Prospect Info: Kaiden Guhle II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Guhle's the only one I haven't seen but if only Juulsen had his skating/mobility I'd be higher on him. I do like Juulsen a lot though at least based off his AHL and WHL play, so good in his own end.

I haven't seen a ton of Fairbrother but I like what i've seen as a bottom pairing D, kind of what we hoped Lernout would have been.

Yup, pretty much my thoughts too. I'm being told they are close to wiping out the season in the WHL. With Covid making another surge, I don't see anything getting done this season in this side of the CHL. I can also see two teams folding if this year is indeed a writeoff in the W.

Reactions: montreal

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
23 lbs since the draft? that doesn't sound good, or someone didn't have the updated weights.

that said as long as it doesn't slow him down. I would think he'll be around Weber's 230 when he's in his prime years anyway.
I might be wrong but, his listed weight for the draft was just under 190lbs but in his draft interview he said he was at 203 or just over 200lbs at that point (i don't have great memory tbh so im not saying im sure or anything) but if it is the case 6lbs in the timeframe seems reasonable... Hadn't read Adam Michael's post yet sorry

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I might be wrong but, his listed weight for the draft was just under 190lbs but in his draft interview he said he was at 203 or just over 200lbs at that point (i don't have great memory tbh so im not saying im sure or anything) but if it is the case 6lbs in the timeframe seems reasonable... Hadn't read Adam Michael's post yet sorry

In the interview, he laughed off suggestions he was light as he had crossed the 200 lbs threshold. It wasn't a 23 lbs gain but, it was somewhere close to 10 lbs, I believe. But, still, the official weights and heights are the biggest yo-yo figures and the least accurate we come across.

Reactions: Gyfu

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Made the national team and is not 5'10" 178 lbs as reported by Pat Hickey in the Gazette this morning. Well, I suppose he is, but also a little more...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

You have to remember that these listed weights in junior are often outdated/exaggerated etc. Players and their agents often supply the data and in Guhle's case this was his reported size prior to the start of last season. The only measurements that can be trusted are from the combine which did not take place this year. It is very likely that he is considerably heavier than his listed junior weight.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

MarkyMarkov

Jan 31, 2010
Getting pretty excited about this kid after hearing what Tourigny had to say. Sounds like the type of player you need to win in the playoffs. 18 years old and potentially in team Canada's top-4, playing against the opposition's best lines. Has all the attributes of a big bruising defenceman you want, but also speed! Imagine he turns into a mix of Weber and Petry. Not as great of a shot as Weber, but Petry's wheels and puck moving abilities, with Weber's toughness and defensive abilities.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Getting pretty excited about this kid after hearing what Tourigny had to say. Sounds like the type of player you need to win in the playoffs. 18 years old and potentially in team Canada's top-4, playing against the opposition's best lines. Has all the attributes of a big bruising defenceman you want, but also speed! Imagine he turns into a mix of Weber and Petry. Not as great of a shot as Weber, but Petry's wheels and puck moving abilities, with Weber's toughness and defensive abilities.

That's pretty much McDonagh in a nutshell.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
Big problem I have with the pick is that once again, Habs seems to be catching up to the present trends (Having a big, fast and mean players) instead of having their own identity to build around. In fact, before this summer, I was happy, because I thought we were slowly building our own identity, with players who make smart and creative plays when they have the puck on their stick, while still taking into acount other facets of the game (Like speed and physicality).

Since this summer, it seems we are back at catching up the trends, when we gave long term contract to Edmundson and Anderson, and drafting Guhle in the first round. Those are not the type of guy we should be adding to complete our current core.

Before this year, I really liked our defensive prospects, with guys like Romanov, Harris, Norlinder and Brook for exemple. These guys all have some weakness in their game, but they all seems to be able to make smart and creative plays with the puck, which I don't see in Guhle.

Plus, I have a feeling that Guhle, who will be seen by management like a safe player, will make them neglect guys like Harris, Norlinder and Brook, who do require developpement, because we have a limited amount of available spot on our rosters, and we already have A LOT of young dman.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I thought we were slowly building our own identity, with players who make smart and creative plays when they have the puck on their stick, while still taking into acount other facets of the game (Like speed and physicality).

You could literally give that identity to any team. Thats a very broad description. Not even sure what a smart play is. We got rid of Domi, and he definitely was not a smart player.

The identity of the habs the last few years was a fast, hardworking, and great forechecking team. In the playoffs, we added another dimensions, which was being a physical team.

Guys like Anderson, Romanov, Guhle, Edmundson are all fast (except for Ed, but he can still skate), physical, and hardworking players, which fits with our team identity.

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
You could literally give that identity to any team. Thats a very broad description. Not even sure what a smart play is. We got rid of Domi, and he definitely was not a smart player.

The identity of the habs the last few years was a fast, hardworking, and great forechecking team. In the playoffs, we added another dimensions, which was being a physical team.

Guys like Anderson, Romanov, Guhle, Edmundson are all fast (except for Ed, but he can still skate), physical, and hardworking players, which fits with our team identity.

That is where I have a problem. While true that this was our identity for the last few years, it does not mean it should be our identity for the next few years. We are building our team around guys like Suzuki and Kotakaniemi, who are definitly not fast skaters (Not saying they are poor skaters, but it is not their strongest part of their game).

When I look at these players, I see players who are making smart and crative play. And I know that is large, sorry, english is not my first language, so it is a bit harder for me to explain what I wanted to explain. By making smart and creative plays, I mean plays that, no matter how long you are scouting those guys, you will have trouble defending against them. Either because these player have a lot of deception in their game, and/or because these player have enough skills to be able to execute plays that are harder to defend.

And even in our guys who are more oriented on the defensive side of the game, like Harris and Romanov, I saw that in their game. When I look at Guhle, I do not see that in his game.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
Big problem I have with the pick is that once again, Habs seems to be catching up to the present trends (Having a big, fast and mean players) instead of having their own identity to build around. In fact, before this summer, I was happy, because I thought we were slowly building our own identity, with players who make smart and creative plays when they have the puck on their stick, while still taking into acount other facets of the game (Like speed and physicality).

Since this summer, it seems we are back at catching up the trends, when we gave long term contract to Edmundson and Anderson, and drafting Guhle in the first round. Those are not the type of guy we should be adding to complete our current core.

Before this year, I really liked our defensive prospects, with guys like Romanov, Harris, Norlinder and Brook for exemple. These guys all have some weakness in their game, but they all seems to be able to make smart and creative plays with the puck, which I don't see in Guhle.

Plus, I have a feeling that Guhle, who will be seen by management like a safe player, will make them neglect guys like Harris, Norlinder and Brook, who do require developpement, because we have a limited amount of available spot on our rosters, and we already have A LOT of young dman.
When was this not a trend though? Every single team in the league has always wanted to be big and fast. The Habs do have an identity, they're a fast team that will outwork the opponent and come in waves. They were able to add bigger players that should be able to keep up with the smaller ones, Guhle's skating should be good enough to keep up too. Not sure what there isn't to like about this offseason.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
There is one certainty. Having a bunch of players with the same skillset is not a recipe for success.
The team needs a mix of player styles to match up against other teams of varying systems and styles. Tampa Bay learned the hard way in 2019 and then decided to add guys like Coleman and Goodrow ahead of their cup run.
St. Louis the year before was full of big mobile defensemen like Guhle.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
When was this not a trend though? Every single team in the league has always wanted to be big and fast. The Habs do have an identity, they're a fast team that will outwork the opponent and come in waves. They were able to add bigger players that should be able to keep up with the smaller ones, Guhle's skating should be good enough to keep up too. Not sure what there isn't to like about this offseason.

Add 'nasty' to fluid skating and larger sized, for our D. Both Guhle and Struble love to hit. Imagine if both Chiarot and Edmundson had fluid skating and a good motor. All of Harris, Norlinder, Romanov, Guhle and Struble have great mobility on the ice. Three of those five are versatile enough to play the right side. For those reasons, they may transition to the NHL roster more easily than what we could potentially see with Brook, Fleury and especially Juulsen. Pretty sure we won't see any of those 5 pull a Beaulieu and become a defensive liability that can actually skate.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Add 'nasty' to fluid skating and larger sized, for our D. Both Guhle and Struble love to hit. Imagine if both Chiarot and Edmundson had fluid skating and a good motor. All of Harris, Norlinder, Romanov, Guhle and Struble have great mobility on the ice. Three of those five are versatile enough to play the right side. For those reasons, they may transition to the NHL roster more easily than what we could potentially see with Brook, Fleury and especially Juulsen. Pretty sure we won't see any of those 5 pull a Beaulieu and become a defensive liability that can actually skate.

Chiarot skates well and Edmundson is an even better skater.....not like these guys are slugs.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

1st of all, a tall, physical defensman, who's a born leader and able to support the offense, will never be a "trend", it's a rare asset.

There's nothing wrong in surrounding what we have with players with specific attributes. We needed to get bigger for the playoffs, without lacking foot speed. They've succeeded that.

The kids you named are 2nd/3rs rounders that have to earn their way to the NHL. There's 7/8 spots on an NHL blueline. If they deserve to be there, they will be there. To get to where you're saying, they all have to reach their ceiling. Let's be honest here, that's not going to happen.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Chiarot skates well and Edmundson is an even better skater.....not like these guys are slugs.

You hear it constantly around there though - mobility is not an asset on D. Everyone agrees we're tough, but certainly not everyone agrees our 6 starting D can skate up and down the ice like a Brodie type, much less Chabot or Hughes level. Because of those inevitable comparisons, our D's skating ability tends to be seen as below average. For better or worse....

Play-reading / vision, as well as skating ability, both seem to have been high on the front office's criteria for draft selection in the last couple of years and that's great news. Solid baseline to build upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad