Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
that's the way it should be, never ban fighting but it's okay that it's more rare
I dunno. Some of those fight filled games were very entertaining.

Remember Mike Bishai throwing punches from the other team's bench? Conklin getting booted and the Oilers had to play the last few minutes with no goalie.

Some of those fights made 5-1 games in midseason watchable in the third. There isn't anything to stay tuned in for anymore.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
This guy needs to be on the opening day roster. I hope he can make Lucic look useful again 5v5.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I dunno. Some of those fight filled games were very entertaining.

Remember Mike Bishai throwing punches from the other team's bench? Conklin getting booted and the Oilers had to play the last few minutes with no goalie.

Some of those fights made 5-1 games in midseason watchable in the third. There isn't anything to stay tuned in for anymore.

It was the other way around.. Adam Oates still didn't have a goal on the season so they had him out there late trying to get him his goal. Didn't work haha.

Reactions: Del Preston

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
This may be a dumb question but I'm what some Oil brass would consider a Tier 2 Oilers fan. Anyway, if Yamamoto gets the opportunity to play the full season us he eligible for the Calder?

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
I disagree that this a player who "plays bigger than his size". His strengths are pursuing the puck, being hard on the puck, and decreasing gaps. All these things appear to be because of his size, not in spite of his size. I don't see him actively taking the body on a regular basis.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He was terrible in the rookie camp. Bad in everyway. Looker lije he was trying his hardest and got nothing done.

He has been great this preseason. I especially like his two way game and Penalty killing. Was not expecting that.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
How long of a leash do you think lucic gets on the first two lines if he keeps killing plays like last season. I feel like we have a few guys who would work better on drai’s wig than him

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
At this point I'd have him in the starting lineup, with room for that to change if Rieder, Caggiula, Kassian etc. ramp it up to end the preseason. Its nice having AHL as an option with him because if he tails off he's still a call up option later in the year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
At this point I'd have him in the starting lineup, with room for that to change if Rieder, Caggiula, Kassian etc. ramp it up to end the preseason. Its nice having AHL as an option with him because if he tails off he's still a call up option later in the year.
I guess, it's better to have a player putting up his performance earn a spot in the top-6, the level at which he's clearly playing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yama has had a couple good games, other than that not much to show for his 10 games including prospects games.

This was the first game where the Oilers were facing even a facsimile of what NHL D looks like and he can't create. He's SOOOOO easy to bump off the puck. To the point where you can't even pass to him in NZ.

Yama works well in loose checking games where somebody might bite on dangles. All you have to do is skate into him and just take the puck. He's real tiny.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Yamo should go to Bakersfield. I’ve 180ed these last two games. As the competition gets more NHLish he’s disappeared. He needs more time.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yamamoto has been our 4th best winger this preseason. He deserves a top 9 spot.
That's not how things go especially when contracts and waivers eligibility is factored in.
Having said that, it's time to put our top 4 wingers in top 6.

Yamamoto-Drai-Pulju should be given a shot

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yama has had a couple good games, other than that not much to show for his 10 games including prospects games.

This was the first game where the Oilers were facing even a facsimile of what NHL D looks like and he can't create. He's SOOOOO easy to bump off the puck. To the point where you can't even pass to him in NZ.

Yama works well in loose checking games where somebody might bite on dangles. All you have to do is skate into him and just take the puck. He's real tiny.
There are a lot of tiny players who are very effective in NHL. What is size doing for Lucic and Draisaitl this preseason?
Yama is destined for AHL but one way contracts of Aberg, Caggiula,Rieder and Kassian have more to do with it than Yamamoto's size.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Pretty quiet the last couple of games imo. Looks like he's having the same issue as last season. As the competition has ramped up he's falling behind.
Should factor in the opponent's style of play and the form of his line mates. Not many forwards stood out tonight for the Oil. McDavid and maybe Puljujarvi were the only 2 who didn't have bad moments.

Reactions: PulYou

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How long of a leash do you think lucic gets on the first two lines if he keeps killing plays like last season. I feel like we have a few guys who would work better on drai’s wig than him

Todd and Peter will go down with that ship like the violinists from Titanic.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There are a lot of tiny players who are very effective in NHL. What is size doing for Lucic and Draisaitl this preseason?
Yama is destined for AHL but one way contracts of Aberg, Caggiula,Rieder and Kassian have more to do with it than Yamamoto's size.

Yama @ 153lbs is the lightest player in the entire league and looks every bit like it. All a player has to do is step into him anywhere and you got the puck off him. This happened several times again tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad