TSN Radio Kadri odd man out?

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Reactions: bikemike66

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Well....Kadri is 28 years old. It's an obvious choice if you were truly forced to choose between the two. Nylander is already a 60 point player and hasn't even finished developing.

The second statement is correct and just a fact. For what he offers, Kadri's contract is a steal and makes him appealing to all teams... including us.

We're not in a position to have to choose between the two so shouldn't be a worry... however if Kadri can get you the top 4 D and you get to keep Nylander, I am confident no GM in the league chooses to expose of Nylander instead.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Darren Dreger stirring nuggets again this morning

https://www.tsn.ca/video/an-nhl-executive-s-theory-could-kadri-be-the-odd-man-out-in-toronto~1524159

So he thinks it makes sense to trade the 30 goal scoring centre with great cap hit in order to keep the 20 goal scoring winger with a much bigger cap hit?

And Colaiacovo agrees that the cap hit makes him appealing to other teams.

"you're absolutely right" :ha::huh::help:
What's the confusion?
I wouldn't want to see Kadri moved but at his cap hit he would be appealing to other teams.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
What's the confusion?
I wouldn't want to see Kadri moved but at his cap hit he would be appealing to other teams.

If we are trading because of cap issues, we wouldn't trade our best caphit/production player

Plus unlike Nylander he has a ntc

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If we are trading because of cap issues, we wouldn't trade our best caphit/production player

Plus unlike Nylander he has a ntc
I guess they would have to balance that against the potential return.
"Wouldn't" is too definite, more like 'it's doubtful'.

Reactions: diceman934

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
From the Leaf perspective, is Kadri the player you trade if the motivation is cap space? From the other team's perspective, can they take on that contract without sending salary back? Think the Leafs would look elsewhere on the roster first.

We don't really have a ready replacement for him either. Nylander would figure to be even more expensive for the role, don't see Marleau making sense there full-time, and Lindholm might not have that ceiling, in addition to this being too early to contemplate that anyway.

Last edited:

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Trade the guy who took a team friendly deal grew up in the area and bleeds blue and white. Keep the guy who demands to be overpaid who is influenced by a hired gun primarily (solely?) motivated by money. Sure.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Well....Kadri is 28 years old. It's an obvious choice if you were truly forced to choose between the two. Nylander is already a 60 point player and hasn't even finished developing.

The second statement is correct and just a fact. For what he offers, Kadri's contract is a steal and makes him appealing to all teams... including us.

We're not in a position to have to choose between the two so shouldn't be a worry... however if Kadri can get you the top 4 D and you get to keep Nylander, I am confident no GM in the league chooses to expose of Nylander instead.

I don't think it's a choice between Nylander and Kadri but with Gardiner also looking for a new contract cap issue could possibly play into the scenario.

I think Marleau may be asked to release the Leafs from the NMC and as his contract was front loaded he is only getting 1.5 mill, which could make other teams take notice Patrick Marleau

I'm not sure he would be re-signed here or just retire but at 39 he is still a viable player but cap and time may be a deciding factor, his calming effect and veteran presence for Matthews and other players, can't be over stated?

Reactions: Havoc

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You're trying to save money. Zaitsev is easily replaceable at his salary and value. Kadri is not.
For fun lets play the next few games without Gardiner/Hainsey and Zaitsev.
I don't think he's easily replaceable when you have nothing to replace.
I don't want to move Kadri either but depending on how much you commit to Nylander, then the other 2, will you be letting Gardiner walk?
At some point, people will have to go. Maybe more than 1.
If you can't afford Kadri and Zaitsev at 4 million each, you're paying too much in other places.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Trade the guy who took a team friendly deal grew up in the area and bleeds blue and white. Keep the guy who demands to be overpaid who is influenced by a hired gun primarily (solely?) motivated by money. Sure.
If I remember correctly, the Kadri household cheered for the Bleu, blanc et rouge when Nazem was growing up. I think his Dad would be thrilled if his son was traded to the Habs!

So, sure, he bleeds blue and white for now, but, I'm sure there's still a hint of red in there too. ;)

Reactions: JayDog17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->