust to some one.

Dare I say this, but an ideal winger at face value for a guy like Drai would have been Hall........ oh well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The problem is, and I think your really missing this, is our wingers are not that good. What other good options are there? We are asking McD to play with a guy who has always been a AHL player and a natural C. We don't have great options on the wing so Drai is going to have to deal with some one not ideal. I mean Lucic looks like a AHL player now. Jesse is in the same boat as Yamo. Rieder seems like the obvious choice, but has never proven himself as a top 6 guy. Point is the pickings are slim for wingers on this team. So Drai is going to have to learn to adjust to some one.

Dare I say this, but an ideal winger at face value for a guy like Drai would have been Hall........ oh well.

You just made me cry...;)

heh. But Rieder would work fine with Drai, always has, not sure why people here assume it wouldn`t work. Pulju is developing his game such that he`s getting ready for 2nd line challenges as well. Right now the org wants to keep Pulju away from shutdown pairs and tight checking. They want him seeing easier minutes on 3rd line.

tbh, and this might sound crazy, I would rather see an actual live Brodziak playing with Drai on a 2nd line than a dead bounce Lucic. its crazy right now how much Looch does not even resemble an NHL player.

Reactions: Aerrol

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
You just made me cry...;)

heh. But Rieder would work fine with Drai, always has, not sure why people here assume it wouldn`t work. Pulju is developing his game such that he`s getting ready for 2nd line challenges as well. Right now the org wants to keep Pulju away from shutdown pairs and tight checking. They want him seeing easier minutes on 3rd line.

tbh, and this might sound crazy, I would rather see an actual live Brodziak playing with Drai on a 2nd line than a dead bounce Lucic. its crazy right now how much Looch does not even resemble an NHL player.

It is sad. As every game goes by I am convinced he isn't even a NHL player any more. I think he ends up on the 4th line. He would solve so much if we could rely on him to be the player he once was. I think its a combo of him slowing down a bit and the NHL speeding up, but man he just seems so far behind right now.

Hopefully he proves me wrong.

So who do you want to see Drai with. Reider and ? Personally I like

Reider Drai Pulj

But I agree, I think they want Pulj on the 3rd line.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I'd like to see Yama play one game with Drai and not Lucic before we make any final decision on him. He looked fine all preseason until that line was put together, in which all three players havent looked great together.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd like to see Yama play one game with Drai and not Lucic before we make any final decision on him. He looked fine all preseason until that line was put together, in which all three players havent looked great together.

Yama looked awful in the Prospects games. He wasn't even one of the better players in those games and he started nearly every one of them. In reality he's looked good in 2 preason games and certainly not all preseason.

Its also overstated how Yama has been this preseason. I actually thought he did better, and was more consistently noticeable in last seasons preseason. His play really moved me then. It hasn't as much this preseason. Even in the game he got two goals in he was fairly quiet for most of it. Gets a deflection goal, then a very late tip in goal on a brilliant Nurse rush. But last season Kailer was consistently creating in his shifts. Just not seeing much of that this preseason. Not enough.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Yama looked awful in the Prospects games. He wasn't even one of the better players in those games and he started nearly every one of them. In reality he's looked good in 2 preason games and certainly not all preseason.

Its also overstated how Yama has been this preseason. I actually thought he did better, and was more consistently noticeable in last seasons preseason. His play really moved me then. It hasn't as much this preseason. Even in the game he got two goals in he was fairly quiet for most of it. Gets a deflection goal, then a very late tip in goal on a brilliant Nurse rush. But last season Kailer was consistently creating in his shifts. Just not seeing much of that this preseason. Not enough.

I don't read to much into how Yama looked in the prospect games, overall the team didn't look great.

If you think Lucic is that big of a detriment to the Draisaitl line, then I think Yamamoto deserves the same benefit of doubt, because he looked fine all preseason until being put on that line. You seem to have endless time for guys like Rieder who is being given every opportunity and has been underwhelming 5 on 5 to say the least, but no time for Yamamoto who has better this preseason.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't read to much into how Yama looked in the prospect games, overall the team didn't look great.

If you think Lucic is that big of a detriment to the Draisaitl line, then I think Yamamoto deserves the same benefit of doubt, because he looked fine all preseason until being put on that line. You seem to have endless time for guys like Rieder who is being given every opportunity and has been underwhelming 5 on 5 to say the least, but no time for Yamamoto who has better this preseason.

Rieder is an actual NHL player, a winger, and a good one, and what the Oilers need more of. It shouldn't be hard to follow why I would prefer Rieder on the Draisaitl line given the two are very familiar with each other, enjoy playing with each other, and have done it a lot.

On the other hand I have no idea why people would so consistently obfuscate against that most likely of combos occurring.

In what way has Rieder been given "endless opportunity. He's played 3 games, 1 with Drai. Only one, his first game.

Again, Yama has not looked fine "all preseason" and the prospects team was actually quite good with Caleb Jones, Bouchard, Benson having strong runs. It seems as if you didn't even watch those games. Yama was pretty much invisible in those games.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Rieder is an actual NHL player, a winger, and a good one, and what the Oilers need more of. It shouldn't be hard to follow why I would prefer Rieder on the Draisaitl line given the two are very familiar with each other, enjoy playing with each other, and have done it a lot.

On the other hand I have no idea why people would so consistently obfuscate against that most likely of combos occurring.

In what way has Rieder been given "endless opportunity. He's played 3 games, 1 with Drai. Only one, his first game.

Again, Yama has not looked fine "all preseason" and the prospects team was actually quite good with Caleb Jones, Bouchard, Benson having strong runs. It seems as if you didn't even watch those games. Yama was pretty much invisible in those games.

Rieder has played with 3 different combination of players and has been the worst one on the line 5 on 5 every game. Yes hes a good nhl player, in a bottom 6 role.

Yama was great the first two preseason games, hence why he was given the opportunity to play on the 2nd line afterwards. Has he looked great on the second line for those two games, no, but neither has Draisaitl or Lucic as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rieder has played with 3 different combination of players and has been the worst one on the line 5 on 5 every game. Yes hes a good nhl player, in a bottom 6 role.

Yama was great the first two preseason games, hence why he was given the opportunity to play on the 2nd line afterwards. Has he looked great on the second line for those two games, no, but neither has Draisaitl or Lucic as well.

As we have this conversation Rieder has been tapped on the shoulder to replace Rattie, injured, on the Oilers top line.

Your bolded is your view. its not supported by the players play, or even the orgs view of the players play. Rieder has played 2 solid games since being here and was quite good yesterday. Arguably the best Oiler on the night outside the first line.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
As we have this conversation Rieder has been tapped on the shoulder to replace Rattie, injured, on the Oilers top line.

Your bolded is your view. its not supported by the players play, or even the orgs view of the players play. Rieder has played 2 solid games since being here and was quite good yesterday. Arguably the best Oiler on the night outside the first line.

If anything Rieder being put on the first line supports my opinion, I mean the guy hasn't looked good on the 2nd or third line, might as well see if McDavid can get something out of him 5 on 5. You'd think if the Oilers were concerned about Yama's play so far and were planning to send him down after last night they'd throw him on that line and see what Rieder could do in a spot where he will actually play once the season starts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad