Kadri on pace for a 30 goal/60 point season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
We have 7 players with more hits than Kadri.

Gauthier has more hits than Kadri.

If they played a full 60 minutes, Kerfoot would average out half a hit less than Kadri.

You remember his physicality because he crossed the line more often than the rest of our team, but he wasn't a consistent physical presence. He didn't play particularly heavy or wear down the other team unless he was shadowing a star and on his game. Good player, but not the powerforward you guys seem to be remembering him as.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Mikheyev has more points than Kadri at even-strength. In fact even with Kadri playing on the stacked Avs PP and in a 5top-6 role, Kadri only has 1 more point in total more than Mikheyev.

So I'm not sure what you're point is here. Dubas replaced Kadri's offense with Mikheyev while also adding a top-4 RHD and a young 3C. Sure his physicality would've been nice, but he was completely invisible last year regular season with limited physicality for some reason. And I'm a Kadri fan.
That's a very fair argument, although Babcock clipped his wings and forced him to play the grinder role the way Babs wanted him to... less Brad Marchand and more current Tyler Bozak... lots of analogies I can choose from. Less Darcy Tucker and more Boyd Devereaux... Like making Marchand a 3rd liner because he is a grinder. The only chance he got was on the PP and he was trying to make the best of it... probably gripping the stick too much as he knew in 2 mins he was back to skating around the rink with guys half his talent.

Props to him for never complaining or saying a peep about his demotion. Obviously he has matured enough to be more of a team guy and work on his game. He is a top 6 centre on many team... unfortunately not ours and he isnt a winger.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON

If they played a full 60 minutes, Kerfoot would average out half a hit less than Kadri.

You remember his physicality because he crossed the line more often than the rest of our team, but he wasn't a consistent physical presence. He didn't play particularly heavy or wear down the other team unless he was shadowing a star and on his game. Good player, but not the powerforward you guys seem to be remembering him as.
Babcock system 100% which Kadri bought into completely and didnt complain. Class act but very misused. Marleau's face into the glass and the only one to step up was Naz... We were pushed around the whole series. We cant beat the playoff bruins on offense alone... very recent histor tells us that

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Babcock system 100% which Kadri bought into completely and didnt complain. Class act but very misused. Marleau's face into the glass and the only one to step up was Naz... We were pushed around the whole series. We cant beat the playoff bruins on offense alone... very recent histor tells us that

We outscored them at even strength and out-hit them. We lost because our PK was historically bad and Kadri made a stupid choice. Dumb hit on a dumb target who was obviously trying to rattle Kadri all series. I bet he was surprised with how easy it was to get Kadri suspended.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
We outscored them at even strength and out-hit them. We lost because our PK was historically bad and Kadri made a stupid choice. Dumb hit on a dumb target who was obviously trying to rattle Kadri all series. I bet he was surprised with how easy it was to get Kadri suspended.
I watched it. Kadri was thrust into a grinder role playing 5 mins less/game and against mismatched competition than a player of his calibre deserved. He never once complained and thanked Toronto for the time he spent there. Agreed you keep your cool in that situation but Matthews could very well have taken his off-season fiasco 1 step further and spent the rest of the season sitting. It comes down to talent and needs for the leafs and what we "needed" 1 year of barrie and an often invisible Kerfoot isnt worth the other options we couldve pursued with the very valuable Kadri. at 4.5m imo opinion we shouldve went for a servicable/reliable stay at home dman and a first round pick. We have too many holes and this will go down as a wasted asset when Barrie walks

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
our Goals against was 20'th in the league... Bruins was 3'rd... they were by all accounts the more well rounded team... the past 3 times we faced them in fact.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Leafs didn't have the guts to can Babcock last year but they had to make a change, Kadri was the easiest and most obvious. Looking back, it's hard to say canning Babcock and keeping Kadri over Kerfoot and Barrie wouldn't have been better. I was 100% on the fire Babcock at that point so I'll pretend that's the move I would have made.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I didnt have an issue on Kadri sticking up for his team-mate on that hit but out of all the hits, that's the one you cross check a guy in the face for? And yes, the Leafs can absolutely beat the Bruins. Do people forget how this team pushes the Bruins to 7, matches them in hits, and scores at a similar pace? Or are we just accepting that everything Boston does is elite and we should accept defeat? People make it seem like they sweep us every year, meanwhile, they outplay us by a period or two. The Bruins are a team that gets away with murder, if the refs did their job then we come out last year on top. The officiating was disgusting last year and before that. That's not an excuse, but it's pretty evident there was a double standard. The league just doesnt call penalties against the Leafs opposition. The proof is in the numbers.

horner

May 22, 2007
That's a very fair argument, although Babcock clipped his wings and forced him to play the grinder role the way Babs wanted him to... less Brad Marchand and more current Tyler Bozak... lots of analogies I can choose from. Less Darcy Tucker and more Boyd Devereaux... Like making Marchand a 3rd liner because he is a grinder. The only chance he got was on the PP and he was trying to make the best of it... probably gripping the stick too much as he knew in 2 mins he was back to skating around the rink with guys half his talent.

Props to him for never complaining or saying a peep about his demotion. Obviously he has matured enough to be more of a team guy and work on his game. He is a top 6 centre on many team... unfortunately not ours and he isnt a winger.
He never complained except in the way he played last yr .

I think Kadri needed a wake up call.

He has a burr up his ass this yr

Last yr I thought he had lost a step but maybe he wasn't giving it his all because he didn't like his
role ?

I only wish Dubas has gotten a better return

I like kerfoot but a controllable dman is what I was looking for.

Barrie not so much. I really hope he is traded at the deadline for a top pick

Trade the pick and Johnson for a controllable defensive dman with some bite to play with Rielly . Morgan doesn't look the same since Hainsey left .

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

We also lost because they were and are a good team.

Favoured to win that series. And every series prior.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I didnt have an issue on Kadri sticking up for his team-mate on that hit but out of all the hits, that's the one you cross check a guy in the face for? And yes, the Leafs can absolutely beat the Bruins. Do people forget how this team pushes the Bruins to 7, matches them in hits, and scores at a similar pace? Or are we just accepting that everything Boston does is elite and we should accept defeat? People make it seem like they sweep us every year, meanwhile, they outplay us by a period or two. The Bruins are a team that gets away with murder, if the refs did their job then we come out last year on top. The officiating was disgusting last year and before that. That's not an excuse, but it's pretty evident there was a double standard. The league just doesnt call penalties against the Leafs opposition. The proof is in the numbers.

Last year we were +7 in terms of PPs we got vs times short handed.

We were the 9th best team in the league in that regard. Top 1/3.

If “proof is in the numbers” you need a different theory.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You don't step up by doing dumb things that cost the team. There's plenty of ways to do that in a way that arguably benefits the team. All the players on all the teams that people praise for this finds ways to do it within the rules of the game. Kadri didn't.

As for your last comment, the thing that sunk us was our PK. It had nothing to do with getting pushed around. In fact, in the minutes where such pushing around would occur, that is even strength, we were the better team. If our PK didn't absolutely implode, we probably win that series in 5-6 games.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Kadri is doing well now but I wonder how much he'll keep that up. For someone who has been a strong play driver all his career, he looks pretty bad in that regard now. His micro stats look pretty bad as well if I remember correctly, so he's not driving play or creating offense like he used to. I see some regression coming there. And Kerfoot has really just struggled coming back from his injury, and I suspect that he'll narrow that gap over the rest of the season.

My bet is still that after his four years are up, the conversation between him and Kadri in terms of value will be close. If Barrie can be a useful piece for us, or can bring in something good at the TDL, then that trade is still a win for us.

I just have a feeling that his second suspension cost him a place on this team, no matter what Dubas says. There were rumors that the team didn't even want him around afterwards, which is a clear sign that his time is up.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri is doing well now but I wonder how much he'll keep that up. For someone who has been a strong play driver all his career, he looks pretty bad in that regard now. His micro stats look pretty bad as well if I remember correctly, so he's not driving play or creating offense like he used to. I see some regression coming there. And Kerfoot has really just struggled coming back from his injury, and I suspect that he'll narrow that gap over the rest of the season.

My bet is still that after his four years are up, the conversation between him and Kadri in terms of value will be close. If Barrie can be a useful piece for us, or can bring in something good at the TDL, then that trade is still a win for us.

I just have a feeling that his second suspension cost him a place on this team, no matter what Dubas says. There were rumors that the team didn't even want him around afterwards, which is a clear sign that his time is up.

It’s almost as if a blip became a trend ;)

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
He would have been a perennial 30 goal guy here if our depth didn't push him down.

I knew he would do well on a new team and wish him nothing but the best. He was the only one of our players who showed any balls in that last series, and although it did cost us with the suspension, I will always remember him for that.

The trade itself isn't bad, Barrie is looking alright now and Kerfoot is ok at what he does. We need to get some bottom six grit though. Its ridiculous how soft we are. I don't know what it would take to get a guy like Kassian or similar; we have all the hard to get pieces (top 6 offence) and lack the cheaper parts. Its odd actually.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
In Game 6 against the Bruins last season the Leafs were up 3-2 and Morgan Rielly scored the first goal of that game giving them a 1-0 lead. So by all accounts they should have won that game and the series.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Agreed... Kadri generally had two temperments, one was average physicality and the other one was loose cannon. Kadri was not even pesky. Johnsson is more of a pest then Kadri.

Any day of the week id take Barrie and Kerfoot. Hell id probably straight up take just Barrie. I just wish we had one more year of Barrie.

Very happy Kadri vetoed the brodie + 1 point jankowski deal.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
What? There is absolutely no chance we trade Barrie at the deadline.
Well that’s pretty foolish then if we aren’t resigning him. Is there a person here who actually thinks Barrie is the difference for this team? I sure don’t and his need to be sheltered isn’t something I relish come playoff time, despite what he did last year. He’s been fine of late, but maximize the asset don’t let him walk for nothing.

I’d trade him in a heartbeat for the right return. At least be open to it. I think Lil is now ready too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well that’s pretty foolish then if we aren’t resigning him. Is there a person here who actually thinks Barrie is the difference for this team? I sure don’t and his need to be sheltered isn’t something I relish come playoff time, despite what he did last year. He’s been fine of late, but maximize the asset don’t let him walk for nothing.

I’d trade him in a heartbeat for the right return. At least be open to it. I think Lil is now ready too.
How much do you realistically think the Leafs could get for Barrie, assuming they were not in playoff contention at the trade deadline? Since he will be a UFA are they going to get a 1st round pick and a teams top prospect?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
How much do you realistically think the Leafs could get for Barrie, assuming they were not in playoff contention at the trade deadline? Since he will be a UFA are they going to get a 1st round pick and a teams top prospect?
No way a 1st but a 2nd or a good prospect seems reasonable. He’s still attractive for a offensive starved team.

I don’t like the Kadri trade if he walks for nothing. I like Kerfoot, but a one year Barrie rental, makes it a low return imho.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina

So right. I am sure there is more blame to go around ... but Kadri neutralizing our center depth with an idiot play ranks at #1 on the blame board.
I said it that night: Why couldn't Kadri just hit him or instigate a fight? Whats with the weak ass swordsmanship?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I like Barrie. The real Barrie. So I'm fine with this trade.

However, what would have made me keep Kadri is this:

Kadri-Matthews-Nylander

Kerfoot isn't playing well. Engvall and Mik are carrying him. You can throw any average 3C there right now and they'll be fine. The reason I say this is because we don't need to be 3C deep when your wingers do so much work. Just put someone cheap and competent there, like a Glendening.

This is easy to say in hindsight though. We badly needed transition from the back end and we were all sold on one of AJ or Kap hitting another level. That didn't happen. Not even close actually.

I pull the trigger on this trade 10 / 10 in the off-season. Hindsight answer: Kadri

Conclusion: Fair trade. Nobody fleeced.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would also include Babcock playing Hyman despite having a torn ACL. Hell in Game 6 he had him taking a defensive zone face off while on the penalty kill, he lost it and seconds later the Bruins scored tying the game. If anyone else takes that draw maybe the Leaf win it and kill that penalty.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I would also include Babcock playing Hyman despite having a torn ACL. Hell in Game 6 he had him taking a defensive zone face off while on the penalty kill, he lost it and seconds later the Bruins scored tying the game. If anyone else takes that draw maybe the Leaf win it and kill that penalty.

Hyman had a 20% faceoff win rate on the PK. Why not give the best PP in the league free possession on 80% of the time, what could go wrong? Too bad we didn't have two elite centers who are animals in the faceoff circle or anything.

Reactions: LeafsNation75
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad