Kaigorodov suspended by Sens...going back to Russia

St.Louis sports fan

Mar 1, 2002
St. Louis
Visit site
The Blues are going through much the same mess with Alexei Shkotov although he never really made it to North America this season. He seems to have no desire actually win a spot in the NHL through his play in the minors. Look on the bright side Sens fans at least you get to see what the guys made of and just cut bait on him.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
That's the risk when drafting russians. Unless there's a AO/Malkin -type of talent available, I don't want my team (Ducks) to draft a single russian player.

That's why the Sharks have avoided drafting a Russian since Zyuzin (2nd overall 1996) and his mystery departure to Russia back in 2000. For better or for worse, I don't think they want to deal with the heartache of bringing them over and keeping them happy. Sharks' MO with regards to drafting Euros has been Czechs and Slovaks who are more willing to come over at a young age or Germans who play in an North American-style league (though they deviated from that pipeline the past few years). Although the lack of a European scout (hired Pelle Eklund this summer), might attribute to the lack of willingness.

That said, bummer that Kaigs wasn't given the shot to prove his NHL talent and it will be interesting to see how teams will welcome players like this back...if at all.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Is it just me, or does anyone else distinctly remember that when Kaigorodov came over, it was widely reported (as in quotes from many of the involved parties) that the deal was Kaigorodov would either be playing for the Senators or returned to his Russian team, and this was the reason no fuss was raised at all over transfer fees? It seems that it's the Senators who are trying to break a previously formed agreement here.
Might as well try and send him down and see if he's changed his mind.

The Penguins had such an agreement with Libor Pivko. But when he didn't make the team, they still sent him down to Wilkes-Barre anyway and gave him the option to report.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Not a surprise......

Good Riddance.

His contract should count against the cap.
So maybe teams would learn drafting better, and stop those stupid offers that comes with a promise of a interesting role.

And for Kaigs, no one forced him to come across the Atlantic. If he didn't fit, too bad for him.

With the salaries being paid to Russians in the RSL now, it's not a surprise to see Russians remain there unless they are going to be top 4 dmen or top 6 forwards in the NHL, as the salaries are pretty close (the per game pay is about the same, since the RSL plays like 50 games a year versus the 82 in the NHL).

If the kid didn't make the Sens, not surprised he wants to go back to Russia. Financially, it's a hit for him to go to the AHL to make 5 figures versus what, about $500K+ US back in Russia?

Complaining Customer

Aug 23, 2005
Go back to Russia, you *******. You'll never amount to anything.

Your life story must be so great and full of international success... Or wait... You wouldn't be just a small and bitter man using the Internet to insult and criticize people you're most probably jealous of, would you?

Roy G Biv*

With the salaries being paid to Russians in the RSL now, it's not a surprise to see Russians remain there unless they are going to be top 4 dmen or top 6 forwards in the NHL, as the salaries are pretty close (the per game pay is about the same, since the RSL plays like 50 games a year versus the 82 in the NHL).

If the kid didn't make the Sens, not surprised he wants to go back to Russia. Financially, it's a hit for him to go to the AHL to make 5 figures versus what, about $500K+ US back in Russia?

The problem with this POV is that he'd probably maximize his earnings by playing in the AHL. He would have only been there until traded, or called up; I'm guessing this wouldn't be too long.

A few games in the AHL could have ensured him an NHL salary (rookie max) for a few years, and maybe even more (if he signs another contract).

timmy12

Jun 25, 2005
He is under a valid contract in the NHL and he ran out on it to play in Russia. This is pure sports terrorism!!!!

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
That's not the point, the agreement wasn't with Kaigorodov, it was with his team in order to secure his release with no hassles or transfer fee arguments.
Where's the harm in trying? I mean, its pretty hard to maneuver around a transfer agreement that doesn't exist. Besides, how do we really know there wasn't an actual agreement with the player? I know that this Velichkin claimed he was allowed to leave with no hassles because this guy would either play in Ottawa or return home, but isn't it possible that was because Velichkin was aware of such an agreement made between Ottawa and Kaigorodov? Because as far as I know, the NHL forbade teams from negotiating with Russian clubs and forming agreements over transfers.

He didn't report and went back anyway, its not a big deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad