TSN Radio Kadri odd man out?

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
Kadri is a very important player for us. If we didn’t have him right now, with Matthews out, our centre depth behind Tavares would be a s***show. You don’t trade a two-way centre that can matchup against opposing top lines who also happens to have back-to-back 30 goal seasons, and is on an absolute steal of a contract to top it off. We don’t know what Nylander’s ceiling will ultimately be but I would take everything I just said about Kadri over a 60 point winger.

Also, you can say what you want about Kadri’s production with and without Marner, but who do you think Nylander gets to play with?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kadri is a very important player for us. If we didn’t have him right now, with Matthews out, our centre depth behind Tavares would be a s***show. You don’t trade a two-way centre that can matchup against opposing top lines who also happens to have back-to-back 30 goal seasons, and is on an absolute steal of a contract to top it off. We don’t know what Nylander’s ceiling will ultimately be but I would take everything I just said about Kadri over a 60 point winger.

Also, you can say what you want about Kadri’s production with and without Marner, but who do you think Nylander gets to play with?

Kadri is MIA in the playoffs. Until that changes, I raise my eyebrows at you sir.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018

Trade Kadri. Sell high. Kadri doesn’t do anything special that can’t be replaced within. Well maybe his mouth...Nylander is a high end High ceiling talent. With Mathews and Tavares being solid 2 way Centers they both can match up against top lines and you can shelter Nylander at center. And if you don’t want him playing center you can load a line and put him on the wing. His possession stats are good as a winger they will be even better with him playing center

Reactions: Pookie

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
At this time Nylander should be traded and get as much as we can in return, to help the team now.

Kadri will be back as the 3rd line center as soon as Mathews returns and as we have seen he has filled in for Matthews when he was injured however the 3rd line under Lindholm has performed well and has been effective, brown and he work well together and Johnsson has looked better too but put Kadri back on that line and it should be pretty effective.

I think we should keep Kadri as our 3rd line center but he may be traded but only if a great trade that favors us happens.

Any player can be traded however it depends on the return.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Trade Kadri. Sell high. Kadri doesn’t do anything special that can’t be replaced within. Well maybe his mouth...Nylander is a high end High ceiling talent. With Mathews and Tavares being solid 2 way Centers they both can match up against top lines and you can shelter Nylander at center. And if you don’t want him playing center you can load a line and put him on the wing. His possession stats are good as a winger they will be even better with him playing center

How high do you think his value is? Do you have a realistic proposition that would make us a better team or do you just want him (and "his mouth") gone?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If the Leafs hope to keep Nylander long-term than it very well might force Kadri out for Cap reasons.

For years I'v thought if you package Kadri with Gardiner you could get a very good return and perhaps pry a top pairing Dman loose from another team.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If the Leafs hope to keep Nylander long-term than it very well might force Kadri out for Cap reasons.

For years I'v thought if you package Kadri with Gardiner you could get a very good return and perhaps pry a top pairing Dman loose from another team.

That is the only scenario where I would definitely trade Kadri but instead of Gardiner, I would look at dealing Marleau only because of his age and uncertain future with the Leafs, Marleau is a great player and still plays at a high level but to re-sign all our best players, I would try to trade him and a west coast team would likely give up a good player to get him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That is the only scenario where I would definitely trade Kadri but instead of Gardiner, I would look at dealing Marleau only because of his age and uncertain future with the Leafs, Marleau is a great player and still plays at a high level but to re-sign all our best players, I would try to trade him and a west coast team would likely give up a good player to get him.

There is only 1 team where Marleau might waive his NMC for and that is San Jose for obvious reasons including retiring with his original team.

My thinking on the Kadri + Gardiner (subject to extension with new team) for OEL in Arizona.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
There is only 1 team where Marleau might waive his NMC for and that is San Jose for obvious reasons including retiring with his original team.

My thinking on the Kadri + Gardiner (subject to extension with new team) for OEL in Arizona.

I like OEL as much as the next guy, but you can't move one of our best bargain deals in Kadri, and add a D making 8.25M in addition to whatever you can get Nylander to agree to. It doesn't work.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

I agree OEL would be a great player to get but I'm not sure Arizona will trade him, as matter of fact, if I remember correctly that they stated they wouldn't trade him but one never knows, things change.

I like Gardiner he does foul up once in a while but he still plays a good game, over all, I think our D is rounding into shape and we have several players on the Marlies that could make the team next year.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

You don't just trade a player when his value is high, if that was the mode of operation when anyone was playing at their peak they would be traded. Do we have a replacement for him that can play 17 min a night and score 30ish goals on the 3rd line? The person or people we get back will their contribution either score as much or reduce the goals against by 30ish goals? Will the people or person we get back have a cap hit at or around the same as Kadri?

The Leafs clearly have a philosophy that they are willing to let assets go for nothing, JVR, Bozak, Polok, Komarov if it means the team is better today.

When you say he does nothing special that can't be replaced from within, I assume you have identified a 30 goal , 3rd line center that we currently have that is not playing in the bigs? Who is that?

So the suggestion is we are currently without a 40 goal score, some people want to trade Willie a 20 goal scorer and the suggestion is we trade a 30 goal scorer? So we trade away or lose 90 goals with no apparent heir apparent to replace those goals? Man November and December would be a rough months.

Reactions: 1specter

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

The yotes don't make that deal. They just named him captain while giving him a fresh new contract and the value isn't in their favour as well.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Terrible post and im not surprised by the person that liked it.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Some teams just play their top guys like crazy every night, and thus don't need much from lines 3 and 4. Florida, Winnipeg, Colorado, for example.

But Babcock doesn't like to roll that way, and neither do a lot of other teams. PIT, for example, likes to have a quality #3C even behind Crosby and Malkin. So I don't think Babcock would be happy to get rid of Kadri. I can't blame him. That mean's he's not the odd one out, and he isn't expendable.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
How high do you think his value is? Do you have a realistic proposition that would make us a better team or do you just want him (and "his mouth") gone?
Considering his cap hit, production previous years and remaining term I would say very high. And no i don’t have a proposal

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
You don't just trade a player when his value is high, if that was the mode of operation when anyone was playing at their peak they would be traded. Do we have a replacement for him that can play 17 min a night and score 30ish goals on the 3rd line? The person or people we get back will their contribution either score as much or reduce the goals against by 30ish goals? Will the people or person we get back have a cap hit at or around the same as Kadri?

The Leafs clearly have a philosophy that they are willing to let assets go for nothing, JVR, Bozak, Polok, Komarov if it means the team is better today.

When you say he does nothing special that can't be replaced from within, I assume you have identified a 30 goal , 3rd line center that we currently have that is not playing in the bigs? Who is that?

So the suggestion is we are currently without a 40 goal score, some people want to trade Willie a 20 goal scorer and the suggestion is we trade a 30 goal scorer? So we trade away or lose 90 goals with no apparent heir apparent to replace those goals? Man November and December would be a rough months.

Kadri > Nylander. Nylander is the replacement with a much higher ceiling.

And looking at his “30 goals” means nothing. He’s small, slow, doesn’t drive his line, negative plus minus and doesn’t even play on the power play. So if your looking at his 30 goals and giving up more goals which negates the ones he’s scored what are you actually left with?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

:facepalm:

Reactions: stickty111 and Al14

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
so pay nylander 8 million trade kadri for a high end D who is gonig to ask for around 8 million too and then when the cap bits on the ass who do you trade next? rielly because his value is high and is signed to a great deal?

okay............

:shakehead
If kadri had to go to keep Nylander I do it. And your logic to trade for a high end d seeking 8M? Clearly isn’t going to work. You look for value and term which is what your giving up

Comparing Reilly to kadri... Apples to oranges

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If kadri had to go to keep Nylander I do it. And your logic to trade for a high end d seeking 8M? Clearly isn’t going to work. You look for value and term which is what your giving up

Comparing Reilly to kadri... Apples to oranges

LOL this is the dumbest thing I've heard today. Glad you are not the GM of the Leafs

Kadri out 4.5M
equal value in 4.5M (assuming this exists)

Nylander 8 million

WTF did you even do? one can achieve the same result by keeping kadri and giving nylander 8 million dollars and screwing the cap. LOL

Seriously LOL

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
So you just want him gone, got it. I'm glad you're not running the team, not much else to say really.
If it means keeping Nylander yes.

Why do I need to make a proposal? Since you want one here it is.
I propose you run the team since you know so much. Not much else to say really

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad