Kadri benched for three games MOD warning #614

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I hear you but I don't trust this management group to assess and apply discipline. Kadri is a talented player they may be mishandling. In the end I would take Kadri on this team over Horacek/Shanahan's "judgement".

Let the rats run the ship. That's the way all long term successful franchises steer their course.

It has been said by many since he arrived that Shanahan will try to mold the Leaf future on the Detroit blueprint. He started with management, then dumped the coach complained about by the players, replaced him with a guy who clearly is not intended for the actual job, he put the players on notice, he's decided from their putrid performance which young guys to hold on to and plans to ship out whomever from that other side he possibly can, and is now setting a standard for the future Leafs to uphold a la Detroit.

Those of you who want instant results will just have to keep ******** because this will be a step by step procedure leaving no stones unturned until this ship, which was totally out of control for so long, can be righted and steered straight.

I am not a real Leafs fan, but have been watching this show with Shanny since it began. I see it going according to long term plans so far and think the outcome will be pleasing, much in the same way Stevie Y has done in Tampa. If Tampa was TO, he would have been ripped every way but sideways with his moves which now look pretty smart. Shanny is in TO and he is getting the rip treatment, but he just keeps marching along one step at a time ignoring all outside input following his plan to make the Leafs a formiddable foe once again in the NHL. That hasn't been seen in a long time.

It appears he will have to get the Leafs back on top in spite of a large number of you. I read from many others in your camp that they think he's on the right path although don't necessarily see it all as clearly as Shanny does, but are willing to go along with his efforts so far.

Hoping it all comes together. The NHL needs Toronto back in the mix. It's good for the league and good for hockey.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not if Horachek believed that Shanny would make the ultimate call here, so he was intentionally vague as to Kadri's return date. "If I want him" was a hint that more was coming and Horachek at that point needed more time to digest it and decide punishment.

Don't forget that Horachek PC comment happened right after that practice and he was obviously annoyed at Kadri during that press conference and media scrum. This was before he had any chance to talk to Shanny about it also.

Ideally you like to keep it all in house but if Kadri said something to his coach that got him stirred up and it came out inadvertently that is why it all went public. A player being late to a meeting doesn't get anyone a 3 game suspension. So something went on behind closed doors that escalated this up the chain of command.

How are you interpreting "if I want him"?
Your timelines still don't work, the answer to the question would have been "no, he's not playing tonight" not "if I want him to". In your speculative situation Horacek had already spoken with Kadri and told him he isn't playing.

You keep going back to Shanny's input, but your situation has Horacek making a judgement on that nights line up already.

Shanny's input on how long doesn't come in to play for those questions.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
The CBA has situations that would allow a player not to be paid. In your example Harding likely broke his contract, which allowed them not to pay him. A team implemented suspension, especially one with a completely random suspension length, isn't likely to viewed the same way.

I expect the CBA has a set fine for being late to a meeting and that's what Kadri would have received.

I completely agree with the first paragraph, hence why Kadri is being a "healthy scratch" instead of suspended. It'd management who decided Kadri wasn't behaving well enough in their opinion, it wasn't the player not performing what was required from him in the CBA.

This is also what I think the originally quoted tweet was getting at. Its not something that is a written rule, but more an expectation that management (and possibly the NHL) has. This is why Kadri will keep getting payed.

The second paragraph I disagree. I doubt the CBA has a set fine for being late to meetings as that's probably set by the team. At most, the CBA would state that a player CAN be fined up to x amount for failure to live up to certain rules. Again, I doubt this is even in the CBA as its more a team decision instead of a players vs owners rule
This is far more likely to be included in a players contract with the team.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I completely agree with the first paragraph, hence why Kadri is being a "healthy scratch" instead of suspended. It'd management who decided Kadri wasn't behaving well enough in their opinion, it wasn't the player not performing what was required from him in the CBA.

This is also what I think the originally quoted tweet was getting at. Its not something that is a written rule, but more an expectation that management (and possibly the NHL) has. This is why Kadri will keep getting payed.

The second paragraph I disagree. I doubt the CBA has a set fine for being late to meetings as that's probably set by the team. At most, the CBA would state that a player CAN be fined up to x amount for failure to live up to certain rules. Again, I doubt this is even in the CBA as its more a team decision instead of a players vs owners rule
This is far more likely to be included in a players contract with the team.
The problem would be the owners invoking any fines they want to cut costs, so I'm sure there is some language on what is allowed, but you're right it may not be late =15k, etc...

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
S: Because after they were benched, they started playing great!

I understand what you're saying, I'm just thinking out loud. You have to consider the possibility that they would react by picking up their play which would increase their trade value. Though is would hurt the tank so ...

I'm not saying this should be done now (too late), but in principle, it seems wrong that the team has played so badly and nobody has been benched. Something (like benching that line) should have been done a long time ago IMO.

Remember, he fired the coach and told the players it's all on you now? They responded by sucking the bed. After that you want him to bench them for a game so they get the message? It is obvious to Shanny and the rest of the Leaf brass that the old core believe themselves to be above the law. If they want this to get them traded, it shall be done. If they think they are untouchable, I guess they'll have to wait and see.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
if the leafs were closing in on a playoff spot does kadri get 3 games?

this has to do with helping the tank. i can understand sending the kid home 1 day or playing on the 4th line one game but what team benches a player for being late once? unless the kid is a complete ****** behind close doors i cant see the leafs being this uptight over being late.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Remember, he fired the coach and told the players it's all on you now? They responded by sucking the bed. After that you want him to bench them for a game so they get the message? It is obvious to Shanny and the rest of the Leaf brass that the old core believe themselves to be above the law. If they want this to get them traded, it shall be done. If they think they are untouchable, I guess they'll have to wait and see.

I think you're right, it's too late for benching to have any positive effect.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Let the rats run the ship. That's the way all long term successful franchises steer their course.

It has been said by many since he arrived that Shanahan will try to mold the Leaf future on the Detroit blueprint. He started with management, then dumped the coach complained about by the players, replaced him with a guy who clearly is not intended for the actual job, he put the players on notice, he's decided from their putrid performance which young guys to hold on to and plans to ship out whomever from that other side he possibly can, and is now setting a standard for the future Leafs to uphold a la Detroit.

Those of you who want instant results will just have to keep ******** because this will be a step by step procedure leaving no stones unturned until this ship, which was totally out of control for so long, can be righted and steered straight.

I am not a real Leafs fan, but have been watching this show with Shanny since it began. I see it going according to long term plans so far and think the outcome will be pleasing, much in the same way Stevie Y has done in Tampa. If Tampa was TO, he would have been ripped every way but sideways with his moves which now look pretty smart. Shanny is in TO and he is getting the rip treatment, but he just keeps marching along one step at a time ignoring all outside input following his plan to make the Leafs a formiddable foe once again in the NHL. That hasn't been seen in a long time.

It appears he will have to get the Leafs back on top in spite of a large number of you. I read from many others in your camp that they think he's on the right path although don't necessarily see it all as clearly as Shanny does, but are willing to go along with his efforts so far.

Hoping it all comes together. The NHL needs Toronto back in the mix. It's good for the league and good for hockey.

For the record, most reasonable Leafs fans understand what Shanny is trying to do quite well and are supportive of what he is doing. Always seems to be the few bad apples with the loudest voice though.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
This is a perfect example (Kadri posse) of letting your emotions dictate what you post.
Oh the irony. :)

Does that somehow offend you, should I change it to Kadri fans, Kadri lovers, anti-Kadri non-likers, Kadri Clan, Jock Supporters? I think most people could understand my meaning quite easily without trying to assume there was an emotional attachment to my post. Quite simply many of the Kadri super group have come up with statements that are absolutely ridiculous. They just can't accept HE screwed up, simple as that. For Kadri's sake, lets hope he is more accepting of his mistakes & knows where to lay the blame.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Was it revealed what Kadri did? Late a couple times? Theres something we are missing right?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
This is Shanahan's little scrum
http://www.tsn.ca/this-won-t-be-tolerated-1.227828

I think Horachek dropped the ball in how he delivered the message on Sunday/Monday. (which is basically why Shanahan came out and cleaned up), but it really does sound if it was something simple, they would have swept it under the rug, take him out to lunch and talk about it - and that they have been doing it.

and they're doing this because they want him to be in the club, but be responsible for his actions. that's the key part in all of this, i think.

That would actually be Kadri taking the team out to lunch & paying the bill.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So the prudent choice is to make the hockey world speculate on what this kids problem is. They are free to do that, the media everyone. I am sure now they put a drop of Kadris blood out the hounds will be following him. They reduced his trade value at the same time so clearly that helps as well. Destroy his value, put him and his family on the spot and that's that.

I hope Kadri admits to his problems now. Tells it like it is and if they require rehab or whatever he volunteers it and screws the team back. Just remove himself from the situation, refuse to report and whatever else he needs to do.

This smells of an organization strong arming a kid with dirty tactics. An honest approach would be full disclosure of the problem with the consent of both parties and a plan to solve the issues.

I'll bet he fires his agent immediately and tries to track you down and hire you. You certainly have all the right answers to get a player who has been doing things the wrong way for a lengthy period to just get off the hook and get a great contract from another high ranking franchise.

Guys who refuse to report for in house discipline issues that can be related to the interested parties by the host team usually find themselves laughing at the team they won't report to and get mucho $ contract offers from a horde of bidders.

Someone needs to wake up to the reality of this issue instead of turning it into a nightmare of which you are doing a real good job.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Off ice issues that involve more than being late.

Where did you get this information? I only ask, because I haven't found anything that specifies it as being more than just being late... but likely more often than once or twice.

Have to laugh at watching the interviews about this, Shanahan specifically says "We made this decision as a group, the coaching staff"... etc and then right when he ends his sentence, a reporter asks "Who made the decision Brendan?" To which Shanahan says,"I just said"

.... also.. Shanahan says he told his players not to talk about it... yet that's all everyone in the dressing room talked about.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
if the leafs were closing in on a playoff spot does kadri get 3 games?

this has to do with helping the tank. i can understand sending the kid home 1 day or playing on the 4th line one game but what team benches a player for being late once? unless the kid is a complete ****** behind close doors i cant see the leafs being this uptight over being late.

I can almost guarantee you that this wouldn't have happened if the leafs were in a neck and neck race for the playoffs. This disaster of a season allowed coaches/management (rightly or wrongly) to pursue this type of discipline on him.

At the very least, it's going to be good for the tank - Kadri has been one of the team's few offensive producers as of late.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Does that somehow offend you, should I change it to Kadri fans, Kadri lovers, anti-Kadri non-likers, Kadri Clan, Jock Supporters? I think most people could understand my meaning quite easily without trying to assume there was an emotional attachment to my post. Quite simply many of the Kadri super group have come up with statements that are absolutely ridiculous. They just can't accept HE screwed up, simple as that. For Kadri's sake, lets hope he is more accepting of his mistakes & knows where to lay the blame.

I think all those are childish labels ( just like "Kadri Posse" and "super group") and I prefer intelligent discussion to name-calling. Have a look at your post, does the label "super group" add anything to the discussion? What does that even mean?

And no matter what the subject, there are always ridiculous statements made on both sides.

For the record, I'm a fan of Kadri. I also have zero problem with him being disciplined for being late and whatever else. Is that OK with you?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
exactly. we (and i mean the collective we, fans, media, whatever), have had the feeling that the inmates were running the asylum. to me - this action pretty much says, "this is stopping now."

(It would have been stronger had Hoarchek dealt with it better, but I think Shanahan cleaned it up rather well).

Seems to me that a certain part of two parts of this equation (some players, Kessel, Bozak and the rest of the core slackers and some fans, like those finding this action appalling) don't want to cede control and still want to continue running the asylum. I think their grip on the throttle has been removed starting today. The off season actions, both pre-draft and summer transactions, will either certify that or not.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Why do I get a feeling that Kadri is a goner from the Blue and White?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad