Kadri Sees Himself As Star (misleading title)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kadri has radiated arrogance for years.

Headache down the road, guaranteed.

Sign him to a bridge deal and then deal his arse out of town.

Why would we wait?

I can not for the life of me see any point in trading a player that looks like he is our number one center very soon.....as soon as this year possibly. I see him as a very confident person and not a headache down the road at all.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I don't think Kadri is any different, than any player that has confidence in himself and as a matter of fact, if he didn't think way, that would be more of a turn-off to me.

I think he eventually will be signed to a Bridge Contract and will keep on playing very well but because he has to prove himself with more playing time at the NHL level, that may work better for him, for the next contract.

Arrogance will only become a problem, if it affects other players on the team and or coach's decisions and if that does become a problem, then he will have to be dealt with.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
the part that got me was where he said he'd taken into consideration the salary cap even that it wasn't "his problem". that's a nice sentiment to share out loud :shakehead

I don't understand why that would be upsetting. The salary cap isn't his problem at all and doesn't dictate his value, so if he's taking it into consideration, that indicates he really does want to be here and he's willing to do the club a favour to make it happen.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't understand why that would be upsetting. The salary cap isn't his problem at all and doesn't dictate his value, so if he's taking it into consideration, that indicates he really does want to be here and he's willing to do the club a favour to make it happen.

Exactly.....well stated!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He does hold some leverage. We don't have a lot of offence from our centres. Who wants to start the season with Bozak and Bolland as the top 2 centres? Not me, and hopefully not Nonis.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He does hold some leverage. We don't have a lot of offence from our centres. Who wants to start the season with Bozak and Bolland as the top 2 centres? Not me, and hopefully not Nonis.

I believe he is Nonis number one priority at this time....I believe we sign him before camp starts....

Am I correct that if we include bonuses that they are not used against the cap until the following year?

If so we include bonuses in the contract and get it done and use the rest of the cap to sign Franson for a longer term.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
What makes you suspect this?

His history, not convinced of his long term commitment, he'll always think his value is greater than it actually is. Long term I think he'll be a malcontent hopefully I'm wrong.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
I believe he is Nonis number one priority at this time....I believe we sign him before camp starts....

Am I correct that if we include bonuses that they are not used against the cap until the following year?

If so we include bonuses in the contract and get it done and use the rest of the cap to sign Franson for a longer term.

I've only seen the bonus jump used for older players, not sure how it's practically implemented though.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I would like everyone to remember, that Kadri has not sought out the Media at any point this year.

He is asked a question about is it becoming a distraction and he answers. For all the posters who are speaking negative about him.....remember this is a player that has been verbally abused by many people in the Organization and yet he still wants to stay. If Franson was in town he would be giving sound bites as well.

He will get signed...a simple base salary and easily attainable bonuses is another tactic we can use to bridge him, base salary of 2.65 million and bonuses of up to 1.35 million for say 20 goals he gets $350,000 and 30 assists or 50 points he gets $500,000 and then if he gets 60 points another $500,000 etc.

This way he earns his money.

He will sign before the season starts.

Kadri's not eligible for bonuses, unless this has changed in the new CBA, only ELC, 35+ and guys who were injuried for a long time and signed 1 year deals were eligible under the old CBA for bonuses and haven't heard anything different in the new one.

Apr 1, 2010

Self Confidence and arrogance are twins that are often mistaken for each other.
Kadri had fought his whole life. From being too small to being too fat, and how is a muslim going to play during Ramadan?

Well he has made it to the NHL and put up a pretty darn good season. While I agree with you on the bridge contract, talented players who have gone through what Kadri has are not to be given away lightly.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

It is a fine line between a player having a healthy self confidence and being cocky.

He strikes me as cocky but that is based on very limited evidence, obviously.

leafspring*

I'm thinkin there is alot of speculation/formed opinion with no facts in that baby of a article lol.Simmons is a disturber

Last edited by a moderator:

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
I'm thinkin there is alot of speculation/formed opinion with no facts in that baby of a article lol.Simmons is a disturber

Yeah, whether Kadri is looking for 6m a year or not, he - or at least his agent - has to be aware that won't happen. If he thinks there a 6m a year RFA offer out there, then good luck to him, 'cause the league it kinda spent out right now IMO.

So they'll negotiate the best bridge they can get, but they don't have proper leverage to get the long-term deal Kadri might prefer right now. Sure, they'll make it as uncomfortable as possible and pray Nonis blinks and deals away talent to open up room to pay Kadri, but before camp is over they'll take their bridge, unless Kadri's a complete and total moron anyway.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Simmons doesnt have the intellectual capacity to create a thought proving article, to engage the reader, therefore he makes unsubstantiated claims, to create angst and animosity and therefore try to sell his bush league paper. Unfortunately there are other writters alot like him as well, that peruse these very same boards to come up with some ideas for articles.

jughead42*

His history, not convinced of his long term commitment, he'll always think his value is greater than it actually is. Long term I think he'll be a malcontent hopefully I'm wrong.

you're probably right, Kadri will end up being more hassel than he's worth. So what if he scores a couple points when he gets on a hot streak and gives a bit of effort, his game is so overrated and not required for the Leafs to be successful. I'd trade him for whatever I could get, then be delighted that he's somebody else's problem. The guy plays good for about 30 games in his career and wants to be paid like an allstar. screw him.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
you're probably right, Kadri will end up being more hassel than he's worth. So what if he scores a couple points when he gets on a hot streak and gives a bit of effort, his game is so overrated and not required for the Leafs to be successful. I'd trade him for whatever I could get, then be delighted that he's somebody else's problem. The guy plays good for about 30 games in his career and wants to be paid like an allstar. screw him.

You know you're out there when you respond to Freebird and come off as even less reasonable than him.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver

What exactly does this opinion have to do with Kadri's summer workout schedule...?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

I read most of this thinking it was sarcasm. Silly me.

Alazais

Jun 19, 2010
Adam Henrique signs a 6 year deal for 4 million a year. That does not bode well for The Leafs cap position. He is the first of the 4 rfa centre's to get signed.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Kadri has zero leverage until a GM from another team gives him an offer sheet he likes. So I wouldn't worry. The Leafs have all the leverage and can lowball Kadri and Franson all day until another GM has the balls to offer sheet him. It's taboo to offer sheet a RFA in the NHL. This unwritten rule to not offersheet RFAs from other teams is basically collusion and it puts RFA players at a disadvantage in negotiations and UFAs at a huge advantage (which is why UFAs are typically overpaid. Like David Clarkson and Tyler Bozak). When we roll into training camp season in September, maybe we'll start to see offer sheets go in if Nazem Kadri and Cody Franson remain unsigned.

The Habs Eyes on the Prize blogger suggested that the Canadiens GM should offer Kadri $5m/yr, which would cost Montreal the 1st and 3rd round pick for 2014. Considering that Montreal will likely make the playoffs, that means we would get a late 1st rounder + 3rd rounder for Kadri. So I definitely don't want Montreal to get him. Unless we luck out in the draft and with our scouting and are able to pick up a solid guy late in the 1st round who will end up better than Kadri. Naturally, I would prefer that a team that would likely finish low in the regular season table put in an offer sheet for Nazem Kadri. I think it's BS how all first round draft picks are treated equally for RFA compensation. I haven't done a study on this but generally there should be an obvious quality difference between say a #7 pick and a #21 pick for example (late draft picks like Claude Giroux and P.K Subban excepted). Montreal is Toronto's biggest NHL rival. So it would be pretty heated if they stole Kadri. Apparently they have the cap room to make it happen (according to the blogger). They have tradeable contracts (ie. Travis Moen) they can get rid of to make space.

Last edited:

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
You know you're out there when you respond to Freebird and come off as even less reasonable than him.

LOL, so true. I don't bother reading much from some posters that are ridiculously pessimist or obviously attempting to stir up arguments. I have some friends at work that are die hard leaf fans and we just don't discuss certain players.

I find it odd how polarizing some opinions can be. I have one friend at work that thinks Dion is our worst D. No amount of rational discussion will change his mind.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
LOL, so true. I don't bother reading much from some posters that are ridiculously pessimist or obviously attempting to stir up arguments. I have some friends at work that are die hard leaf fans and we just don't discuss certain players.

I find it odd how polarizing some opinions can be. I have one friend at work that thinks Dion is our worst D. No amount of rational discussion will change his mind.
Dion Phaneuf is a puck-carrying defenseman who is played too often in a defensive shut-down role. That's the problem.

Phaneuf ranked 63rd/72 in 5v5 Offensive zone assignment usage (OZFO%) among NHL defenseman with 3000+ 5v5 mins in the last 3 seasons. And yet he manages to still rank 32nd among that sample in 5v5 P/60 mins and 32nd in 5v5 Individual Point Production. The Leafs are basically asking a puck-carrying defenseman to take on defensive assignments. What do you get when you play a guy in a role for which he is ill-suited? Phaneuf plays a physical game and loves to hit but he was never known for his defensive play. Phaneuf makes $6.5m/yr because he's a puck-carrying defenseman with a mean slapshot. The fact that he has some size and can drill guys is just an added bonus. And yet we ask him to take on defensive assignments. It makes no sense. Wouldn't you rather have Phaneuf there in the offensive zone? Where he can take a slap shot from the point, which may lead to a lucky rebound or maybe even a goal once in awhile?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad