Kadri benched for three games MOD warning #614

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't get how the Leafs could "quietly" scratch Kadri for 3 games without anyone asking questions .. Of course the media would prod and speculation would be even more rampant.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you say so. When people write obviously ridiculous reasons for something, I take it that they think there can't be serious ones. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

They might have dealt with it, but it resurfaced. So they dealt with it again, and it has resurfaced. So now they went all in. That's at least my take on it, and we know that they have been working on Kadri quite a lot before.

Fine, trade him. I don't want to know about his issues and I absolutely don't want to know about his ________ issues. For all I know that means he has gotten pissed off at coaches and had it out with them on several occasions... Or it could mean he has a drug problem... Or alcohol and gambling issues or who knows what else.

MLSE can **** off, they say this is most unlikable team, try organization.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
A least you get it. I am glad some people do here. This is appalling and so bush league it's not even funny.

The only way I can think of this makes sense, is if they want to keep him AND think that publicly embarrassing him will do the job and straighten him out. That just seems like such a stretch though.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. But I can't come up with one scenario that would justify this being handled like it has been. And if it is true that Kadri has "been a bad boy", then it's just awful news. Kadri and Rielly (MAYBE JVR) are the only players on our team that I can see playing a major role in a contending Leaf team say 5 years from now, if he's going to be gone AND we're going to get reduced value back for him in a trade, man that just sucks so bad. I don't know what these supposed issues are, being late once isn't the end of the world but these innuendoes ... I just with I knew WTF was going on here. Damn this s..tshow of a team. I'd like to think things will get better but instead, I'm starting to compare this organization to the Ballard years.

I'm not happy! :rant:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Fine, trade him. I don't want to know about his issues and I absolutely don't want to know about his ________ issues. For all I know that means he has gotten pissed off at coaches and had it out with them on several occasions... Or it could mean he has a drug problem... Or alcohol and gambling issues or who knows what else.

MLSE can **** off, they say this is most unlikable team, try organization.

I'm sorry, but your reaction to this might just be the biggest overreaction I've seen for as long as I've been here on the Leafs board.

I hope he can grow up and become a nice part for the future as I like Naz. I have no need to know the details. But I also have no problem with the management calling him out publicly if there are issues and he hasn't taken them seriously enough before.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you say so. When people write obviously ridiculous reasons for something, I take it that they think there can't be serious ones. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

They might have dealt with it, but it resurfaced. So they dealt with it again, and it has resurfaced. So now they went all in. That's at least my take on it, and we know that they have been working on Kadri quite a lot before.

Yes you clearly misunderstood me, no big deal let's move on OK?

well. this is the thing - and I think i wrote this a few pages ago.
Nazzy is a very cocky player and he thinks very high of himself and that has been there since day one. and while I think it's a good think when it's been harnessed properly (and we've seen it) he's always, always, needed to be knocked down a peg by management.

i think this happens a few times [in the league - Seguin is the one that automatically comes to mind] and I don't think it would decrease it.... not really. Not sure.

what would concern me more is- if Naz doesn't shape up. they can't keep him. the end, the Leafs simply can't afford to, because if youre salting & burning this bad bad team and trying to kill out blue and white disease, you can't keep Nazzy if he doesn't shape up. the stress in Shanahan's point is that they do see him as the future, management likes him, and they want to build around him if he can shape up. So I really hope he listens, and does it for his own personal sake.

I'm pretty sure he's not being benched for being cocky.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I don't get how the Leafs could "quietly" scratch Kadri for 3 games without anyone asking questions .. Of course the media would prod and speculation would be even more rampant.

It wouldn't have been the first time an NHL team lied about a player having an "injury". They say lower body injury and nobody bats an eye. They clearly wanted to embarrass Kadri as part of his punishment.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
It's important that all of our players are perceived as being locker room cancers and/or negative value players. How else could we continue the tradition of trading young players for nothing? This is just a stupid, shortsighted decision.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Guess some people owe the coach an apology.

There WAS more to this.

In the end, the future is up to player 43. Kids will be coming. Cheaper. Hungrier and maybe less baggage.

2Cs are replaceable.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It's important that all of our players are perceived as being locker room cancers and/or negative value players. How else could we continue the tradition of trading young players for nothing? This is just a stupid, shortsighted decision.

Trade would likely involve baggage for baggage. People don't give up the farm for other people's headaches and/or arbitration hearings.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Maybe. If, (and this is a big if as we really don't know what's happening) a player really has an attitude that bad, isn't responding to whatever they're doing internally ... what are the odds a guy like that ever changes? Slim IMO which means it makes sense to trade the guy instead of shaming him publicly and decreasing his trade value.

That does not have to be the case. Well I dont think a person ever make dramatic changes to his/her personality but people can get their act together after being told it is shape up or ship out. Especially when there is money to make and a career to save.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Especially after seeing him running into the building late a few days ago.

That's too simple & accurate for some to accept.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes you clearly misunderstood me, no big deal let's move on OK?

I'm pretty sure he's not being benched for being cocky.

no no, I don't. sorry. (I'm doing 15 miillion things at once) - i was actually writing out this thing and it wasn't fitting out and i deleted it but i didn't edit my statement.

:laugh: it would be something "Yah, they think i'm arrogant that's why i'm benched"

what i mean is, I think whatever he did, they're making it public so it can just chill out the hubris a bit so he can see that it IS a big deal.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
"We have told him if things go well he'll be available for Saturday's game against Vancouver," Shanahan said. "There's more to this obviously than if this was just a case of Nazem being 15 minutes late for a meeting one time. The easiest thing for us to do at this point would be to sweep this under the rug and put this off until the offseason to deal with it, but Nazem is an important part of our future.

"We like Nazem Kadri and his teammates like him. We expect a certain level of professionalism and it's time for him to start making better decisions. There is a history here and there comes a point where you've got to grow up. Nazem is 24 now. This is not a thing where we felt it would benefit him if we swept it under the rug."

This is to clear up two issues. The first is for people who keep harping this is too much for being late and saying they haven't seen anything to say it's more than him being late. Obviously being late isn't the reason as Shanny said it involves a whole lot more than that.

Secondly it's not for 3 games period. It's 3 games and then another decision will be made. If he doesn't handle it properly more could follow. Noting the storm when 1 became 3, can't imagine what will occur if they don't understand this and the 3 becomes 5 or more.

mikebel111*

Bob Mckenzie saying Kadri has a sense of entitlement issue. Listening to TSN Drive right now.

I think we all know that. I would even agree that
I dont care about self entitlement as long as you show improvement on the ice and we know he has been

So I say, keep being self entitled.
Kid will learn as its a strict warning

#beauty

stamkos

Jun 30, 2011
ontario gta
Even in his first year he talks to the press like he's a 10 year vet. Should of shut up. I like it, bench more. I want a top 3 pick, then trade him.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Odd approach here.

I guess if it's a history of incidents, then I agree with Shanny.

Tough to question the severity without knowing what the previous "incidents" were.

Naz needs to grow up. Still a great chance for a learning experience.

Have to think Kadri is definitely a part of future plans, or else letting this go public would be a silly mistake.

Amazed that people think NHL scouts and GMs get their news from mainstream media. Like this would be the first time any one whispered a thing about a player and a trade could be made in complete secrecy regarding one's character.

Teams know who they trade for and they likely don't rely on their subscription to the Toronto Star

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bob Mckenzie saying Kadri has a sense of entitlement issue. Listening to TSN Drive right now.

Bob was also saying that he is holding himself back from being a 1C or whatever the hell he was rambling about... We all know th truth, Bozak is holding him back because best friends forever.

mikebel111*

If they are right, that Kadri has a sense of entitlement issue, it is a very bad secret around the NHL.

Your acting like he is the one one that has it
Quit pretending every issue in the leafs starts and ends with Nazem Kadri

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think we all know that. I would even agree that
I dont care about self entitlement as long as you show improvement on the ice and we know he has been

So I say, keep being self entitled.
Kid will learn as its a strict warning

#beauty

Not sure what this even means. But there is structure in hockey. One can't be self entitled and make their own rules on a team where all are pulling in one direction, and one player is not. Hockey is a team sport, the best teams are ones where there is no entitlement, where the rules are the same for all.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm sorry, but your reaction to this might just be the biggest overreaction I've seen for as long as I've been here on the Leafs board.

I hope he can grow up and become a nice part for the future as I like Naz. I have no need to know the details. But I also have no problem with the management calling him out publicly if there are issues and he hasn't taken them seriously enough before.

It doesn't make sense to me. If a player is behaving in an inappropriate way, there are many steps you can take. Peer pressure, the Captain can talk to him, the assistant coaches, the coach, the GM, if all else fails, then the President can call him in for a serious talk. If all that fails, there is a problem with the organization as a whole, or the player or both. Bringing in the media is most likely to do nothing expect announce to the world that this player is a problem and kill his trade value.

LOL.

That does not have to be the case. Well I dont think a person ever make dramatic changes to his/her personality but people can get their act together after being told it is shape up or ship out. Especially when there is money to make and a career to save.

I agree, I just think the Toronto sports media is not the appropriate vehicle for this. See above for my explanation.

I will be happy, thrilled even to be proven wrong though. I like Kadri a lot as a player, and again I just wish I knew exactly WTF is going on.

mikebel111*

Bob was also saying that he is holding himself back from being a 1C or whatever the hell he was rambling about... We all know th truth, Bozak is holding him back because best friends forever.

He took a shot at Bozak?
I just gained a ton of respect for Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad