Kadri to the Wing?

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
This might sound silly be hear me out. When Matthews comes back and if/when Nylander is signed it has been assumed that Kadri will move back into the 3C Position. In my opinion I feel Kadri plays better in the Top 6 than the Top 9 due to the level of his linemates. With that being said, what about a possible line up of:

Kadri - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Lindholm - Marleau
Hyman - Ennis - Brown
Leivo/Gauthier

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen have played fantastic together. Let's keep that as our 3rd line.

If/When Willy comes back, I'd roll with:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Leivo-Lindholm-Brown

(If Johnsson doesn't gel well with Auston and Willy, switch him with Kap)

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen have played fantastic together. Let's keep that as our 3rd line.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-GOAT-Leivo

I love the idea of pairings for our lineup that should stay the same throughout the year.

Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri

You fill in the rest where they can fit.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I'm not sure you know what Cs are responsible for.

I also vote silly.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
For removing Kadri from his natural position and then moving Ennis to centre. Yep silly.

We do folks get so caught up in this silly numbering system. Fact is, your top six even your top nine forwards play almost the same amount of minutes. So when the your third best centre is playing....he's your best centre on the ice at the time. And Kadri play LW at times...on the PP. Especially last year, he replaces Hyman at LW and played with Matthews and Nylander. The main reason he scored 30 goals was his production as a winger on the PP.

Similarly in baseball (during the regular season) when folks list the starters number one to five. The best three starters play the same number of games so whats the importance of a numbering system.

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
I would keep the current top 6 intact and now you get to add 2/3rd of a top line and give them time to get up to speed.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
______ - Matthews - Nylander
______ - Lindholm - _______
Ennis/Leivo/Brown/Johnsson/Gauthier fill those spots

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Kadri gets the expanded offensive opportunities (linemates) on the PP, though his ES linemates should be good enough too when that all settles into place. He still does well in terms of ice time and is pacing to be in line with his production from the past two seasons. Think he'll be fine as the 3C when the team gets back to full health, which hopefully happens soon and consistently.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Ennis-GOAT-Leivo

Uhm Lindholm and Brown?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I vote silly. C Depth wins championships. Our wings are fine even without Nylander.

The argument is you're not losing anything defensively because Lindholm has proven to be such a great shutdown C.

Babcock has shown he likes to use a 4th line for 8 + minutes per night. That means the the third line will see seriously reduced minutes and Kadri's production suffered when in the bottom 6.

If i'm a fan I want my 6 best forwards playing 20 minutes per night each. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Nylander and Kapanen. Kadri has played so much better in the top 6 and when he's in the bottom 6 I feel he's not providing much 5 on 5 offence and Lindholm is a better shutdown centre then Kadri anyways

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
just bring back Willy and Matty ASAP.. any combinations after that would be amazing. seriously have blue balls since the summer.

Reactions: 7even

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The argument is you're not losing anything defensively because Lindholm has proven to be such a great shutdown C.

Babcock has shown he likes to use a 4th line for 8 + minutes per night. That means the the third line will see seriously reduced minutes and Kadri's production suffered when in the bottom 6.

If i'm a fan I want my 6 best forwards playing 20 minutes per night each. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Nylander and Kapanen. Kadri has played so much better in the top 6 and when he's in the bottom 6 I feel he's not providing much 5 on 5 offence and Lindholm is a better shutdown centre then Kadri anyways
I'd rather win the cup. I get the sense you do not see the match up nightmare our C is.

Reactions: diceman934

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
YI think the only way the leafs can keep kadri long term is if he plays wing with tavares. If they pay kadri 6.5 as a top line winger it is easier then as a 3rd line center.

Maybe lindholm develops into our 3rd line center or we trade for one?

Kadri on wing helps with cap and ice time allocation

Kadri Tavares. Kapanen
Hyman. Matthews. Marner
Marleau .lindholm. Brown
Leivo. Goat. Johnsson

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd rather stack up the top 6 to provide an even bigger miss match to win the cup
I can't help you. Everyone is desperate for C for a reason. It's a waste to use a top 6 c as a winger and probably he is proud of being a c and wants to stay one.

We have the deepest forward group and among the deepest C and you want to flush that advantage down the toilet .
I get you are trying to think outside the box but this will never happen.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I'd rather trade Nylander than trade Kadri,
Kadri is a proven shut down center and Nylander has potential to be a good center but right now he's a elite winger.

Kadri on pace for a 60 point season playing on the third line , I'm happy with that

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No need for that if / when Nylander is back he can play on Matthews or switch him to Kadri's line and Kappy back with Matthews

Reactions: stickty111

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Wow just wow. So now Lindholm is a better center then Kadri. Just where do these opinions come from. Kadri is vastly superior his zone starts and QOC supports this never mind the points his line contributes playing against better players.

You said it best. As a Fan! Babcock thankfully is not a fan but a coach. He is not taking one of the top 30-40 centers in the League and playing on the wing so that it appeases some fans. Kadri will get his minutes and is going to play 15-18 minutes a night playing in our top 9.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad