Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I hear this a lot. Name the 1D that doesn’t QB a PP.
The 3 I mentioned were all top pairing guys who didn't QB a PP, but if that's not enough how about Pietrangelo since the QB for Vegas is Theodore. Or Slavin for Carolina.

Or how about a guy like Owen Powers, a stud #1OA pick whose unlikely to be the teams PP QB because Dahlin will be filling that role.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I hear this a lot. Name the 1D that doesn’t QB a PP.
Shea Weber. PK Subban. Mark Giordano. Victor Hedman. Zdeno Chara. Just recent Norris winners/finalists. Playing on the first wave of the PP doesn't mean you're the QB. Markov was always the guy running the show with Subban. Kucherov is the guy who runs Tampa's PP. Chara never ran a PP in his life. Kaberle ran Toronto's PP for years and had a few 50+ point seasons yet was never a 1D at any point. Morgan Rielly now the same. QBing a PP is a strange condition to add given historically there are tons of examples of not just 1D's, but Norris winners who didn't do it.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Shea Weber. PK Subban. Mark Giordano. Victor Hedman. Zdeno Chara. Just recent Norris winners/finalists. Playing on the first wave of the PP doesn't mean you're the QB. Markov was always the guy running the show with Subban. Kucherov is the guy who runs Tampa's PP. Chara never ran a PP in his life. Kaberle ran Toronto's PP for years and had a few 50+ point seasons yet was never a 1D at any point. Morgan Rielly now the same. QBing a PP is a strange condition to add given historically there are tons of examples of not just 1D's, but Norris winners who didn't do it.
Ok semantics aside. Guhle should never be on the pp.. Nevermind qbing it.

The 3 I mentioned were all top pairing guys who didn't QB a PP, but if that's not enough how about Pietrangelo since the QB for Vegas is Theodore. Or Slavin for Carolina.

Or how about a guy like Owen Powers, a stud #1OA pick whose unlikely to be the teams PP QB because Dahlin will be filling that role.
Those guys all see pp time. Guhle will never be a staple on the PP. Nor should he be.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Those guys all see pp time. Guhle will never be a staple on the PP. Nor should he be.
Guhle won't be on the PP because we run four forwards despite the fourth forward not contributing anything all year. Literally the highest scoring fourth forward is Gally at 3 points, then Slaf at 2. We should have moved to three-two as soon as Dach went down. Xhekaj, Guhle, or Barron would all bring more to the PP than Gally, early season Slaf, Anderson, etc.

Then Hutson and Mailloux bring offensive abilities as their main, and only on Mailloux's case, attributes and will never be close to Guhle defensively, so naturally they will eat PP time when they get to the NHL.

This is one area Marty has been bad, the PP hasn't been great and he hasn't even tried to shake things up. He's moved Guhle into a box as a 21 year old. His ES production has been enough to warrant an attempt to see what he can bring to the PP. Barron has been handed a lot more offensive opportunities and is a measly one point ahead of Guhle which was a single PP point with 54 minutes of PP time. Granted it's second wave time with a bunch of scrub forwards.

I wouldn't discount Guhle when one, he's younger than the rest of our D, and two, he's never been given a single opportunity on the PP.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Guhle won't be on the PP because we run four forwards despite the fourth forward not contributing anything all year. Literally the highest scoring fourth forward is Gally at 3 points, then Slaf at 2. We should have moved to three-two as soon as Dach went down. Xhekaj, Guhle, or Barron would all bring more to the PP than Gally, early season Slaf, Anderson, etc.

Then Hutson and Mailloux bring offensive abilities as their main, and only on Mailloux's case, attributes and will never be close to Guhle defensively, so naturally they will eat PP time when they get to the NHL.

This is one area Marty has been bad, the PP hasn't been great and he hasn't even tried to shake things up. He's moved Guhle into a box as a 21 year old. His ES production has been enough to warrant an attempt to see what he can bring to the PP. Barron has been handed a lot more offensive opportunities and is a measly one point ahead of Guhle which was a single PP point with 54 minutes of PP time. Granted it's second wave time with a bunch of scrub forwards.

I wouldn't discount Guhle when one, he's younger than the rest of our D, and two, he's never been given a single opportunity on the PP.
Guhle won’t be on the PP because he doesn’t have the offensive acumen for it. If he had the skills he would see time. He doesn’t.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He QBd the power play for years in the minors.

And no he won’t be Subban - he was a HOF quality player in his prime - nor will he be Markov. But he’ll be steady. Put up around 45-50 points and the only reason he may not QB the PP will be that we’ve got Hutson on the way up.

Stylistically he’ll be more Chelios than either Subban or Markov. He’ll of course be far less physical than Chelios but stylistically similar with and without the puck. More steady with less flash. Defensively: Better in his own end than Markov and less mistake prone than Subban.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

They didn't all see time on the PP as rookies/sophmores though. Guhle is good enough to be a secondary PP guy.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He QBd the power play for years in the minors.

And no he won’t be Subban - he was a HOF quality player in his prime - nor will he be Markov. But he’ll be steady. Put up around 45-50 points and the only reason he may not QB the PP will be that we’ve got Hutson on the way up.

Stylistically he’ll be more Chelios than either Subban or Markov. He’ll of course be far less physical than Chelios but stylistically similar with and without the puck. More steady with less flash. Defensively: Better in his own end than Markov and less mistake prone than Subban.
I like the player, let’s agree to diasgree on the impact he will have. I don’t think he’s better than Markov defensively either, Markov was very underrated in that regard.

I see him as a solid second pair guy that can slot up into the first pair for short stint. I don’t think he’s an ideal first pairing dman. He can probably play there if he has an elite partner.

I think he is by far our most overrated prospect,

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I like the player, let’s agree to diasgree on the impact he will have. I don’t think he’s better than Markov defensively either, Markov was very underrated in that regard.
Markov made great transition passes out of the zone. Sublime in that respect. But he wasn’t very good in his own end. His underlying numbers didn’t support him being good defensively either. Ghule will be much more physical, much better at clearing the crease.

I see him as a solid second pair guy that can slot up into the first pair for short stint. I don’t think he’s an ideal first pairing dman. He can probably play there if he has an elite partner.

I think he is by far our most overrated prospect,
We’ll see. He played a terrific game against McDavid tonight.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He's a beauty. Can't think of many guy, especially his age, that can play effectively against McDavid.
The thing that has me scratching my head is what we saw tonight IS Guhle's game.
Not the Guhle trying to be be the physical beast we see in most games.
His defending was all about position skating and a good stick. On his weak side to boot.
I don't know what kind of advice he's getting but I would hope the staff recognizes and stresses this.

Reactions: Andrei79

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He’s gonna be really good.

Just wish he would not turn as much vanilla as he is. To be the punishing style of play he was playing in junior. More often then not he is the one getting punished. Last night Hyman hit Monty two times on the same shift and Guhle is right there beside him. He did nothing and almost helped Hyman get back on his feet. Comon man. We don’t want you to turn into the next Petry.

Get him on a bulking regime next summer ffs.

rik schau

It'll get ya where ya wanna go.........eventually.
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
He was caught flat footed more than once in recent games but the blame isn't completely on him.
The neutral zone is a freeway with Marty's position free game. Sooner or later it's going to have to be addressed. We rarely stand up at any line.
We also use none of the body contact other teams employ against us to slow players down.
Flatfooted is one thing but specifically pertaining to when he's in backward motion he changes his momentum trying to poke the puck away and you know that goes, you get walked. Happens to best from time to time but I still hate seeing that, as it's so easy to avoid.

Not going down that rabbit hole with the staff, it would be bottomless. lol

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Guhle won’t be on the PP because he doesn’t have the offensive acumen for it. If he had the skills he would see time. He doesn’t.

Which is fine. Guhle is a good player, regardless.

We don't have great option for the PP dman on the big roster for now. Hopefully the answer is on the farm though.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Guhle played great on right side. Noticed in Colorado game he was fast enough to deal with the McKinnon line. Which is one of best lines in hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad