Player Discussion Kaiden Guhle

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Have you not noticed? go look at the last few games where he has played some of the one on ones terribly. Not the end of the world however, he's young and still raw-ish. Even Norris trophy winners have had moments like that. Not every player plays an A game all the time and will get called out on that. To simply put any player on a pedestal and disregard flaws is a flaw. Praise when good, criticize when bad.
Of course you will always find in abundance a plethora of individuals that rag on a player unjustifiably and relentlessly and blow smoke up others.
You can read commentary to this in the PGT's.
He was caught flat footed more than once in recent games but the blame isn't completely on him.
The neutral zone is a freeway with Marty's position free game. Sooner or later it's going to have to be addressed. We rarely stand up at any line.
We also use none of the body contact other teams employ against us to slow players down.

Reactions: jrom

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Have you not noticed? go look at the last few games where he has played some of the one on ones terribly. Not the end of the world however, he's young and still raw-ish. Even Norris trophy winners have had moments like that. Not every player plays an A game all the time and will get called out on that. To simply put any player on a pedestal and disregard flaws is a flaw. Praise when good, criticize when bad.
Of course you will always find in abundance a plethora of individuals that rag on a player unjustifiably and relentlessly and blow smoke up others.
You can read commentary to this in the PGT's.

misplaying some one-on-ones isn't what i'd define as making the same mistakes over and over again.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
He looked tired (mentally), last game especially, didn’t seem as poised as usual.

Don’t get why we don’t give our young D a night off from time to time, play Kovacevic a game and then put Guhle back in.

Same with Barron with his 2-3 games in a row where he got hammered, not as a demotion or punishment, just a breather, some extra rest.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
He looked tired (mentally), last game especially, didn’t seem as poised as usual.

Don’t get why we don’t give our young D a night off from time to time, play Kovacevic a game and then put Guhle back in.

Same with Barron with his 2-3 games in a row where he got hammered, not as a demotion or punishment, just a breather, some extra rest.
This is part of the growing pains. We shouldn't give him the night off because he looks tired. This load management strategy is not good.
If you do that, first you will piss the player and then secondly how do you expect him to learn the rigors of a full NHL season if you never expose him to that.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
This is part of the growing pains. We shouldn't give him the night off because he looks tired. This load management strategy is not good.
If you do that, first you will piss the player and then secondly how do you expect him to learn the rigors of a full NHL season if you never expose him to that.

I’m not saying to plan in advance off games (like ANA was doing for Carlsson) and i overall agree with you but that’s also how you can get injured (or rather aggravate something).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not shitting on him. Hes a good young player, but no, he’s not markov, subban and whoever else all in one. He's a promising young dman. I think someone will emerge as our top dog and I don’t think it’s going to be him.
Hes not Markov or Subban but theyre not him either. What he will bring in his prime is entirely different.

Furthermore, in their first 80 games, Subban produced 17 5v5 points and Guhle produced 26.

Subban had 8 secondary assists, Guhle had seven. For fairness, lets say both were 21. (Guhle was 20 for half of that, but wtv.)

Last edited:

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
I dont quite get how some people are saying he wont be a top line D.. Considering how young he is and the experience he already has. His strengths are some of the hardest to teach (skating/awareness), he has TONS of time to get better and better. Right now no obviously not a top line D. To say he wont be is nuts to me. Some top D dont even enter the league until an older age than he is now in the first place...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I dont quite get how some people are saying he wont be a top line D.. Considering how young he is and the experience he already has. His strengths are some of the hardest to teach (skating/awareness), he has TONS of time to get better and better. Right now no obviously not a top line D. To say he wont be is nuts to me. Some top D dont even enter the league until an older age than he is now in the first place...
Ill argue his 5v5 production, his defense, his transition and his intangibles already make him a top.60 D in the league, at 21.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I’m not saying to plan in advance off games (like ANA was doing for Carlsson) and i overall agree with you but that’s also how you can get injured (or rather aggravate something).
Then maybe hit the gym more.

The purpose of development of young players is to count on them by the time they are 24-26. You can play with his ice time if you feel like he needs it but the games have to be played.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Everyone is a top line player, defenseman and goalie in our system (unless they passed on someone else they wanted in round 1) until they play a game for us and then they are all busts with limited upside.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Hes not Markov or Subban but theyre not him either. What he will bring in his prime is entirely different.

Furthermore, in their first 80 games, Subban produced 17 5v5 points and Guhle produced 26.

Subban had 8 secondary assists, Guhle had seven. For fairness, lets say both were 21. (Guhle was 20 for half of that, but wtv.)
If you think guhle brings 1/2 of the offense and dominance that Subban did then I don't know wht to say. Guhle will never quarterback a PP, it's jsut not his skillset. This limits his ceiling whether we like to admit it or not. The offensive skills and instincts are passable, but it will never be his strength, so althoguh the comparison seems favourable for Guhle, it isn't.

Guhle will bring things Subban didn't, goals and assists aren't what it will be. It Guhle's first 80 games he has 29 points, Subban had 40. I know we like pretend special teams don't exist around here.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you think guhle brings 1/2 of the offense and dominance that Subban did then I don't know wht to say. Guhle will never quarterback a PP, it's jsut not his skillset. This limits his ceiling whether we like to admit it or not. The offensive skills and instincts are passable, but it will never be his strength, so althoguh the comparison seems favourable for Guhle, it isn't.

Guhle will bring things Subban didn't, goals and assists aren't what it will be. It Guhle's first 80 games he has 29 points, Subban had 40. I know we like pretend special teams don't exist around here.
As 22 years old? Youre thinking of peak Subban, he wont be as offensively dominant as peak Subban, but nobody thought 22 YO subban would be as good as peak Subban, and Guhles ahead of him at the same age... so who knows.

How do you know Guhle isnt good enough to QB a PP? Weve never seen him do it in the NHL, he did that very well in the W.

Also note that a lot of 1Ds were never QB1 on the PP.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

I love GabaGuhle but he definitely isn't PK with respect to their offensive games. I believe he'll be a solid 35-45 point D man while bringing terrific defense. I love that.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
As 22 years old? Youre thinking of peak Subban, he wont be as offensively dominant as peak Subban, but nobody thought 22 YO subban would be as good as peak Subban, and Guhles ahead of him at the same age... so who knows.

How do you know Guhle isnt good enough to QB a PP? Weve never seen him do it in the NHL, he did that very well in the W.

Also note that a lot of 1Ds were never QB1 on the PP.
I watch him play every night.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Guhle is an elite skater. He’s everywhere on that ice. I see him in a team Canada jersey in the future.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Guhle will never bring the offence that Subban brought in his prime even when talking 5 on 5. But that doesn't being his ceiling isn't that of a top-pairing guy, it just means it's going to be more of the Suter, McDonagh, Hamrlik style of top pairing guy.

As for never quarterbacking a PP, yeah he won't not be that guy, but QBing a PP isn't a requirement for being a top pairing or even #1 D.

Oh and for the record bringing half of Subban's offence is only 20-30 points a season which Guhle will definitely bring.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Guhle will never bring the offence that Subban brought in his prime even when talking 5 on 5. But that doesn't being his ceiling isn't that of a top-pairing guy, it just means it's going to be more of the Suter, McDonagh, Hamrlik style of top pairing guy.

As for never quarterbacking a PP, yeah he won't not be that guy, but QBing a PP isn't a requirement for being a top pairing or even #1 D.

Oh and for the record bringing half of Subban's offence is only 20-30 points a season which Guhle will definitely bring.
I hear this a lot. Name the 1D that doesn’t QB a PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad