Kadri discussion thread after his 30th goal - now featuring 60 points!

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

This goal was my absolute favourite of last season. Remember the game, how I felt when Kadri did this, the ******** on here after.

It was amazing, all of it.

Such a fantastic OT winner. What hold? :yo: That's called a strong arm and will to win.

Kadri should be one of the most loved Leafs. Is he our first homegrown great player since Kaberle that wasn't traded? Guy gives off vibes of Tucker for me, just a bit. He's a pure Leaf to me and deserves so much more respect for what he's bringing from Leafs fans. Hate all the trade talk he's been involved in from Leafs fans.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I was always a supporter of Kadri, even when people kept wanting to trade him, etc..and the same people ***** once they see him go and he put up a 30/30 season, while playing 200 ft of the ice, and blame management.

Taras

Oct 17, 2012
Toronto
Holy hell... look at all these Kadri lovers all of a sudden... what happened to trading him and Gardiner for a 3rd?

Support your damn players! Even if they take some time to develop!

Edit: oh wait... I forgot his absolute overpayment of a contract... wtf happened to that now? How is that contract looking now...???

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I was never a huge Kadri fan or a Kadri hater. I felt early on he was a bit of a dangler who would project like a Mike Ribeiro. Nothing wrong with that but nothing to get overly excited about.

He has elevated his game and met the challenge head on that management has given him. He's equal parts skill and sandpaper. We need him and I'm very glad we have him.

Last edited:

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Kadri is the glue that holds the rhubarb line together.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Love how Kadri blatantly said I know I left money on the table to play here. He is like the opposite of that Stamkos guy. Kinda funny how that worked out with Toronto likely having better odds of capturing cups from here on out.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Love how Kadri blatantly said I know I left money on the table to play here. He is like the opposite of that Stamkos guy. Kinda funny how that worked out with Toronto likely having better odds of capturing cups from here on out.

You definitely got that right, sire. Kadri makes us real and better like juicy J makes three six so real too. I mean Project pat and DJ Paul are are the trues, but still: We all need real men out here. The threes is what makes them so treal. Kadri with Komarov was so treal last season already. They play against the best, and still score-a-lot-records. That's true right there. We are Kadri's team in so many beautiful ways.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Ideally he's the #2C when Bozak and JVR are traded.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Hyman - X - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Martin

Juicy

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Ideally he's the #2C when Bozak and JVR are traded.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
Hyman - X - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Martin

Juicy

Our offensive potential is insane. But that third line isn't skilled enough. Our balanced top 9 (vs the old school top 6 bottom 6) is what made us successful this past season

And Leivo is gonna slot in there somewhere. Still think he's part of the future. His time will come

Last edited:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Kadri has had a pretty intense career in my opinion.

He comes into his first training camp and dazzles. Seriously the guy impressed...

Then for some weird, strange reason; Wilson rips him in the media, knowing that Toronto is a pressure cooker of a market. He clearly destroy's the kid's confidence, while explaining his personal and professional flaws to the Toronto media. WHY? While I believe you need skill, I am a full believer success is all mental. Wilson is a ****ing disgrace.

Then Wilson gets canned (thank god) and Kadri puts up 44 points in 48 games (lock out) He probably would have put up 70 points, which would look great on a resume.

He regressed the following year scoring 20-30 for 50 points.

Then he had a couple poor years offensively, as he really turned to the defensive side of the game, in which he actually really improved a lot.

Then the leafs sign him to a discount at only 4.5 million.

He then blows up and as a HUGE year. 30 + goals, 30 + assists.

Then he see's the leafs shell out 6.5 million to Patrick Marleau after clearly signing a huge discount deal, he see's the leafs overpay for someone not even in the same tier offensively OR defensively as him.

If i'm Kadri I would be really pissed off at his career. He's been way to good of a player. While he's finally respected now, he could easily be considered a branded name in hockey.

He's not a #1 but he should be considered in the Logan Couture, David Krecji tier in my honest opinion.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Kadri was a kid that walked into a Kessel-era Leafs team and witnessed their behavior.
He was managing to get suspended by the team and the league. He was a goof-ball.
Lock-out season had new coach Randy Carlyle giving Kadri the easiest match-ups all season. Some felt they were intentionally trying to inflate his stats for trade purposes.
He has 145 career assists in 408 games. He's slightly selfish with the puck and doesn't use his wingers enough. This fact alone has always kept him one notch below Bozak despite being more talented. You can get >.6 pt/game out of him, but his line as a whole won't flourish offensively. You can't really say any winger has had much chemistry with him. If he's your team's 2nd line center, you have to realize two of your wingers are not going to have career years. This new role suits him very well though. Although I think he might be one of the least respected players in the league, which he uses to his advantage in drawing penalties. Overall, the love, hate, salary is all about where it should be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri was a kid that walked into a Kessel-era Leafs team and witnessed their behavior.
He was managing to get suspended by the team and the league. He was a goof-ball.
Lock-out season had new coach Randy Carlyle giving Kadri the easiest match-ups all season. Some felt they were intentionally trying to inflate his stats for trade purposes.
He has 145 career assists in 408 games. He's slightly selfish with the puck and doesn't use his wingers enough. This fact alone has always kept him one notch below Bozak despite being more talented. You can get >.6 pt/game out of him, but his line as a whole won't flourish offensively. You can't really say any winger has had much chemistry with him. If he's your team's 2nd line center, you have to realize two of your wingers are not going to have career years. This new role suits him very well though. Although I think he might be one of the least respected players in the league, which he uses to his advantage in drawing penalties. Overall, the love, hate, salary is all about where it should be.

No, his salary is a huge bargain for the Leafs. And LOL at Kadri being a notch below Bozak. :laugh::laugh:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

That's a curious thing to say. Lupul, Komarov, and Brown have all put up career years with Kadri.

When Kadri is on the ice, his teams generate massive amounts of shots, and it's not because Kadri is a high volume shooter.

Kadri's no magical passer, but his complete game is no doubt a boon to his linemates.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
This goal was my absolute favourite of last season. Remember the game, how I felt when Kadri did this, the ******** on here after.

It was amazing, all of it.

Such a fantastic OT winner. What hold? :yo: That's called a strong arm and will to win.

Kadri should be one of the most loved Leafs. Is he our first homegrown great player since Kaberle that wasn't traded? Guy gives off vibes of Tucker for me, just a bit. He's a pure Leaf to me and deserves so much more respect for what he's bringing from Leafs fans. Hate all the trade talk he's been involved in from Leafs fans.

A great goal, maybe the best of his career, and a great game up 'til that moment as well. I was down on Kadri in the seasons following the lockout but now I can see him being our Bergeron.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kadri has had a pretty intense career in my opinion.

He comes into his first training camp and dazzles. Seriously the guy impressed...

Then for some weird, strange reason; Wilson rips him in the media, knowing that Toronto is a pressure cooker of a market. He clearly destroy's the kid's confidence, while explaining his personal and professional flaws to the Toronto media. WHY? While I believe you need skill, I am a full believer success is all mental. Wilson is a ****ing disgrace.

Then Wilson gets canned (thank god) and Kadri puts up 44 points in 48 games (lock out) He probably would have put up 70 points, which would look great on a resume.

offensive linemates and sheltered minutes

He regressed the following year scoring 20-30 for 50 points.

Santorelli/ (and then Mayson Raymond) and Winnik as line mate(s) with a dose of Orr thrown in unsheltered minutes while Bozak line was starting to get sheltered in Carlyle era (same with Babs now)

Then he had a couple poor years offensively, as he really turned to the defensive side of the game, in which he actually really improved a lot.

Then the leafs sign him to a discount at only 4.5 million.

He then blows up and as a HUGE year. 30 + goals, 30 + assists.

Then he see's the leafs shell out 6.5 million to Patrick Marleau after clearly signing a huge discount deal, he see's the leafs overpay for someone not even in the same tier offensively OR defensively as him.

If i'm Kadri I would be really pissed off at his career. He's been way to good of a player. While he's finally respected now, he could easily be considered a branded name in hockey.

He's not a #1 but he should be considered in the Logan Couture, David Krecji tier in my honest opinion.

Bolded is some context. Also, judging a player like Kadri that played for the Leafs team under Carlyle/Wilson with a :facepalm: worthy Defense, abysmal goaltending with hardly any leadership in the locker room it is a friggen miracle that Naz has developed into a player that he is currently.

Kudos to new management (especially Shanny, Lou and Babs) and to Naz as well who put in the work and embraced his role.

Here is hoping for MORE improvements!!!! I am almost positive by the end of his contract that it would look like a STEAL of a contract (same with Mo IMHO).

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bozak was brought it to be this elite number 1 centre and its obvious he failed pretty bad. Was supposed to help Kessel but instead was a bad influence on him Kessel and the other wingers that played with him. Lupul's carrer is now done as a result of faceoff king. Lets hope Marner isnt badly influnced by Bozak. Its quite imteresting JVR shows better compete level with Kadri as his centre. Its why Bozak has always been less of a player than Kadri despite cheating on faceoffs a lot.
Bozak is in a good spot. The 3rd line Centre spot carried by wingers while Kadri plays higher in the lineup with a steal of a contract. Kadri is also a better passer who uses his wingers Bozak might make passes but again he wont help them out defensively.
Kadri is better than Bozak in all levels.
We have been a better ever since Kadri has played higher in the lineup. He drives play and also shows a good effort in the defensive zone. Kadri is also a terrific playmaker.

Bozak is a solid player but he needs elite wingers and is in a good position in the 3rd line C position.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Bozak was brought it to be this elite number 1 centre and its obvious he failed pretty bad. Was supposed to help Kessel but instead was a bad influence on him Kessel and the other wingers that played with him. Lupul's carrer is now done as a result of faceoff king. Lets hope Marner isnt badly influnced by Bozak. Its quite imteresting JVR shows better compete level with Kadri as his centre. Its why Bozak has always been less of a player than Kadri despite cheating on faceoffs a lot.
Bozak is in a good spot. The 3rd line Centre spot carried by wingers while Kadri plays higher in the lineup with a steal of a contract. Kadri is also a better passer who uses his wingers Bozak might make passes but again he wont help them out defensively.
We have been a better ever since Kadri has played higher in the lineup. He drives play and also shows a good effort in the defensive zone. Kadri is also a terrific playmaker.

Bozak is a solid player but he needs elite wingers and is in a good position in the 3rd line C position.

Bozak was never supposed to be elite. Even Burke called him a "top six forward" when he brought him in.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Bozak was brought it to be this elite number 1 centre

Wat????

Wat8.jpg

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Bozak was brought it to be this elite number 1 centre and its obvious he failed pretty bad.

Bozak was never supposed to be an elite number one center, no one had that expectation of him, when did you start following hockey?

Was supposed to help Kessel but instead was a bad influence on him Kessel and the other wingers that played with him. Lupul's carrer is now done as a result of faceoff king.

Bozak played with Kessel because they had chemistry, Bozak was hardly a bad influence on Kessel. What does Lupul being made of glass have to do with Bozak?

Lets hope Marner isnt badly influnced by Bozak. Its quite imteresting JVR shows better compete level with Kadri as his centre. Its why Bozak has always been less of a player than Kadri despite cheating on faceoffs a lot.

What are you on about? JVR shows compete in the offensive zone but he's terribly defensively with whoever he plays with. Don't forget JVR was taken off Kadri's wing because they didn't produce. I'm not sure where you get Bozak cheats on faceoffs from.

We played better because we injected three grade A prospects into the lineup, not because Kadri suddenly became amazing. He was on the team that finished dead last, in fact Kadri was our number 1 center that year.

Bozak is a solid player but he needs elite wingers and is in a good position in the 3rd line C position

JVR-Bozak-Marner isn't a third line.

Clearly no evidence that some people hate Bozak soley because he played with all of the wingers that Kadri deserved..

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I'd say you're a pretty damn good player if 39 points in 73 games, and 45 points in 76 can be considered poor offensive seasons.

And that's nevermind the context of how bad the teams were or his linemates during that time. His 45 point season was first on the team.

I mean, since making the NHL fulltime in 2012-13, Naz has never had a season point per game less than 0.5342, and has scored 17 or more goals every season.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I really like how he bought into Bab's transformation of him into a shutdown guy without losing his offensive touch. He put his ego aside and still put up really decent numbers given his role.

Leo is the perfect linemate for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad