Eklund Rumor: Kadri to calgary

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hyperbole aside just this season Gaudreau will probably do better but Marner is pacing better then his rookie season at a younger age and playing better defensively right now. I wouldn't trade Gio for Marner for the age difference in the two basically and if anyone on the Flames was going to get Marner it would be Hamilton but I don't think I could do that either. As for Tkachuk he is an awesome player but would not get you Marner.

Just throwing it out there but Gaudreau didn't even play top two line minutes until halfway through his first season, so Marner has that. Gaudreau also played with scrubs, another Marner plus.hard to say it's better right now.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Hyperbole aside just this season Gaudreau will probably do better but Marner is pacing better then his rookie season at a younger age and playing better defensively right now. I wouldn't trade Gio for Marner for the age difference in the two basically and if anyone on the Flames was going to get Marner it would be Hamilton but I don't think I could do that either. As for Tkachuk he is an awesome player but would not get you Marner.

I don't think Marner will ever quite reach Gaudreau's level. He's still got a pretty long way to go until he's consistently able to produce while being the #1 target for the opposition.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
This thread had all the makings of a 24 page monster where the discussion will veer from Kadri, Brodie, Hamilton, Giordano, Rielly, Gaudreau, Marner, Monahan and Matthews before eventually being put out of its misery by whichever mod loses patience first. All from an Eklund rumor, people like to pretend he is irrelevant but he clearly isn't especially when despite the BS he puts out there it still gets read and is still discussed.

So true! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't think Marner will ever quite reach Gaudreau's level. He's still got a pretty long way to go until he's consistently able to produce while being the #1 target for the opposition.

I get that you are like a massive Gaudreau fan but I just can not understand this opinion lol I mean Gaudreau is a great player but let's not act like this would be some outrageous feet for Marner to get to Gaudreau level of player....I mean he has a couple year head start and isn't even that far off as a teenager. He is also objectively a better defensive player. Like I said I respect your opinion but I just do not see how you can say a kid who is on pace to fall just under 70 points as a teenager doesn't have the potential to reach Gaudreau's level? I think that is over rating Gaudreau's level to be quite honest.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Thanks for your opinion. Personally, I can't see any reason Marner can't reach Gaudreau's level. He has very similar offensive upside, but far superior defensive play. IMHO he'll eclipse Gaudreau in due time.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Thanks for your opinion. Personally, I can't see any reason Marner can't reach Gaudreau's level. He has very similar offensive upside, but far superior defensive play. IMHO he'll eclipse Gaudreau in due time.

This is such BS, Gaudreau is a great defensive player. Marner has a long way to go to be the second most dangerous young player in the game.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario

Marner's on pace for 67 pts this season-Age 19

Gaudreau had 64 pts his rookie season-Age 21

Marner's very good defensively as a 19 year old rookie. How could he not reach Gaudreau's level?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Why not? Gaudreau is 5 years older in development and Marner was more impressive in junior.

I don't buy that its like your saying that US college hockey is some easy ride. Gaudreau was playing against and dominating against Men.

What Johnny did at Boston College was incredibly special.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't buy that its like your saying that US college hockey is some easy ride. Gaudreau was playing against and dominating against Men.

What Johnny did at Boston College was incredibly special.

And what Marner did in Junior was incredibly special. I am a fan of Gaudreau...but Marner's ceiling is higher then Johnny Hockey.

YennoItFlames

Sep 1, 2016
You're clueless. Marner is already better than any player on the Flames, and he's only 19.

[mod] you're a leafs fan overrating your teams player, he's played a big 30 games in the NHL, he's not proven yet, just wait until he goes to his regular form

Last edited by a moderator:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
[mod] you're a leafs fan overrating your teams player, he's played a big 30 games in the NHL, he's not proven yet, just wait until he goes to his regular form

How do we know what his regular form is. He's only payed 33 games and is on pace for 65+ pts as a rookie. Is this is regular pace, is it higher? Lower? Right now honestly it's too early to compare the two player imo. Marner has a ridiculously high ceiling(like he could chaplane eichel(don't think he beats him but can put up a challange, for 2nd best forward.) What he did in juniors was impressive as what gaudreau did in ncaa. Both elit talent. And I'm happy for both the teams who have them. Flame fans found a steal in the 4th round, ( I believe it was 4th) while the leafs got marner 4th overall and are extremely happy moving forward. No need to bash either player. Both are two players I'd gladly pay to go watch play.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Higher ceiling? Gaudreau is a ppg caliber player. Higher ceiling means you're competing for the Art Ross here.

Huh Gaudreau just missed ppg last year and is under it this year(yes I know he had an injury) it takes more then one season before you can just slap on the ppg label on a player and Johnny isn't there yet. So yes I think Marner has the point potential to do as good if not better then Gaudreau and play better two way hockey making him....a better player. Gaudreau isn't a kid anymore he doesn't have that much development left. Marner is 4 years younger and on track to do better then Gaudreau's 21 year old rookie season. I'm a big fan of Gaudreau but I would not even consider a swap of Marner and Gaudreau going forward. Like as soon as next season Marner could be the better player in general.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

what the heck is his regular form? He's been in his regular form for a while....

YennoItFlames

Sep 1, 2016
How do we know what his regular form is. He's only payed 33 games and is on pace for 65+ pts as a rookie. Is this is regular pace, is it higher? Lower? Right now honestly it's too early to compare the two player imo. Marner has a ridiculously high ceiling(like he could chaplane eichel(don't think he beats him but can put up a challange, for 2nd best forward.) What he did in juniors was impressive as what gaudreau did in ncaa. Both elit talent. And I'm happy for both the teams who have them. Flame fans found a steal in the 4th round, ( I believe it was 4th) while the leafs got marner 4th overall and are extremely happy moving forward. No need to bash either player. Both are two players I'd gladly pay to go watch play.

what the heck is his regular form? He's been in his regular form for a while....

Did I bash either player? All I said was he's overrating his player, his regular form won't be shown for I'd say at least 2 full seasons, maybe 3 seasons so it shows more play in the best league of hockey, but it's like saying McDavid is better than Crosby, you can't say anything about a prospect until he shows more promise in the NHL, I'm going to laugh when Marner gets his sophomore slump next year and leaf fans want to trade him...

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Huh Gaudreau just missed ppg last year and is under it this year(yes I know he had an injury) it takes more then one season before you can just slap on the ppg label on a player and Johnny isn't there yet. So yes I think Marner has the point potential to do as good if not better then Gaudreau and play better two way hockey making him....a better player. Gaudreau isn't a kid anymore he doesn't have that much development left. Marner is 4 years younger and on track to do better then Gaudreau's 21 year old rookie season. I'm a big fan of Gaudreau but I would not even consider a swap of Marner and Gaudreau going forward. Like as soon as next season Marner could be the better player in general.

By that logic...it takes way way more before you can start believing Marner is going to be better than Gaudreau. And we were talking about ceilings, clearly Gaudreau has PPG ability as his ceiling at least. If his ceiling is higher than you are talking about seeing him PPG+ and compete for the Art Ross at some point.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
By that logic...it takes way way more before you can start believing Marner is going to be better than Gaudreau. And we were talking about ceilings, clearly Gaudreau has PPG ability as his ceiling at least. If his ceiling is higher than you are talking about seeing him PPG+ and compete for the Art Ross at some point.

What I said was that I think he can put up comparable numbers to Gaudreau offensively while being a better two way player....which would make him a better player. What's Marner going to be like in 4 years when he is old man Johnny's age? Who knows.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
We've allowed 94 goals
Calgary has allowed 102

The above poster is correct, I'd rather get Dman, who doesn't leak.

94 in 32 games when you posted = 2.94

102 in 35 games when you posted = 2.91

Today: 95 goals in 33 games = 2.88

103 in 36 games = 2.86

So based on the numbers you posted, Calgary is stingier than Toronto in goals allowed.

But you're actually right. Try to find why...

I'll be back with the answer within a day or two, if no one posts it.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Nhl.com he has 26 points tied with Matthews. Hockeydb is apparently on vacation.
(...)

Hockey-reference also has him at 25.

Who finally got credit for the 3rd goal against Colorado ?

nhl.com has it scored by Polak, assisted by JVR and Marner.

hockey-reference.com has it scored by Kadri, assisted by Polak and JVR

That explains the difference.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Hockey-reference also has him at 25.

Who finally got credit for the 3rd goal against Colorado ?

nhl.com has it scored by Polak, assisted by JVR and Marner.

hockey-reference.com has it scored by Kadri, assisted by Polak and JVR

That explains the difference.

It was scored on the ice to Kadri and wasn't adjusted by the league for what seemed like 24 hours so I am guessing the secondary tracking sites had already updated their information and haven't re-updated it. The goal was definitely given to Polak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad