Kadri vs the field (suspensions)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ya got a point.

Just for the record some Boston fans are saying the ref's were biased against them in the Toronto series. Bias is in the eye of the beholder?

Always! :)

I think reffing is tough, mistakes will happen and it's often subjective as to when a line has been crossed so I don't believe the refs are biased myself. In this case though it wasn't the refs that suspended Kadri and I think they blew it. Nothing to be done about it now, it's just unfortunate that their poor decision came in the playoffs and might have influenced the outcome of the series. I would also hope the team is better prepared if this sort of thing happens again and the player will be fully prepped before talking to the media. As far as Kadri goes, maybe they should try some anger management courses or something.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Re: Kadri I feel he deserved a suspension but felt that three games was too steep. The 5 and a game he got at the end of game 1 and a one game suspension would have been more apt for the offence IMO.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Always! :)

I think reffing is tough, mistakes will happen and it's often subjective as to when a line has been crossed so I don't believe the refs are biased myself. In this case though it wasn't the refs that suspended Kadri and I think they blew it. Nothing to be done about it now, it's just unfortunate that their poor decision came in the playoffs and might have influenced the outcome of the series. I would also hope the team is better prepared if this sort of thing happens again and the player will be fully prepped before talking to the media. As far as Kadri goes, maybe they should try some anger management courses or something.

..or something ;)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Haha yeah. Contact Dubas if you have any ideas, they'd probably be open to suggestions.

Sometimes people are who they are, some people can be educated, some can't. So if Kadri is who he is, management has to make a decision that they either live with the occasional brain farts of passion or they move him. Right now he is far to valuable to move.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Kadri deserved a steep punishment. He got 3 games.

I'm not really sure how other things that happen in the playoffs are relevant to Kadri's suspension

Reactions: Daisy Jane

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I thought he should have got two games personally but three was hardly out of line he had had already been suspended for four games the last two times he did this I believe.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

I'm not really sure how other things that happen in the playoffs are relevant to Kadri's suspension
A broken jaw, and a concussion suffered by the victim should have gotten Wilson more than 3 games IMHO.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
A broken jaw, and a concussion suffered by the victim should have gotten Wilson more than 3 games IMHO.

Did you watch the Department of Player Safety video on the hit?

Hard to argue with anything they explained in the video, regarding why it was 3 games.

Pretty clear cut and dry

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Sometimes people are who they are, some people can be educated, some can't. So if Kadri is who he is, management has to make a decision that they either live with the occasional brain farts of passion or they move him. Right now he is far to valuable to move.

or you identify a centre who isn't happy or something, and do a lateral move.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Did you watch the Department of Player Safety video on the hit?

Hard to argue with anything they explained in the video, regarding why it was 3 games.

Pretty clear cut and dry
I understand their reasoning, but, you just can't ignore the injuries caused. He should have received an extra game or two for the injuries alone.

If the NHL really wanted hits to the head, resulting in broken jaws, and concussions, out of the game, at least 10 games would have been a good start.

Again, JMHO.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

why would other decisions not matter? consistency and precedent are pretty standard things

Reactions: Al14

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Some of the concerns were that these infractions weren't even given a 2 minute penalty.

You are concerned about infractions occurring in a game that weren’t given a penalty?

I think it’s rare. Only happening every minute of every game.

I don’t think wilson got a penalty on the play...?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You are concerned about infractions occurring in a game that weren’t given a penalty?

I think it’s rare. Only happening every minute of every game.

I don’t think wilson got a penalty on the play...?
I'm concerned that there wasn't a consistent standard carried throughout that series from a fans POV. From a safety POV it's concerning many head shots were watched and not penalized simply because of the outcome.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Just for the record some Boston fans are saying the ref's were biased against them in the Toronto series. Bias is in the eye of the beholder?

Well they have a point. Remember that game where they got 6 penalties and we were allowed to get away with whatever we wanted? :sarcasm:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'm concerned that there wasn't a consistent standard carried throughout that series from a fans POV. From a safety POV it's concerning many head shots were watched and not penalized simply because of the outcome.

It’s more concerning to me that headshots that were penalized were dismissed by some because of the player/team that delivered it.

If you are looking for a consistent standard that will be judged consistent from a fan’s POV.... try researching the main boards. Refs are biased against all teams and you can tell who is losing the game based on which direction the ref compliant thread.... and there is one for every game... is going.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s more concerning to me that headshots that were penalized were dismissed by some because of the player/team that delivered it.

If you are looking for a consistent standard that will be judged consistent from a fan’s POV.... try researching the main boards. Refs are biased against all teams and you can tell who is losing the game based on which direction the ref compliant thread.... and there is one for every game... is going.
Theres an argument Kadri's suspension was too severe. Generally you see a 3-1 rule in playoffs because the games matter that much more. Add in the fact he was tossed from that game and it's a pretty hefty penalty even for a repeat offender. Its a pretty severe penalty. I've seen more complaints that other infractions deserved penalties as well or that his was too heavy than I have people outright saying this wasn't a suspendable offense..

As for the officiating, it's simply bad league-wide. There's no conspiracy, just a low standard at this point in time and some horrendous game management this playoff. Best example is the Game Toronto won in Boston where there were plenty of complaints from the "winning side".

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Theres an argument Kadri's suspension was too severe. Generally you see a 3-1 rule in playoffs because the games matter that much more. Add in the fact he was tossed from that game and it's a pretty hefty penalty even for a repeat offender. Its a pretty severe penalty. I've seen more complaints that other infractions deserved penalties as well or that his was too heavy than I have people outright saying this wasn't a suspendable offense..

As for the officiating, it's simply bad league-wide. There's no conspiracy, just a low standard at this point in time and some horrendous game management this playoff. Best example is the Game Toronto won in Boston where there were plenty of complaints from the "winning side".

His last 2 were 4 games each. One could argue they haven’t deterred him. So maybe an 8-10 game reg season is equivalent to 3.

Wilson got 3.

I’m not losing sleep over it.

NHL is punishing head shots. That’s a good thing.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
And punching Fredrick. And tripping Marner on the draw. And the constant tugs with his stick on other players feet.
Looks like when Marchand pulls crap it's because Marchand will be Marchand. But when Kadri pulls anything then he is a pest that must be taught a lesson.

Do the leafs have any recourse to complain about Marchand's illegal behavior that the refs are completely blind to.
Are you seriously comparing a tug on the feet to a cross-check to the head?

(Edit) Sorry, I didn't realize that was last year's conversation. Last year it wasn't a cross-check to the head, just a charge/elbow/boarding.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad