Kadri Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
To be honest, this year playing regularly with Komo and Brown, and on the PP with Matthews and Nylander, is already the best linemates he's ever had on a consistent basis in his career - so it's actually no big surprise that he's putting up better offensive numbers than usual.

ya for sure, last year was a joke for him in terms of talent level around him. I think we have every reason to expect him to have at least average 2nd line talent around him, even if he's playing on our "3rd" line - we're going to be a deep team thanks to Hunter

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
If that's all this was about, this thread would be about a page long. Let's play your game and then perhaps you can have a discussion with the fan club.

Agree or disagree?

Kadri is the greatest 45 point Leaf in the 100 year history of Leafs, an untouchable shutdown Centre on par with Selke trophy nominees who took a significant pay cut to play here.

Quite the hyperbole. But ya, I'd consider him closer to that than just a role player, obviously he falls somewhere in the middle as a valuable reasonably paid 50 point two-way 2C.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That's cool. :) Only a few days ago there wasn't a single player with a +, let's hope that list of players grows quickly.

I think the goaltending was the major culprit there, with a 3.5+ GAA and ~.880 sv% it's pretty hard to be on the ice for more goals for than against

Andersen's GAA is still a little high, but sv% has corrected in a major way to .909, very good sign you would think

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It also helps that when we're on the road, teams concentrate on stopping Matthews, Marner etc. while last year, especially after JVR got injured, Kadri was at the top of the list of guys to pay attention to. It's hard to say how many more points that should translate to but I think 55 is a reasonable expectation.

Other teams concentrating on Matthews, Marner, etc while on the road this year has certainly been a boon for Kadri ... a whole 4 points in 9 games AND a -7...., while at home 8 points, +3 in 10 games...

Good thing Brownie is driving play for that line eh?

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Other teams concentrating on Matthews, Marner, etc while on the road this year has certainly been a boon for Kadri ... a whole 4 points in 9 games AND a -7...., while at home 8 points, +3 in 10 games...

Good thing Brownie is driving play for that line eh?

I'd normally laugh at this type of sarcasm but knowing you, you are 100% serious about thinking it's Brown who drives the line.

I thought Kadri's line was especially good 2 years ago when Daniel Winnik was driving it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'd normally laugh at this type of sarcasm but knowing you, you are 100% serious about thinking it's Brown who drives the line.

I thought Kadri's line was especially good 2 years ago when Daniel Winnik was driving it.

Personally I think Colton Orr was the best line driver, he was on Kadri's line the majority of the lockout season and look how well he did!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Quite the hyperbole. But ya, I'd consider him closer to that than just a role player, obviously he falls somewhere in the middle as a valuable reasonably paid 50 point two-way 2C.

Hyperbole vs actual statements is the issue at question.

So you agree? Greatest 45 point Leafs in our 100 year history? Took a significant pay cut to stay here? Untouchable?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Personally I think Colton Orr was the best line driver, he was on Kadri's line the majority of the lockout season and look how well he did!

Yup. People don't realize that Kadri has had unsustainably good luck - every time he gets new wingers, they have career years. I mean what are the odds?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
His 45 last season was perhaps the most impressive 45 points ever scored by a Leaf considering not only was he tasked to play against top lines with 3rd line wingers, he was also the guy other teams keyed on (especially after JVR went down) - stop Kadri and you stop the Leafs.

Kadri is the greatest 45 point Leaf in the 100 year history of Leafs, an untouchable shutdown Centre on par with Selke trophy nominees who took a significant pay cut to play here.

You know ShipOut, I was going to go through clause by clause in this statement but given how hilarious you've blatantly twisted someone elses words to make the first I'd like you to find the quotes that support them.

Was the original statement hyperbole? Of course, but like most hyperbole is rooted in truth. He had a very impressive year given the circumstances.

But **** it. I'll help you burn your strawmen .
Kadri is the greatest 45 point Leaf in the 100 year history of Leafs
Nope, that'd probably be Pulford. If Kadri were to continue to be the player he is over the duration of that contract wins a cup or four we can talk about it.
an untouchable
Nope, reserved for Matthews, Marner, and maybe Rielly. Even then no ironclad
shutdown Centre on par with Selke trophy nominees
-nope
who took a significant pay cut to play here.
depends on your definition of significant, based on comparables could have gotten anywhere from 100k /year to a million more per year playing hardball / arbitration + open market.

But now I'll write true amalgam of the thoughts that you so pathetically had to twist rather than addressing the myriad of evidence based posts in this thread.

"Kadri had a very impressive year last year given the circumstances. He had success in a shutdown role while continuing to produce with little support. Given his career production as a mid to upper echelon 2C and his ability to agitate, this shut down ability makes him a very versatile player. Coupled with a slightly below market value contract he is a great asset to this team and it's depth at C, and would not be easily replaced.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It is a smart use of a vague term like "role player", though.

It sounds vaguely insulting while at the same time letting him avoid having to peg an actual value to him.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
It is a smart use of a vague term like "role player", though.

It sounds vaguely insulting while at the same time letting him avoid having to peg an actual value to him.

It's like calling someone out for "attitude problems". You can't actually measure it, but boy can you sure state it!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You know ShipOut, I was going to go through clause by clause in this statement but given how hilarious you've blatantly twisted someone elses words to make the first I'd like you to find the quotes that support them.

Was the original statement hyperbole? Of course, but like most hyperbole is rooted in truth. He had a very impressive year given the circumstances.

But **** it. I'll help you burn your strawmen .
Nope, that'd probably be Pulford. If Kadri were to continue to be the player he is over the duration of that contract wins a cup or four we can talk about it.
Nope, reserved for Matthews, Marner, and maybe Rielly. Even then no ironclad
-nope
depends on your definition of significant, based on comparables could have gotten anywhere from 100k /year to a million more per year playing hardball / arbitration + open market.

But now I'll write true amalgam of the thoughts that you so pathetically had to twist rather than addressing the myriad of evidence based posts in this thread.

"Kadri had a very impressive year last year given the circumstances. He had success in a shutdown role while continuing to produce with little support. Given his career production as a mid to upper echelon 2C and his ability to agitate, this shut down ability makes him a very versatile player. Coupled with a slightly below market value contract he is a great asset to this team and it's depth at C, and would not be easily replaced.

That's exactly what I meant, thanks. Funny, I've been thinking about who other contenders would be, Pulford's a good find. If we were to restrict it to after the time the season got extended to 82 games and also restricted it to forwards (45 points in 50 games would obviously be more impressive, as would be 45 points be a d-man) then it gets interesting. I haven't scanned the data so I have no idea but I think Kadri's season would be right up there.

But yeah, of course it was hyperbole. And the fact that I was just idly wondering about this is also suggested by the word "perhaps" which shipout either missed or ignored.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It's like calling someone out for "attitude problems". You can't actually measure it, but boy can you sure state it!

the funny thing is we all know "role player" is a term used mainly for 4th line calibre players who happen to have a very specific use - like faceoffs or penalty killing or hitting or fisticuffs. The term isn't really even used for good 3rd liners. Let alone good 2nd liners like Kadri.

but pookie thinks he's hoodwinking us dullards.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
the funny thing is we all know "role player" is a term used mainly for 4th line calibre players who happen to have a very specific use - like faceoffs or penalty killing or hitting or fisticuffs. The term isn't really even used for good 3rd liners. Let alone good 2nd liners like Kadri.

but pookie thinks he's hoodwinking us dullards.

I just don't know how anyone can look at Kadri playing hockey and think;

"He is barely a 3rd line player."

What other hockey have you been watching?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad