Kadri on pace for a 30 goal/60 point season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 27, 2005
Well that’s pretty foolish then if we aren’t resigning him. Is there a person here who actually thinks Barrie is the difference for this team? I sure don’t and his need to be sheltered isn’t something I relish come playoff time, despite what he did last year. He’s been fine of late, but maximize the asset don’t let him walk for nothing.

I’d trade him in a heartbeat for the right return. At least be open to it. I think Lil is now ready too.

If we didn't trade Gardiner last year or Bozak and JVR the year before we certainly aren't trading Barrie. You might not like him but we need him.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
So right. I am sure there is more blame to go around ... but Kadri neutralizing our center depth with an idiot play ranks at #1 on the blame board.
I said it that night: Why couldn't Kadri just hit him or instigate a fight? Whats with the weak ass swordsmanship?

If he's going to make a dumb hit, why do it against someone who doesn't matter? Take Debrusk out for a few games and who really cares? I'd understand if Kadri took a run at Marchand or something at least.

But yeah, there were a million ways to stand up for whatever has people's panties in a bunch without getting suspended.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If he's going to make a dumb hit, why do it against someone who doesn't matter? Take Debrusk out for a few games and who really cares? I'd understand if Kadri took a run at Marchand or something at least.

But yeah, there were a million ways to stand up for whatever has people's panties in a bunch without getting suspended.
Was it not DeBrusk who went after Kadri earlier with a knee on knee or something like that? Not using that as an excuse, it’s just what I remember.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Was it not DeBrusk who went after Kadri earlier with a knee on knee or something like that? Not using that as an excuse, it’s just what I remember.

Yeah I mean it makes sense for Debrusk, you either take a better player than you to the box for 5 or you get him suspended. Kadri should know better, it's not the first time Boston targeted his little temper tantrums.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah I mean it makes sense for Debrusk, you either take a better player than you to the box for 5 or you get him suspended. Kadri should know better, it's not the first time Boston targeted his little temper tantrums.
The refs were also a problem not calling anything on the Bruins. In the 2018 series Marner got hit from behind into the boards which went uncalled and it was Kadri who seconds later does his hit which got him suspended for 3 games.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If we didn't trade Gardiner last year or Bozak and JVR the year before we certainly aren't trading Barrie. You might not like him but we need him.
Can’t keep doing that, your list is a good one. This year we have two kids we KNOW are playing next year so there is a logic to getting them some time this season.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Leafs nation in a nutshell. We must win every trade by a landslide or people climb onto the ledge. Lol. We needed a culture change. JVR, Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf, Uncle Leo, Kadri gone. See a trend? Kadri was great for us, when available. Sadly his availability costed him and the Leafs the last 2 postseasons.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs nation in a nutshell. We must win every trade by a landslide or people climb onto the ledge. Lol. We needed a culture change. JVR, Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf, Uncle Leo, Kadri gone. See a trend? Kadri was great for us, when available. Sadly his availability costed him and the Leafs the last 2 postseasons.
I think in terms of last years postseason it was at least half of Babcock’s decisions that cost them the series against Boston. After all they were up 3-2 going into Game 6 back in Toronto, without Kadri in the lineup.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Well that’s pretty foolish then if we aren’t resigning him. Is there a person here who actually thinks Barrie is the difference for this team? I sure don’t and his need to be sheltered isn’t something I relish come playoff time, despite what he did last year. He’s been fine of late, but maximize the asset don’t let him walk for nothing.

I’d trade him in a heartbeat for the right return. At least be open to it. I think Lil is now ready too.

Well why would they have made that trade in the first place if they thought like this? Makes no sense.

He's been playing more or less as intended since the coaching change.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I think in terms of last years postseason it was at least half of Babcock’s decisions that cost them the series against Boston. After all they were up 3-2 going into Game 6 back in Toronto, without Kadri in the lineup.

They lost by a game, so you can blame whatever you like from a list of things that went wrong. Both of those things you mentioned are on it.

Reactions: unitedstars87

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Trading Kadri was about the future, not the present (this season).

The Leafs were not ever never ever ever in a million years never going to re-sign Kadri.

it would be completely impossible with how much they’ve allocated to Tavares and Matthews.

So they opted to get something for him now rather than use up the contract and let him walk for nothing.

Furthermore, this trade is working great, with Barrie posting career-worst (or nearly) stats in a contract season, good chance this drives down the cap hit when the Leafs do re-sign him.

Then ideally he has a bounce-back season next year.

And Kerfoot is doing an amazing job for what he was brought in to do. That’s be a good 3C at 4C money. Nothing more.

Kadri was a 2C and anyone with a molecule of hockey sense knew that. It was and is all about the money.

Reactions: Koolboss

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Boston was so stupid for playing McAvoy in playoff #1D minutes straight out of college. Imagine McAvoy and some 2nd rounder like Carlo playing serious minutes on a contender as rookies, they'd probably miss the playoffs.
I’m not sure if what you’re presenting supports or detracts from my point. Next year will have two raw rookies on our backend, that seems an assumed certainty, unless we get them some time this year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I’m not sure if what you’re presenting supports or detracts from my point. Next year will have two raw rookies on our backend, that seems an assumed certainty, unless we get them some time this year.

I think they will be fine. Both playing at high levels in the AHL, so it's not like they are coming out of Junior or the SEL/FEL.

If Toronto can't keep Muzz, it would be something like:

Rielly - UFA/trade
Sandin - Holl
Dermott - Liljegren

Ideally, Leafs acquire a top pairing RD between now and then, which would really change the long term outlook of the D.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

If the goal is to continue the playoff chase you do not trade from your roster unless it is to match or add.
I have wondered if we would be better with a Hamonic type instead of Barrie to pair with Reilly but our PP looks awesome with Barrie as the QB.

*And OP should update the title as Kadri is now on pace for 25 goals.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Ya, go with two rookies on the backend next year, that’s wise. Said no one ever....
If the leafs did wise things we would have rebuilt starting after the lock out. Instead we wasted 3 years before a retool and then another 4 years with that. I think he's got next 3 years line ups penciled in with those 2 rookies in it at almost minimum wage. I think was part of the leafs salary cap crunch plans. Not saying it is a good hockey idea but it'd be good business idea and I believe the leafs will pick business over hockey for those 2 dmen.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Ya, go with two rookies on the backend next year, that’s wise. Said no one ever....

I can see how it seems like a big step to take for a team looking to contend in a big way. The defenders in question are well regarded, former first rounders though. Much will depend on how the pairs are utilized as well. Do we continue with a top four and bottom two, or aim for a major acquisition to pair with Rielly and lean on them considerably? A (bottom) pairing of Sandin-Liljegren could work out just fine, IMO.

Reactions: DarkKnight

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Seems pretty much unanimous that Av fans love the trade.

Confirmed with Link: - COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Curious, why are threads on this board closed at 1000 posts when other boards leave them open well past that?

I blame it on Bettman.

Thought we were still blaming Babcock for everything?

Wish Jeffler would chime in so we can know what's right.

I think it's Babcock for anything performance related and Bettman for anything off ice.

I thought we were also throwing blame at the refs and Jacobs? They should get at least some of the blame.

Reactions: egd27 and ACC1224

Kingstondude84

Dec 22, 2019
I miss Kadri and the people who called him selfish get a pair of glasses their was nothing selfish about those two hits. Both were standing up for his teammates. He wanted to be a Leaf and still bleeds blue and white.

I got to disagree on this- The first one I guess you could say he was sticking up for Marner, but dude went about it all the wrong way. Second hit was Kadri being selfish, he had beef with Debrusk, the Marleau hit had nothing to do with tbh.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Don’t care
He plays for another team and hasn’t been with us for this season
He’s a rival now
Let’s move on now
Accident is all cleaned up and towed away
Also it’s game day
We are trying to get into the playoffs
We are in a roll